Author Topic: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (SPOILERS)  (Read 210021 times)

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Episode IX
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2017, 01:46 PM »
Maybe she dies of a broken heart?

Now that's hilarious
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2017, 04:35 PM »
This could cause a production delay that would finally put the movies out in May where they belong!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2017, 09:39 PM »
Kathleen Kennedy says Star Wars: Episode IX 'started over' after Carrie Fisher's death

Despite earlier reports, Kennedy said today that Carrie Fisher will not appear in Episode 9 at all. 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2017, 12:04 AM »
This could cause a production delay that would finally put the movies out in May where they belong!

Disney prefers the less competitive X-Mas season, they get the spill over of the January new movie dead zone.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2017, 03:10 PM »
Disney prefers the less competitive X-Mas season, they get the spill over of the January new movie dead zone.

Hey, I can dream!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2017, 09:01 AM »
Kathleen Kennedy says Star Wars: Episode IX 'started over' after Carrie Fisher's death

Despite earlier reports, Kennedy said today that Carrie Fisher will not appear in Episode 9 at all. 

It's good to get some clarification on that front.  Especially in light of the recent statements from Todd Fisher.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2017, 05:30 PM »
A week before I turn 30  :-X
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2017, 11:15 PM »
Wow, you'll be an old man. It'll be a good movie to send-off the last vestiges of your youth.  :D

So the return to May was supposedly  to avoid the Avatar sequel or something.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2017, 07:12 AM »
Wow, you'll be an old man. It'll be a good movie to send-off the last vestiges of your youth.  :D

So the return to May was supposedly  to avoid the Avatar sequel or something.

That doesn't make sense because the Avatar sequels aren't coming out until 2020 now.  They announced Avatar before Episode IX.  It looked more like Avatar was delaying to avoid Star Wars.

I have actually enjoyed the December releases since it gives me more time for multiple views due to the kids being out of school for winter break.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2017, 11:00 AM »
Maybe they did it to avoid themselves...  Disney also announced Frozen 2 for Thanksgiving weekend (November 27, 2019).  Probably didn't want parents having to decide between the two during Christmas break. :P

And, in other news, Disney will have all the monies in 2019 -

March 8th - Captain Marvel
May 10 - Episode 9
June 21 - Toy Story 4
July 19 - live-action Lion King
Late Summer/Early Fall - Avengers: Infinity War Part 2
November 27 - Frozen 2
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 11:06 AM by Jeff »

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #26 on: September 5, 2017, 06:18 PM »
So... maybe not surprisingly, this just happened:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/colin-trevorrow-exits-star-wars-episode-ix-1202548088/

I'm sure there are already a bunch of hit pieces of Kathy Kennedy being posted as I write this. Clearly something is going on in the world of Lucasfilm. I happen to think it's more the slate of five films in five years was a little more than anyone was able to handle. There's just too many moving parts and without Lucas there, maybe too many interpretations on carrying on his vision.

Who knows.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #27 on: September 5, 2017, 08:05 PM »
This is ridiculous. Well, good luck to Lucasfilm going forward. Seems to be a very "it's my ball and I'm going home" thing at Lucasfilm, god help you to be on the wrong side of that.

Wonder if they'll get anybody to work for them now. That's three ousted directors, equal to the number they haven't fired off their movies.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 5, 2017, 08:24 PM »
This is not a good sign for E9.  But then, where is the precedent for how things should be run in this new era?

In the OT era George wrote everything.  Sure, he had co-writers like Larry Kasdan.  And George directed Episode 4.  After that George bowed out as the writer/director and took an Executive Producer position while Irvin Kirschner and Richard Marquand directed.  But George was always intrinsically involved in the story and design.

For the PT era, Lucasfilm was a much better established film production company.  George continued to write with collaborators and was back in the directors chair.  Rumor has it that he offered the directing gig to people like Ron Howard and Spielberg, but they passed.  Probably because they knew that George would be there as a shadow director guiding everything, and essentially told George to just direct the PT himself.

Now?  Kathleen Kennedy is in that executive producer position.  She likely works on things like casting, crew hiring, production schedules, script approvals, etc.  But is she writing?  The answer there is no.  The only writer who seems to have held any kind of sway in the ST era is Larry Kasdan, who seems to be a writer/producer.  Rian Johnson also seems to have a similar position as writer/director of THE LAST JEDI, but that appears to just be the one project. 

I get the sense that Trevorrow's script was just not hitting the right notes.  But this far along in the project?  It really leaves you wondering if the production schedule has been so tight that the stories might be suffering.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #29 on: September 5, 2017, 09:07 PM »
There have beens signals that Trevorrow wasn't working out, and there was never any enthusiasm for him, so this may be a good thing. It's certainly better than getting all the way into production and realizing it's not working.

I think as Nicklab says the films so far have lacked a cohesive vision. Kathy Kennedy isn't a visionary filmmaker, but she knows what a a SW film and has 3 billion dollars to back her up. What the films need is a guiding force, within the context of the films, and that person seems to be Rian Johnson. He gets it. There's no issues with TLJ and he's most likely going to take over IX. I think that's great. What the films need is stability and continuity.

Also, I don't think Star Wars is as elastic as some, especially Kennedy, might have believed. Coming into this, everyone anticipated all kinds of possible movies - a war movie, a heist movie, a comedy movie. SW has been a synthesis of all these films and genres. When you lean on one, it suffers. I think a SW film is pretty much what we've seen. There are variations in tone, but not in genre. That bodes ill for future anthology films, and off the shelf directors. It has to be within a certain context, guided by a writer and or director who gets it. Not just knows it; they get it. It comes from a place of understanding exactly what these movies are.