Author Topic: Toy Fair 2014 Hasbro Presentation  (Read 6491 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Toy Fair 2014 Hasbro Presentation
« on: February 15, 2014, 01:46 PM »
Sounds like a lot of Kre-O news for GI Joe, but then 50th Anniversary TRU Exclusive 2-packs?  Hmmmm....  Interesting.

The Kre-O stuff, I have to say, sounds really neat...  I dig Lego though, so Kre-O GI Joe just seemed like a solid choice to me.  Terror Dome sounds HUGE!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Toy Fair 2014 Hasbro Presentation
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 01:46 PM »
Multipacks and things?  Sounds like GI Joe hasn't been abandoned yet.  Interesting.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 03:24 PM »
Multipacks and things?  Sounds like GI Joe hasn't been abandoned yet.  Interesting.

Interesting assortment of figures coming. Repacks, concept case designs, some new repaints. Good stuff overall, and a nice "Best of" series.

Also, no Duke.  :P  ;D

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152259401382679.1073741827.7647037678&type=1

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 03:40 PM »
Looks like everything from the Concept Vault case, except Gung-Ho and Storm Shadow. Stoked to see the Wolf getting a rerelease. Had that as a kid and loved it.  :)

I bet those Eel w/ NLC packs will go fast.

Also, pics here too: http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/conventions-9/gijoe-50th-anniversary-official-product-images-now-available-12796/

I don't know if anyone else here likes the Kre-O stuff (I love it) but here's new pics of that too:
http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/conventions-9/gijoe-kre-o-images-from-toy-fair-2014-12795/
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 04:03 PM »
So are these all Walgreens & Rite Aid exclusives?  Not holding my breath after last year...
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 05:12 PM »
TRU exclusives. Maybe we'll actually have a chance of finding them.  :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 05:52 PM »
Yeah, pretty much everything GI Joe is TRU exclusive now - 3.75", 12", and Kre-o.  May be some kind of SDCC, but otherwise it's all TRU.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 06:13 PM »
Seems like a good way to roll with the line...  Guaranteed to get out there, everyone has TRU available...  May be at a premium, but sales are abundant.  That's a win-win all around IMO.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 05:29 PM »
I'd much rather have an online exclusive, or shared exclusive, than TRU.  TRU is fine if you have a store in town but the closest to me are 35+ minutes in any one direction and their online handling of things is usually a crap shoot.

I'm also disappointed that Hasbro couldn't find a partner anywhere to do a 12" figure for the 50th Anniversary.  After all, it's the 12" figure's anniversary, not the ARAH 4" figures.  When the 25th Anniversary of ARAH came out I don't remember anyone thinking the 12" line got the shaft because there weren't any offerings but this time around the 4" collectors seemed to expect something and they got it.

Having said that, I pretty much want it all even though there are a lot of repeats of characters we already have.  The thing that always sucks is that you have to suffer repacks you have to get figures you don't.  Or vehicles, I guess, since I want the Wolf.  I'm also not thrilled that the classic colored VAMP Mk II & Flint will be part of the SDCC set even though there's some rumors now that it will be available after the show like last year's MP Transformers were. 

I am mostly happy with the character choices though.  No Duke, only 1 Snake Eyes, no Cobra Commander or Storm Shadow or Roadblock.  I'm very happy to see Lady Jaye vs Baroness also.  Plus it looks like the figure versions are solid choices for those that already existed.  The Night Marksmen set with Low-Light vs the Night Viper is an excellent set w/ a great theme.

The KRE-O line is kind of nice but the only thing I've bought from that are some of the bagged figures.  I'm glad they're doing more Adventure Team characters in the next 2 waves also. 

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 06:00 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of the "versus" format for the vehicle sets. I don't mind the 2-pks for figures since they should be relatively cheap and the figures are all good, but 2-pks on the vehicle sets means higher price points. I also would have loved to army build the Night Landing sets, but it's a pain in the ass to do when it's packed with another figure and vehicle.

After thinking on it more, I am also slightly put off by the apparent straight repacks like Lowlight, Hawk, and Blowtorch. While I appreciate Hasbro trying to get those back out for collectors who may have missed them, I would have preferred even basic repaints. A Lowlight with urban camo or a desert Cobra Trooper would have been sweet. The unreleased green/tan Blowtorch should have been a no-brainer to release instead of red/yellow. Clearly there was nor problem repainting the Night Viper or Snow Job, so why not go all the way by giving all the figures a fresh new paint job?

Hopefully this new assortment will be on display at Joecon. I am looking forward to finding out about pricing, as well as seeing the final packaging and finished looks for figures.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 06:02 PM by Greg »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 09:36 PM »
Yeah the bulk vehicle sets are tough to swallow if you want more than one.  I'd like that Flint (classic looking) as I don't have one for my meager ARAH shelf.   :-\

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 11:37 PM »
Yeah the bulk vehicle sets are tough to swallow if you want more than one.  I'd like that Flint (classic looking) as I don't have one for my meager ARAH shelf.   :-\

The EEL/Night Landing stings worse than the rest as it was slated for a release by itself in the Retaliation line, but I guess cancelled. *fingers crossed for discount store release at Christmas*