Author Topic: Welcome to the Jungle Gn'R Fan Club  (Read 130905 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Welcome to the Jungle Gn'R Fan Club
« Reply #120 on: May 27, 2004, 06:43 PM »
Now, I gotta go (really).

:)

Goddamnit.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #121 on: May 27, 2004, 06:47 PM »
Now, I gotta go (really).

:)

So it ain't so, Smiley!  Where ya' off to?  Do come back and pay us a visit again someday, eh.   :'(

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #122 on: June 4, 2004, 11:37 PM »
Just read an OLD rumor from around January that the DeLeo Bros from STP and Chris Robinson from The Black Crowes and a mystery Gn'R member were going to team up to form the latest super group...

Thought that was interesting, on of the Super DeLeo Bros and Robinson had worked together in the past...as for the mystery Gunner...

Adler
Izzy
Axl
Gilby
976-Horns???

Interesting

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #123 on: June 15, 2004, 10:10 AM »
Sooooo...anyone with any deep rooted thoughts on Velvet Revolver (or The Revolvers, is that what we're calling them? The Revolvers?)

Listened to it through a couple of times and its good, not damn good, not great but solid

Couple of things...sometimes the guitars drown out Weiland

Its a weird mix of classic Old Skool STP and Gn'R and you can tell who had more influence on some of the songs.

The swearing...not sure what it is, maybe a few years of listening to bands that don't curse as much but some of the lyrics were over the top with the **** and **** and anatomical references.  And its no different than a Gn'R record was so I'm not sure what bothers me about it, that to me is sort of weird and I can't put a finger on the criticism I have.  Maybe just moved on musically or mentally or matured???

The Rolling Stone gave it 4 stars, which I think is generous, I'd say a solid 3 out of 5...hoping they move on and start doing their own stuff (sort of like Audioslave did) instead of having half of a GnR and half of an STP CD

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #124 on: June 15, 2004, 10:27 AM »
Still haven't listened to the full thing yet.  Have listened to the PJ Harvey and Sonic Youth albums five or six times each, all the way through, if that tells you anything.  I've listened to the first couple of tracks, and the last couple.  Nothing really memorable so far.  I'll try and listen to the middle of it on the way to the store here in a sec for the Beastie Boys/Simpsons extravaganza.

I'm still very much looking forward to seeing the guys in person this Saturday--although mostly to see what they do with the GN'R classics.

No matter how mediocre this album may be, it's still great to see the guys working again, and it's still gonna be about a million times better than whatever it is that Axl is gonna finally release.

(As for the Chris Robinson/STP/GN'R rumor above--sounds like crap to me.  The only guys I could see being involved would be either Gilby or Izzy, and those are longshots.  For some reason, I've always been under the impression that Chris Robinson has never thought too highly of Axl.

But you know, it could be Teddy "Big Bag, Zig Zag" Andreadis on the harmonica. . .)

::)
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #125 on: June 17, 2004, 01:01 PM »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #126 on: June 20, 2004, 04:37 AM »
Hey, guess which JD member had his Velvet Revolver ticket stub autographed by Slash tonight?

:D

(Just missed Duff by a couple of minutes.)

(This'll go along nicely with my copy of "The Spaghetti Incident?", signed by Axl and Slash over ten years ago. . .)

Not to sound like Duthro, but awesome, awesome, awesome show.  

Great energy by the band--they were really into it from the beginning, as well as the crowd.  They played most of the album (think like nine songs), three GN'R, one or two STP songs, and covered "Bodies" by Sex Pistols for the finale.

The VR songs are a lot better live than they are on the album.  They seem really tight as a band, but at the same time, are really loose, and you can kind of tell that they really have fun playing together (and I believe this was the second-to-last show of the current leg of the tour--I read that they're taking a break for Slash's wife to have a baby or something).

The biggest hits of the night came when they played "It's So Easy", "Brownstone", and "Used to Love Her", and the crowd was totally into it, singing along with every word.  And they sounded good, too--after the initial shock wore off of hearing (and seeing) someone else singing these songs, I realized that it really wasn't that different than before.

As for the GN'R guys, not really much has changed, with the exception of a couple of new tattoos, but they all look good (especially Duff and Matt).  They look really toned compared to the old days, with that alcohol bloat.  As for Slash--well, he was Slash--tight curls hiding his face, cigarette dangling from his mouth, top hat on his head, t-shirt with "f--k" on it.  :)

I believe the last time these guys played Dallas was back in September 1992, with the big Metallica/GN'R tour, and man, what a different atmosphere it was this time around.

Given a choice between this type of show, and Axl's silly "Guns N' Roses Stillborn Musical Revue" which played all of--what--five stadiums?--a couple of years ago, I'm gonna take this show every single time.

Pearson, if they come through the Twin Cities again--don't skip out.  Hell, give me a call, and I'll fly up there and go with you.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #127 on: June 23, 2004, 11:34 AM »
Here are some pics of the show I went to in Dallas...it was awesome

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #128 on: June 23, 2004, 11:42 AM »
Here are some pics of the show I went to in Dallas...it was awesome

Congratulations--that's the last time I ever axe you for a favor.

