Author Topic: Buying a New Computer?  (Read 12209 times)

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a new computer soon... Suggestions?
« Reply #15 on: May 5, 2003, 10:39 AM »
We use Dells at work and I got a older Dell P2-400 at a computer show 2 years ago, it runs good and other than an occasional freeze up, I'm happy with it. Just can't play new games though. But I'd dig a Mac also if I had the extra fundage. 8)
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #16 on: May 5, 2003, 10:51 AM »
I own a Systemax computer from the company I recently quit from, and it's my second Systemax computer.  I love it!  Everything is brand name in it, and it has tons of room for upgrades.  Here are some of the specs on it (with some slight modifications done by me)...

-- AMD Athlon XP 2100+ with QuantiSpeed Architecture
-- 80gb 7200rpm hard drive
-- 768mb DDR memory
-- ATI Radeon 7000 64mb video card w/TV out
-- 24x10x40 CDRW
-- 16x DVD player
-- 56k modem
-- 10/100 NIC
-- 4 USB and 4 Firewire ports
-- ATX case

As far as some suggestions you could always go with this brand that I have (I'd buy another one in a heart beat).  Dell is a pretty good company, but I would NOT go with an HP/Compaq (their merger IMHO hurt them bad) or Gateway.  Those are just my opinions, and I can back them up if anyone needs reasons because I've worked on all the brands out there.

Whatever one you get though, make sure you have tons of room to upgrade (i.e. several PCI slots, memory slots, memory that can max out to at least a minimum of 1gb, and plenty of 3.5" and 5.25" bays).  HP/Compaq are problematic computers when it comes to doing upgrades on them.

Hope some of that helps you out Matt.
dustrho

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: May 5, 2003, 05:49 PM »
Personally Matt,

I've never been happier with a PC than I am with the one I have now.  I bought mine from a reputable guy in my area that hand builds PC's and also does maintenance.  He's nearby, and usually able to help me right away when I have any problems.

The great thing is though, that I rarely have problems with my PC.  As a matter of fact, the only problems I've had have been outside troubles like a power surge.

The machine iteself has never given me any problems that would have been the builder's fault.

He also works out pretty decent deals for me when I get upgrades and he does them all himself.  Since I send business his way, he's always willing to sell me stuff like say RAM when it's at its lowest price (He lets me know) and cuts me deals on extra stuff sometimes.  He's even installed software he knows I want, but can't buy (ssssshhh) :D

I feel sure there's someone like that in your immediate area that you could go to as well.

With that said, if you're gonna game my suggestion to you is to get one with extra RAM, a TOP end video card (Geforce 4 or higher if they've got newer ones out), and a fair sized hard drive.

I do a fair bit of gaming (especially on PC) and so my machine's built around that.  Games take up a bit of space, but are usually great fun...  The higher the RAM and vid card you get though, the less likely an upgrade is for you in the near future.  I have run off my vid card for a couple years now, and it isn't even top end.

That's my general advice though...  I like the convenience of the guy that built my PC.  I never worry about it, and so long as I do the regular maintenance it stays in great shape. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2003, 07:30 PM »
Alright...  I think the day has finally arrived!

Pretty sure I'll be buying this new beauty in just a few hours...   8)

Hewlett Packard Pavilion a362n desktop computer, featuring:
Intel Pentium 4 Processor, 3.00GHz, with Hyper-Threading Technology, 512MB RAM, 160GB Hard Drive, 4X DVD+RW and 16X DVD Drives, Microsoft Windows XP, ATI® RADEON™ 9200 graphics card, etc...

From CompUSA, for a couple hundred less than the list price they've got there (4 day sale right now).  Problem is, I haven't picked a monitor yet.  I'm gonna go 19" for sure, and thought I'd just get the bundle deal at Costco right now, but found out that the contrast ratio and response time on the HP monitors sucked.  So I've got a bit more research to do in that department.  But at least I've finally got the computer pegged, and for a reasonable price and at a good deal IMO.

Any of you gamers know if the ATI® RADEON™ 9200 graphics card is decent?  I know they're up to the 9800 series now, but hopefully this one is still a solid addition for those many SW games I've had sitting around for the past couple years, but haven't played yet...   :-\

Any recommendations on good 19" monitors, or monitor brands in general?  Or crappy brands to steer clear of?

Exciting to finally almost be retiring the old Compaq 266 Mhz piece of garbage we've had for the past 6 years!  My wife snagged a P3 Dell laptop for cheap last year, but I freaking HATE using laptops!  Time to join the modern era again, with something decent finally...   :)

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2003, 07:57 PM »
Looks pretty nice, some very nice specs. Now, go and get it!

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2003, 08:18 PM »
Matt, very nice system there!  Definitely go out and get it!
dustrho

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2003, 10:03 PM »
Very nice.  I keep watching Dell and when (if?) I clear the CC bill, I'll be joining you at some point.  

At this point I will again indicate Canada sucks, that listed price is around $1000 less than what I'd pay :'( even from Dell.  I'm looking at dropping around $2500-3000 shipped including monitor for a system not too different from yours.  I'll be going with 1 GHz of RAM and a 256 MB video card though.  Also adding a zip drive for the missus as she has one for work.  Soundblaster audigy 2 sound card as well.  Two disc drives like yours.

Only thing I didn't see listed (might be age related) was the sound card +/or speakers with your system.  If they aren't included and at least half way decent, I'm not so keen on that price.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2003, 09:48 AM »
Looks like a nice 'puter there, congrats on your decision.  My wife and I have been hoping to get a new computer pretty soon as well.  We currently have a P3 Dell that we got about 4 years ago, and once we have the money, it will be time to upgrade.  My place of work also has Dells (P4s), and I have been very happy with them...so we will probably go that route again.  We are kind of thinking about getting a laptop this time though, we have always liked those, and it would be nice to have the extra space too.  Hopefully someday....

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2003, 06:07 PM »
Update:  Yes, I did buy the thing!

Very nice.  I keep watching Dell and when (if?) I clear the CC bill, I'll be joining you at some point.

I'd been watching the Dell site too, and in fact, still am.  I won't be opening this up right away, since we don't have the monitor for it quite yet, so in the meantime, I'll be keeping a keen eye on the Dell site to see if there's anything better worth buying there, in which case I'll return this one...

Only thing I didn't see listed (might be age related) was the sound card +/or speakers with your system.  If they aren't included and at least half way decent, I'm not so keen on that price.

No speakers, but don't those usually come with the monitor?  Hopefully that's the case.  Not sure on the sound card, but I'd assume it's definitely got a decent one in there somwhere...

So, any input on whether the ATI Radeon is still a decent card for gaming, or is it already completely outdated?  And give me some good monitor brands too, while you're at it!   :-*

SilverZ

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2003, 06:47 PM »
Matt, I can answer on the Radeon to some extent. Right now they're the benchmark for game performance, but a 9200 might be a bit underpowered if you're looking to run something like Galaxies, or going for Half Life 2 (when my ex employer gets around to shipping it). It may be worth looking at a 9600 or 9700 (9700 is what's in my machine as well) or if you want to go super-crazy, the 9800XT!

That's a really nice rig you've just bought!

J

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2004, 10:48 AM »
Well I had to wait a lot longer than planned, but finally ordered a new computer last night.  Should have it in a couple of weeks.  Not quite what I had planned above, but it only cost $1650 Cdn delivered with a 17" monitor (just a regular CRT).  Went with Dell, really not much else choice up here IMO.

P4 3.0 GB with 800 MHz front side bus
512 MB DDR SDRAM at 400 MHz
128 MB GeForce FX5200 vid card
120 GB SATA hard drive
8x DVD+RW
16xDVD-ROM
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1

My old PII 300 just wasn't cutting the mustard.  It was crashing four or five times a night for reasons I just couldn't fix.  I could go into the same thread on here two different times, one time it would lock, the other not.  Tres frustrating.  So only a couple more weeks of cursing while online at night.  Whoo-hoo!
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Lazy, procrastinating dumbasses...
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2004, 04:26 AM »
Nice score B!

Alright...  I think the day has finally arrived!
Problem is, I haven't picked a monitor yet.  I'm gonna go 19" for sure, and thought I'd just get the bundle deal at Costco right now, but found out that the contrast ratio and response time on the HP monitors sucked.  So I've got a bit more research to do in that department.  But at least I've finally got the computer pegged, and for a reasonable price and at a good deal IMO.

Good Lord.  Has it really been 3 months since I bought that thing?!  What's totally pathetic is that I STILL haven't gotten around to buying my new monitor, so I haven't even hooked the thing up!   ::)  Sad, huh?

But at least I'm finished with my monitor research, and have picked one out!   8)  I'm going with this sexy new 19" Sony beauty...  Just waiting to find a decent sale price somewhere still.  Best I've seen so far is $300 off (of the $1,000 tag).   :-\  I think I need $100 more off, to finally pull the trigger!  Soon baby.  Soon!

Then I can finally join all you clowns in the JD chatroom again, since that thing doesn't work on my wife's crappy Dell laptop.   >:(

Even got the cable modem installed in the office a couple months ago for the new computer too, which remains unused as well.  Still fartin' around on the 56K here...   ::)

Maybe we should just rename this thread "Matt's a dumbass".  Yeah, that sounds about right!   :P

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy, procrastinating dumbasses...
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2004, 09:04 AM »
Maybe we should just rename this thread "Matt's a dumbass".  Yeah, that sounds about right!   :P

I'm all for it!  ;D   :P

Looks like a nice monitor Matt. I'm sure it will come down in price. 56K, yuck.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2004, 09:08 AM »
Maybe we should just rename this thread "Matt's a dumbass".

Just make sure it reads:

"Matt Colman's a dumbass".

:-\
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2004, 09:22 AM »
Maybe we should just rename this thread "Matt's a dumbass".

Just make sure it reads:

"Matt Colman's a dumbass".

:-\

Yes sir, you are correct. Gotta make sure we have the right Matt here!  ;)