Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (SPOILERS)  (Read 245291 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Episode VII
« Reply #525 on: August 18, 2014, 09:50 AM »
I don't know. Thirty years later, are you still wearing the same cloths?

Aaah, never mind. You probably are.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: August 18, 2014, 09:54 AM »
New stormtrooper helmets will take getting used to but I like the freshness of the design.

+1
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline RyanMan12

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 18, 2014, 03:42 PM »
I hope the new stormtroopers aren't using the E-11 anymore. Also it would be nice if they hit their target

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 18, 2014, 05:33 PM »
I hope the new stormtroopers aren't using the E-11 anymore. Also it would be nice if they hit their target

I was thinking the same thing... not so much about the gun, but when I saw the sleeker helmet my first thought was that it would be cool if these weren't your grandfather's Stormtroopers - if they were actually kind of frightening and not so inept.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 20, 2014, 09:04 PM »
Meh, IMO there shouldn't even be Stormtroopers of any fashion 30 years after the fall of the Empire. (That'd be like having Nazis in full regalia running around in the 70's. Evil Empires disappear quickly) I kinda wish they would go in a different direction, like a Sith Army or something. 

I didn't realize how much spoilerage I had missed already. Luke is now in captivity? His lightsaber floating through space is the opening shot? Huh???
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline RyanMan12

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 20, 2014, 09:11 PM »
Meh, IMO there shouldn't even be Stormtroopers of any fashion 30 years after the fall of the Empire. (That'd be like having Nazis in full regalia running around in the 70's. Evil Empires disappear quickly) I kinda wish they would go in a different direction, like a Sith Army or something. 

I didn't realize how much spoilerage I had missed already. Luke is now in captivity? His lightsaber floating through space is the opening shot? Huh???
WHAT LUKE IS CAPTURED?

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: August 20, 2014, 09:21 PM »

Given that Disney doesn't care what your EU books say, shouldn't we wait to see the movie before we declare that the Empire's been gone for 30 years?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #532 on: August 20, 2014, 09:58 PM »
Nazi comparisons within Star Wars have their limits though.  Or at least I've always felt it's something people hold onto too much.  Visually there are some comparisons that are obvious and some subtle...  The term Stormtrooper transcends an SS Stormtrooper from Nazi Germany though, and I've always felt the Empire's Stormtroopers were more akin to the Stormtroopers of World War I and their overall purpose, but with a mix in of some of the German SS Troops of WW2 as well.

In WW2 though, the Germans weren't an empire to start...  The Empire in Star Wars, ultimately it is an Empire already.  It's just rebranded.  The Republic Senate becomes the Imperial Senate, and that isn't even disbanded until ANH and the Death Star's completion.

The Galactic Empire, at its onset, was a welcomed sight to most as well...  Nazism actually wasn't a popular political movement at first though, and didn't take hold right away by any means. 

Regarding the birth of the Galactic Empire though, Like Padme says, "This is how liberty dies, to thunderous applause".  The Third Reich was more born out of the way WWI ended for Germany.

In Star Wars I feel like the Empire's born at the end of ROTS obviously, people seem to want it and it seems to be a popular idea...  The war's over, and the only people who'd be against it would be the losers of the war ultimately, and as the Empire settles in and begins expansion I would assume it's where they expand that really get annoyed by it.

There's cut footage from ANH of Luke/Biggs discussing the nationalization of the planet...  That before long Owen would be another tenant farmer under the Empire's thumb.  Likewise, in TPM Tatooine's established as separate of the Republic and even far worse (they seem like a dangerous place, the Hutts appear to be inherently corrupt and dangerous, and slavery is tolerated here).  By ANH we see the Empire has obviously expanded to this planet, and overtaken it to some degree...  again, for better or worse.  Obviously some would support this, but people like Owen would hate it once he'd basically be farming for the greater good and not for himself.

Add into all that, the galaxy is literally millions of these worlds, if not billions, or more, who knows really, and the Empire seemed to have a VERY firm grip and support just at the end of ROTS...  In galactic terms that's not all that long I'd think really for the Empire to have solidified things by ANH to the point that the Rebellion is small (on galactic terms...  Small could be literally billions of soldiers and maybe hundreds of planets supporting it, and it's still just dinky compared to the Empire's side of things).

Flash forward the time from Jedi to the new trilogy...  The Empire and Alliance could really theoretically just be on more even footing is all. 

One has to assume immediately after Endor there's a certain fragmentation.  Palpatine probably didn't have a solid plan for a successor I'm guessing.  Just prior to and after Hitler's death, there was a lot of jockeying for position as to who was going to be in charge and call the shots...  It was also a crumbling situation though, so it's again not a direct analogy.

I'd think though it's reasonable some higher ranking people people within the Empire looked to take control, but there'd also be a lot more to take control of too.  You lost one fleet (a major one) and a 2nd Death Star, and your supported leader, by this point.  You're hurting, but someone is bound to be competent who could take charge and unite as well.  There are probably tons of people to pick from.  That was always the Thrawn Trilogy angle...  Grand Admiral Thrawn united things, and turned it around.

Evil Empires have disappeared quickly in our past because they've largely been beaten to a pulp by someone else at that point and just disappeared.  Think about the British Empire's decline though...  Far slower, and maybe more of an analogy perhaps?  Fell via rebellion to some degree...  not totally by any means, but some.

Just some thoughts though.  I think a galactic conflict, Galactic Empire, and its obviously galactic scale means it could have a galactic-sized timeline to it too that really transcends most anything in Earth's history...  The Empire could linger on for at least decades in some form or another.

I kind of found the 3 year span of the Clone Wars comical because it's so short.  I wish we'd seen it last somehow from TPM to the end of ROTS's timeline.  Much longer, much more destructive and impactful around the galaxy.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #533 on: August 20, 2014, 11:11 PM »
shouldn't we wait to see the movie before we declare that the Empire's been gone for 30 years?

What, and be reasonable?  Pfft. 

I heard the NEW EMPIRE is made up of all of Palpatine's illegitimate kids who've teamed up to get revenge on Luke for killing their dad...  Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith's Kids.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #534 on: August 21, 2014, 12:06 AM »
Wilt the stilt Palpatine?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: August 21, 2014, 12:17 AM »
Sorry to break it to you all, but the new trilogy will have nothing but EU/Legends characters in it.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #536 on: August 21, 2014, 12:20 AM »
Mind blown if they'd remove all EU only to put all EU back in.

People who sold all their EU memorabilia would jump off a cliff.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: August 21, 2014, 10:47 AM »
Given that Disney doesn't care what your EU books say, shouldn't we wait to see the movie before we declare that the Empire's been gone for 30 years?

LOL, not MY EU books! I hate that garbage...pure fan fiction, IMO.

I'm not trying to jump to conclusions either, I just always felt like ROTJ was the ultimate happy ending, and that this was the end of the Empire and the new movies would focus on a different kind of threat.

That's not to say it can't be done right, just not what my personal preference would have been.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #538 on: August 21, 2014, 11:09 AM »
Maybe the ending of Jedi was like George W. Bush's "Mission Accomplished" aircraft carrier speech. Did we ever have any problems in Iraq after that thing?
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: August 21, 2014, 11:16 AM »

LOL, not MY EU books! I hate that garbage...pure fan fiction, IMO.

But the CW cartoon stuff was all brilliant!  ???
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within