Author Topic: 'The Hobbit' movie  (Read 105291 times)

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
Re: 'The Hobbit' movie
« Reply #105 on: June 14, 2009, 01:59 PM »
Sure, it worked in X3. But remember the Xavier cameo at the end of Wolverine? It looked like garbage, and that was only for a few seconds. So it's not failproof. And last I heard, they're planning to go with younger actors for the Magneto movie, although that wouldn't rule out using the technique for some scenes.

The issue, I think, is efficiency. The time and effort expended on doing this would be better spent on sets, wardrobe, or whatever, and simply casting a younger actor to play the role. Efranks' analogy is apt.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 02:00 PM by Nathan »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2009, 01:18 PM »
Still, while continuity is great, Bilbo was about 51 when he left the Shire in the Hobbit and he was 111 when we see him at his birthday in Fellowship. 

True, but Gandalf himself notes that Bilbo "hasn't aged a day."  The ring has kept him in his "youthful" age of 51ish since it first came into his posession.  Once the ring is gone, Bilbo ages rapidly at Rivendell while he awaits his trip to the Grey Havens.

I'm not sure how they should do it, but Bilbo in the Hobbit needs to look like Bilbo in The Fellowship as much as possible.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 15, 2009, 11:12 PM »
The real problem is that 51 for a hobbit is much, much younger than it is for a human. Frodo is actually 50 for most of LOTR. He's 33 at Bilbo's party--which is the age of majority for hobbits so it fits that Elijah Wood was about 18--and according to the books 17 years pass before Gandalf returns and Frodo leaves the Shire.

So 67-year-old Ian Holm is playing 111-year-old Bilbo who should theoretically look the same as when he was 51, which actually means he should look about 30 in human terms.

Twisted, isn't it? :P
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 04:02 AM by Nathan »

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 18, 2009, 12:16 AM »
David Tennant as Bilbo?

I've never seen an episode of Doctor Who, but he looks the part at least.

"Newspaper reports suggest the 38-year-old is up against Shameless actor James McAvoy and Harry Potter's Daniel Radcliffe."

I call bull**** on that part ... Radcliffe is too young and instantly recognizable, and didn't McAvoy already shoot down the rumor somewhere?

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 18, 2009, 03:22 AM »
I like Daniel Radcliffe but he's Harry Potter.  It's going to take a few years and some radically different films out of him before I'll see him as any other character.  And, yes, WAY too young.

Besides, he's going to be tied up with Deathly Hallows till next year some time so depending on when Hobbit started filming, he might be available.

Tennant would be good!  I like him, thought he made a great Doctor.  McAvoy is a good actor also and I could see him in the role, I think.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 18, 2009, 10:43 AM »
I've heard the Tennant rumor as well. It's really strong and supposedly they're close to a deal.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 31, 2009, 12:00 AM »
http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a168371/jackson-the-hobbit-is-not-greenlit.html

"We have to deliver that [the script] to the studio. They have to read it. They have to like it. They have to agree to a budget. They have to green-light the movie, because we haven't really got a green light."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 31, 2009, 12:30 AM »
If Tennant got the part, he would be the world's tallest Hobbit. He's too tall and skinny.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 31, 2009, 12:45 AM »
http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a168371/jackson-the-hobbit-is-not-greenlit.html

"We have to deliver that [the script] to the studio. They have to read it. They have to like it. They have to agree to a budget. They have to green-light the movie, because we haven't really got a green light."

And in other breaking news, it's Thursday in Hollywood.   :P
With the **** that gets the green light now, I can't see how a Hobbit movie wouldn't get made eventually unless the budget caused some exec an aneurysm.  That or the lack of mechanical spiders and polar bears fighting robots caused all the producers to pass. 

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 9, 2009, 09:21 AM »

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 3, 2009, 09:26 AM »

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 11:32 AM by BrentS »

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 10, 2009, 01:34 PM »
I'm assuming you are referring to Bilbo.  From what I've read, that roll will be recast and perhaps that's why it wasn't mentioned.