Author Topic: Black Series 40th Anniversary Vintage - Wave 1  (Read 13097 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Black Series 40th Anniversary Vintage - Wave 1
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 10:55 PM »
My 6" collection so far is pretty much just Han, Chewie, and whatever freebies Hasbro has sent me.  These carded figures are really tempting me to pick up a few others that I've previously skipped.

Really tempted for some reason now to get R2-D2, C-3PO, and Luke to go with my electronic SDCC Ben set...  also tempted to get that new Vader sculpt and new Leia sculpt just to round out the "main eight" from ANH.

Of course, knowing me, I'd have to get a couple Stormies to help Vader... then the doors would be wide open for more...  hmmm...    :-[

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2017, 03:16 AM »
Weird that so much of Wave 1 is stuff that hasn't even shipped to big retail stores in its original form. I could see Leias and Obi Wans hanging on pegs in two different packages.

R2 is going to be the toughest figure to find but his rerelease should bring down prices on the secondary market.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2017, 12:03 PM »
Wave 1 is kind of annoying.  At least from the standpoint of someone who's been collecting the 6" Black Series from the start.  Granted, this move seems intended to rope in carded collectors, and that's based purely on the packaging.

It does also help people who got in on the line a little late if they want to build up their own collection without paying some insane secondary market prices.  I'm tempted to pick up another R2-D2.  And if there's some significant improvement with the Leia face sculpt I may pick up that one.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2017, 06:54 PM »
I feel like they're giving the people who balked at 6" to begin with and then realized they were some pretty nice figs their chance to catch up
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2017, 08:21 PM »
So Vader will not be available outside of the early bird set?

Is the regular boxed wave with the ERG and Hera supposed to hit before or after these things?

I figure Force Friday will launch with a new wave of TLJ themed figures. That means in the next 6 months they're going to have to squeeze in Two vintage waves, plus that wave I mentioned above. And then you have to consider the Baze/Chirrut wave, and for that matter the Revan wave which never hit retail outside of GameStop. That's five waves that would need to cycle through the pegs over the next 6 months. No freaking way!

Something is going to get squeezed out big time. Probably the Revan or Baze waves or even both. I just can't see all that stuff making it out to retail in that short time frame.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2017, 07:08 AM »
Oh, s**t.  That was the sound of me getting over seeing 6" figures on nice looking vintage style cards, and snapping back to reality.

Like anyone else who got in on the 6" Black Series on the ground floor, I have EVERY SINGLE FIGURE in this first wave of 40AC figures.  If the face sculpt is truly fixed on Princess Leia?  I'll pick up another one on the 40AC cardback so that I'm not displaing the 2016 6" version of Monkey Faced Leia.

Wave 2 is interesting...but are we going to actually see it?  Because I'm wondering if we're going to wind up with a glut of wave 1 on the pegs because so many people have those already.  Granted, Leia and Obi-Wan had less time in rotation at retail, but that's besides the point.  We have seen some numerous lines launched with reissues, and people didn't buy them:  3.75" figures, vehicles, Action Fleet, etc.  There have been numerous instances where the first wave in a line being a reissue has held up new product from hitting the pegs. 

It's almost like the definition of insanity:  repeating the same behavior time after time, while hoping for a different result.  Why does Hasbro think it's going to be different this time?  Do they think that vintage style cards are just magical and will make people forget they bought a $20 figure like Luke Skywalker JUST LAST YEAR?

***EDIT:  Amazon just listed wave 1 pre-orders.  Those are scheduled to be released on April 21st.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 08:47 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2017, 09:49 AM »
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 10:36 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2017, 10:35 AM »
I'm a little curious about how this line is going to come out as well. Does it temporarily replace the regular Black Series, or is it its own line where we could see these ship alongside the Hera/ERG wave? Like it was mentioned, the Leia and Baze waves haven't really didn't make it to retail yet - and you would think that this has to be mostly through before Force Friday in September. If next year's Han Solo movie really does keep that May release it currently has, the Fall/Winter 17 push for the Last Jedi might be larger than what we saw for TFA. Not that they can't continue to release things, but the bulk would likely be pushed through by Christmas.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2017, 10:45 AM »
I'm a little curious about how this line is going to come out as well. Does it temporarily replace the regular Black Series, or is it its own line where we could see these ship alongside the Hera/ERG wave? Like it was mentioned, the Leia and Baze waves haven't really didn't make it to retail yet - and you would think that this has to be mostly through before Force Friday in September. If next year's Han Solo movie really does keep that May release it currently has, the Fall/Winter 17 push for the Last Jedi might be larger than what we saw for TFA. Not that they can't continue to release things, but the bulk would likely be pushed through by Christmas.

I've been wondering that a bit myself.  Because there's a whole lot of information swirling around. 

-The Amazon listings for the 40AC wave 1 has an April 21st release date
-Lando, Qui-Gon, Hera and the ERG along with the AT-ACT Driver exclusive have all been shown in the red & black TFA Black Series packaging
-And the TLJ packaging theme just got revealed

It leaves me thinking that the 40AC will probably run alongside the final waves of TFA themed Black Series.  And we'll probably see a transition to the mainline packaging when TLJ launches.

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2017, 11:21 AM »
The 40th stuff is running concurrent to the BS line, so this spring should see the 12 40th figs and also the next waves of Black Series, which should be Hera/Lando/etc. I assume the vintage cards will go all year and there will also be TLJ figs in the fall, both on vintage cards and in the standard box. Wave 2 is where all the fun is at so I'll order a set or a case depending. Wave 1 will be heavily ordered at retail and with the case pack going up to 8, I don't know. I really think either Vader or the trooper should have been in wave 1.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2017, 03:46 PM »
Case assortment according to Dorkside Toys:

Luke x2
Obi-Wan x2
Leia x2
Han x1
R2 x1

So if you're looking for the harder to find figures, good luck.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2017, 03:55 PM »
Only one R2?  You'd think they would go with only one Obi, since he's recently released on regular packaging AND had a SDCC release.  I guess we'll be seeing lots of peg warmers blocking the way for wave 2...
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2017, 10:48 PM »
Yeah, the three most recent releases get the 2x per case and the one that you can actually display two ways (Han) and the one that is HUGE on ebay get 1x per case.  Makes sense.   :-X

I have seen this question asked and answered, but I'll just confirm what Darby said-
The 40th stuff is running concurrent to the BS line, so this spring should see the 12 40th figs and also the next waves of Black Series, which should be Hera/Lando/etc.

This is what I have heard as well - should ship alongside each other.  Ad it sounds like all the 'new' 40th figures (DS Trooper, Jawa, Vader) should get regular box release eventually as well.

Also, here are the press pics for Wave 1 - click on the thumbnails for a better look:

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2017, 11:58 PM »
Sorry - gotta pay the bills - #ad  :D

Entertainment Earth is now taking pre-orders for the Black Series 40th Anniversary Vintage Wave 1 Case as well.

$165 shipped is actually pretty reasonable I guess.  Surprised that Hasbro managed to keep these at $20 for these.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile