Author Topic: The Black Series 3.75" - Wave 4  (Read 28304 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: The Black Series 3.75" - Wave 4
« Reply #30 on: April 1, 2014, 04:27 PM »
For those keeping track - as always, I kindly thank you for using our referral codes when ordering. :)

BBTS
Set of 6 = $59.99 plus shipping
Case of 12 (2x each) = $114.99 plus shipping

EE
Set of 6 = $59.99 plus shipping
Case of 12 (2x each) = $119.99 with FREE shipping
« Last Edit: April 1, 2014, 04:33 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #31 on: April 1, 2014, 07:15 PM »
The more I look at Torryn Far, the more I'm into what a nice figure she makes... Removable headphones, nice deco, new headsculpt.  I'm kinda hoping I can nab a few of her actually.  I'd dig making a Torryn Far in non-Hoth outfit.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2014, 10:20 AM »
Checking HTS every hour or so...

I hope you gave up on that a long time ago...

When are these supposed to start showing up?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2014, 10:38 AM »
I believe I have seen estimates of around June...so about 6 weeks out I would say.  Maybe within in the next 2-3 we should start seeing foreign carded samples.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2014, 09:46 AM »
Checking HTS every hour or so...

I hope you gave up on that a long time ago...

When are these supposed to start showing up?

Lol! I wound up pre-ordering a set from Dorkside toys.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2014, 09:53 PM »
So loose samples have shown up on eBay...some look better (Yoda!) some look worse (Luke!)

Check them out

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2014, 10:36 AM »
Meh...still not sold on Yoda's bulky robe and lack of belt. But yeah, those elbows of Luke's are out of control!

I had to really reel myself in and not order that Torryn Farr figure. I need to wait for retail on that, just because it's been so long since something was coming to retail that I wanted. (That being said, thanks for pointing out those auctions, I found a couple of real deals tucked away in that guy's listings!)

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2014, 12:03 PM »
I'll stick with my OTC Dagobah Luke but the others look nice enough. Double hinge joints like that never look very good on flesh, and rarely on figures this small, I'd prefer the stick to the ball elbows.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2014, 02:11 PM »
Personally I like Luke...  OTC exists, so for my money they were trying to deliver the Luke I wanted back when the OTC one came out.  A hyper articulated "do it all" Dagobah Training Luke figure...  So to that end I'm pretty happy.

I'm not a fan of the double-hinged elbow, and I would've preferred they tried to achieve a greater range of motion with their traditional ball-jointed elbows...  I think they could've managed a little more motion without as noticeable a joint as they have with the double-hinge.

I hate the double-hinges on GI Joes too, personally.  It allows greater motion for their knees, and that's cool and all, but I just don't care for the aesthetics.

That said, I'll take this version all day over the OTC statue...  It's good for hand stands or holding his backpack straps, and that's it.  This figure is just more "fun" to me. 

I'm excited to get Luke maybe the most...  I've waited since, what, 2004 now?  That and Yoda with the cloth backpack?  I'm giddy.  I'm getting two of each.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2014, 05:04 PM »
Those elbows are so glaringly bad though that it wrecks the athsetics overall.  The likeness and accessories are cool by me, I just think that looks terrible

I also don't get why they tried to reinvent the wheel here, especially with so may 3-3/4" Super Hero figures out there with bare arms

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2014, 05:35 PM »
I know what they wanted to do was have him able to hold his arms square to his chest ala holding his straps on the backpack...  The ball joint as it stands doesn't do that, but it could I think...  Some redesign.  They opted for the double-hinge which I don't like how it looks either, but for me the functionality of it trumps the aesthetics.

Hell, they've done articulated Luke bare arms already using ball joints and they obviously look miles superior to that...  They couldn't do what was intended here though either. 

So it's the trade off of function over aesthetics...  In this case, personally I take the function since one exists that opted for the other.  People are griping a lot, but for my money this is a $10 figure...  OTC is a $5 figure.  For $10 I want a Luke that can do it all.

Not to say if they did one with traditional ball joints down the road, that I wouldn't buy it.  I'd probably prefer it to this, given the option.  But this is better than the OTC for me...  This is the one that'll be more fun.  Just wondering now if I can make a little jacket for him to wear while he sulks.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2014, 06:49 PM »
I agree with JJ on this one, I give them props for the attempt, although the GI JOE Ninja style Articulation isn't my favorite either.  The OTC one was just such a little statue. It is interesting that we have swappable hands in this scale though.

I'm trying to tell from the Thor picture Scott posted but I have to squint through that Watermark, so it makes it difficult.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2014, 08:24 PM »
If we were really fortunate, a bare-armed Luke that exists already would swap perfectly with this figure's arms...

I can almost guarantee that won't happen, but yeah if we were lucky.  :(

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2014, 04:27 AM »
I think they could have achieved the look they wanted if they angled the ball joint a little bit. Really Dagobah Luke only needs to hold his backpack straps and keep his arms straight to do handstands and try to lift his X-Wing. I also get what they were going for here, but I can't really figure out why it looks so bad either. The Marvel figures with these joints look great.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks