Author Topic: Kubrick book?  (Read 25656 times)

Offline spookedhippie

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Kubrick book?
« on: May 12, 2013, 05:04 PM »
Ok guys you can call me crazy... but hey. David Tree, who does the farthest shows here in the uk, asked me to do a presentation on Kubricks for the next Farthest show it got me thinking. Loads of fans it seems put out books for fans and as of yet there is nothing out on Kubricks, most people just confuse them for Lego. So...

This is a VERY rough idea of where I was thinking I might go so please ignore all the things like graphics, this is literally something I've cooked up in 5 minutes on Publisher. As the Kubrick line takes a huge amount of its cues from the vintage line I was thinking a book that celebrated the link, so rather than just a page by page count of each Kubrick figure, show the vintage figure along with it (might get a bit stumped on some but for the most part I think most of them are there).

Any thoughts?

Offline R5Don4

• Jedi Initiate
  • just ignore this *******
    • View Profile
Re: Kubrick book?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 05:18 PM »
That's a fantastic idea.  I've been waiting for this book for a long time.  If this could be done for $70-$100 per copy and be as exhaustively comprehensive as possible it would be a winner for me.  Watch out for the Disney Legal hammer.

Offline spookedhippie

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 06:24 PM »
Thanks dude, yeah on the Disney front, not sure how to sort that...I mean loads of fan books are out so must be an easy way...

And I do want to have almost everything in... Just got to find the bits and pieces I'm missing from my own collection...

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 10:38 PM »
Very cool  ;D
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 08:43 AM »
It is definately very cool, and I would be down for one for sure. I've been meaning to get good pics and do catalog for myself, this would save me time and look way better!

Offline Plasticlab

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 10:38 AM »
Lots of the figures were never made by Kenner.  :-\

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 10:51 AM »
I think its a cool idea, but would like to see more comments or visuals.  I'd ad least put in the side and back shots for each figure and a group shot where you can.  Maybe highlight if the figure is entirely new or uses some rehased parts, whether it was available on cards, etc.  I do like the 4" figure reference - maybe a movie picture reference as well?  Might me some liability issues there I suppose.  Cab's right - you would have to show a few of the more modern 4" figures in some places, the the Prequel waves, Toy Fair Vader, Maul & Speeder, Holographic figures, etc.  I'd probably pay $30 for something with all that, but not up in the $70-100 range.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline spookedhippie

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 12:17 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys. Like I say early stages on page design but definitely on the back and side pics and was going to have the accessories as a single pic as well. Group shots most definitely, thought open each series with a group shot... And yeah annoying to have to use some modern, see how that part pans out. Anybody any ideas on who I'd need to talk to to make sure this could get out without upsetting licensing? Medicom maybe? Lucasfilm? Going to start work on getting the pages properly laid out, will keep everyone updated! Again thanks for the support!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 12:53 PM »
Its my understanding that you own anything you photograph or record unless you are doing so from a copy of someone else's work.  For example, you can put pictures of your NFL jersey in your book, but you could get in trouble for using the NFL's picture of the Jersey or even a picture taken of the game without their written consent.  From a toy aspect, as long as you use your own pictures of the Kubricks and the 4" Figures, I think you would be fine.  However, you would want to secure Disney permission to include pictures or screen caps from the movies themselves. 

There's some light background on this via the site below...

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2011/06/14/understanding-copyright-and-licenses/#what-is-a-license
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline spookedhippie

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 12:58 PM »
Thanks dude, most of the stuff will be from my collection and any willing fans of pieces I don't have, so on that front should be ok. I'm guessing that would be the advantage of only having toy shots... Hmmm... I've contacted a few authors of other Star Wars fan books so that would hopefully give me some insight as to how they did it...

Offline Adrian

• Jedi Initiate
  • Follow me you will
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 03:38 PM »
Love it! Like the Kub/vintage fig picture idea (modern version is fine if the vintage fig doesn't exist). I'd be in for 70-100. Keep us posted on progress

Offline spookedhippie

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 01:21 PM »
Jedijman you were spot on, spoke to Gus and all I need are photos that are mine (or of willing volunteers on things I don't have) and a disclaimer and there should be no problems! Looks like this is a definite go!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 01:48 PM »
Cool - can't wait to see what you come up with!

Offline spookedhippie

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 04:00 PM »
Ok couple of quick questions for everyone... Hardback or paperback? Obviously higher cost with the former...

And second, carded kubricks? Already this is shaping up to be a big book and I only have two carded as I'm more of the loose collector. Would people want the carded in or happy with the series and box sets?

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 04:35 PM »
I would say have a carded section (2-page spread?) that shows the card releases.

(Late to the party here, but I've have for a long time considered a project like this, but have never had time to work something up.)

Edit. You know what would be cool? If the book came in a foil "blind bag" that you would have to open - just like the figures.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 05:26 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird