Author Topic: 16 Most Useless SW Figures  (Read 5690 times)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
16 Most Useless SW Figures
« on: November 19, 2013, 02:20 PM »
Interesting (and funny) article over at io9:

http://io9.com/the-16-most-useless-star-wars-figures-in-the-galaxy-1467580491

Be curious to see what we all consider the most 'useless.'

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
Re: 16 Most Useless SW Figures
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 02:43 PM »
I thought that was a "useless" list. Didn't agree much.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 03:33 PM »
I thought that was a "useless" list. Didn't agree much.

The list really stated the obvious but the author's attitude really killed what could have been an amusing article... the guy seems to have some serious disdain for Star Wars fans. Perhaps he never got that Imperial dignitary as a kid, and it caused him to hate Star Wars ever since.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 06:18 PM »
Bricken used to run Topless Robot, and the site improved since he left.

I'm tired of these "negative attention" lists that anyone can write (and does), almost always based on petty crap and lacking any humour  ( the author probably thought he was hilarious). Invoking "kids" is also a good way for me to dismiss anything anyone says about anything, especially when we are talking about toys with a large collector following.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 06:20 PM »
I would like to see him write an article about the 16 characters that would make USEFUL Star Wars action figures that have never been made as action figures before.

I think he would be extremely hard-pressed to find any.

His facts are also off. For example, Hasbro created the Jocasta Nu figure with the intent that it would be this past summer's convention exclusive (SDCC & CE2) and Hasbro Toy Shop (or whatever branch of Hasbro runs the Hasbro "store" at these events) actually PASSED on the item. Hasbro passed on it's own product. Not that I'm a huge fan of Brian's Toys, but they were the ones who stepped in and committed to purchase the required Minimum-Order-Quantity of getting this already developed item produced.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 08:29 PM »
He's written other, "Star Wars Collectors Are Dipshits" posts for that site...  Why?  Who knows.  Is he possibly the one man a Star Wars fan beat up?  Did a Star Wars collector bang his girlfriend?  Who knows.  He just has this apparent disdain for adults who buy Star Wars toys... 

Scott, did you personally piss him off?  Your Willrow "R"ood took a bashing for certain...

As did both Beru figures, etc.

Of course, this is from someone who doesn't appreciate A) The obscure breadth of the line, II) The detail and quality of the figures (even Original Beru was pretty detailed for her time), and 3) being a Star Wars collector in general.

Basically, why complain about toys that are, clearly and undeniably, made for the adult collectors?  Useless?  I guess if you don't collect them...  what "use" is there to them regardless?  They're simply things to bring amusement, to someone, at some point. 

Not exactly Pulitzer material spun there, but whatever tickles your pickle, I suppose.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 12:18 AM »
Hmph. Except for that last Star Tours guy all his picks were unique sculpts. Those are always worthy in my mind.

My list of the 16 most useless figures would all be clone trooper repaints. Oh, and Pax Bonkik. He ruined Star Wars collecting for me. It hasn't been the same thing since they made him.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 12:27 AM »
I think the most useful figures are the ones that piss him off for reasons even he can't put into words (at least not properly, anyway).
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 02:03 AM »
I only own 14 of the 16 on this list, which is good, since I wouldn't want people to think I was nuts or something.

But anyway, not sure I get the inclusion of R5-D4, Dexter Jettster, Gragra,and Wioslea. Most of the fun derived from collecting these things is getting the droids and weird alien dudes.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 05:04 PM »
As a rule, I tend to find almost ANY list post on a website (that isn't say a wishlist poll) to be an absolutely useless exercise, and totally designed to drive web traffic.  I can't say that this iO9 looks any different.

Move along, move along.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 11:18 PM »
Io9 itself is actually a really good site. The article was a little whatever but I thought it might prompt some discussion on what we thought were useless figures. Suppose it depends on your perspective. R5 definitely isn't useless. He's the quintessential I want that other droid gateway figure!

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 11:42 PM »
I think he picked the wrong R5. The Rocket firing one is far more useless than the TVC version.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 11:51 PM »
Not to him.  To him, the rocket's for kids, and kids are everything in making a figure worthy from what I read.  :-\

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 12:50 AM »
Not to him.  To him, the rocket's for kids, and kids are everything in making a figure worthy from what I read.  :-\

Then every female salt shaker figure should have been on there.  (I'm looking at you Lucas kids)
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 01:23 AM »
Oh man, I'd almost agree, those were useless.

Half mine don't stand anymore.

Actually, I'd say damn near all my senator-esque dudes with fused legs, don't stand.  Like the Mon Cal Senator, or the Passel Argente and his repaint guys.  George Lucas' Blue Man Group figure too...  Their legs are a solid piece, and I've found the ankles lean under the weight of the figures.

I think the two daughters stand ok though maybe...  I think they had a little more stability to them for some reason.

But yeah, some of those Senator figures are really pure shite in design unfortunately.  I kind of dig having things that boring and dull in the line at all, and it's almost its own sub-line of "people who do nothing but go 'rabble rabble' in the background", but yeah, many of them don't want to stand at all any longer.  THAT is useless for sure.

Lot of Padme's like that too...  Wedding dress, that Kobuki one with her arms out at her side...  Lots of crap in the Padme world that doesn't stand and (for me anyway) I'd be just as happy if they didn't waste the tooling and paint aps on them.