:-[

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #129 on: June 23, 2004, 11:48 AM »
Though you may not be willing to accept the facts, there's a reason the JediDefender community is by far the largest in Star Wars collecting and it's not because the staff of the forums is inept. We manage it the way the community wants it managed and the first thing I throw out is a comment by somebody that tells me it was better when you posted at RS.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #130 on: June 23, 2004, 11:57 AM »
Though you may not be willing to accept the facts, there's a reason the JediDefender community is by far the largest in Star Wars collecting and it's not because the staff of the forums is inept. We manage it the way the community wants it managed and the first thing I throw out is a comment by somebody that tells me it was better when you posted at RS.

See?  There it goes.

I wanted to do a little bragging, Rayrob-style, about getting Slash's autograph and how great my "seats" at the show were, just to get a little bit o' love thrown back my way, but due to the way you had to word things, well, all of that's gone out the window.

Commence the Rebelscum bashing, okeoke?

Don't make me pull a Jango Fettish Obi-Robz Obi-Robz Cinemaddiction Obi-Robz Durge Durge Durge.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 12:01 PM by Virex »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #131 on: June 23, 2004, 12:05 PM »
On a serious note, thanks for making me feel like **** for missing the show here.  Sounds like it was an awesome time and I do hope they swing through again when my wife wouldn't divorce me for going to a concert mere days after the birth of a kid

So was the crowd a little more into it with the CD being out and there being some recognition of songs.  

And really, the Gn'Rlite version that toured was not horrible at all, sure it was a joke and the whole thing fizzled but Axl really put on a good show and I feel I got my money's worth.  I'll say it time and time and time again, anyone can duplicate a guitar sound, a singers voice is one thing that will never be duplicated and that is why I think it was a good show.  

Any bets on if there will ever be a Gn'R reunion?  Do you care?  With the money to be made I think that it would be a cinch within the next 5 years...maybe he'll hire them back to finish up Chinese Democracy

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #132 on: June 23, 2004, 10:34 PM »
. . .when my wife wouldn't divorce me for going to a concert mere days after the birth of a kid

She certainly needs to get her priorities straight, and you can tell her I said so.  

So was the crowd a little more into it with the CD being out and there being some recognition of songs.

Yeah, that's one thing I forgot to mention:  The crowd was totally into it, and they knew most of the lyrics to even the VR songs, too.  I think it was Slash that even mentioned at one point that the tour was going great, but now it's even better because the record was out and everybody knew the songs now.  

And really, the Gn'Rlite version that toured was not horrible at all, sure it was a joke and the whole thing fizzled but Axl really put on a good show and I feel I got my money's worth.  I'll say it time and time and time again, anyone can duplicate a guitar sound, a singers voice is one thing that will never be duplicated and that is why I think it was a good show.

The music may have been fine, but the whole thing kind of struck me as silly--it's like those bands from the sixties and seventies, who might have one original member left, who still "tour", and play the ******** venues of your city.

I wouldn't have a problem with that tour if it wasn't "Guns N' Roses".  If Axl wasn't such a dickhead about things, and changed the name of the band to something else--fine.  They could play all old GN'R songs only--fine.  

Any bets on if there will ever be a Gn'R reunion?  Do you care?  With the money to be made I think that it would be a cinch within the next 5 years...maybe he'll hire them back to finish up Chinese Democracy

I would certainly not want to see a GN'R reunion.  Yeah, if it happened, I'd buy the CD, and I'd go to the show, but I would prefer that it not happen at all.  What's great about GN'R is the same thing that's great about Nirvana, or The Doors, or Jimi Hendrix, or any other artist whose career ended prematurely, for whatever reason:  They're forever locked in a time capsule, and nothing can ever happen that will change that.  They're not going to become, say, a Rolling Stones, and have a decade or so of excellent music, followed by years of irrelevance, to the point where they become pale imitations of their former selves (not to knock the Stones, 'cause I love 'em--but they haven't done anything that's mattered since the seventies).

As it stands now, to me, Guns N' Roses will always be GUNS N' ROSES, the band that took the world by storm and kicked it's ass for about five years in the late eighties and early nineties.

Besides, if I were Slash, Duff, or Matt, there's no way in hell I'd want to get back with Axl right now, anyway.  They've got the number one album in the country, just got off a sold-out tour, and everybody's totally hyped about them.  They're gonna get back together with a guy who doesn't give a f--k about the fans, and who treated them like total sh!t, before firing their asses?  Hell no.

I'd love to know what's going on inside Axl's head, as he sees all of the positive word-of-mouth and great coverage of the Velvet Revolver tour and record.

I'd imagine he's really pissed.

Maybe we'll get a "Get in the Ring Part II" or something on Chinese Democracy, dedicated to the old guys.

Sounds silly, but at this point, I wouldn't put anything past Bill Bailey.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #133 on: June 28, 2004, 10:07 AM »
Hollywood Rose

Saw a review of this in the Rolling Stone, it got 3 Stars and said the worst thing was the added guitars and drums they added to the old songs.  Might think about picking it up somewhere down the line.  Not now though

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #134 on: June 28, 2004, 11:55 AM »
Hollywood Rose

Saw a review of this in the Rolling Stone, it got 3 Stars and said the worst thing was the added guitars and drums they added to the old songs.  Might think about picking it up somewhere down the line.  Not now though

Don't pick it up.  

It's horrible.

I was meaning to post here about it, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I'd rather burn a copy than have you go out and spend your money on it.