Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Cigars
« on: October 1, 2003, 02:19 PM »
Anyone know how a citizen of the US can get some Cigars made on an island just south of Florida?  I know Canuckians can get them...anyone ordered any online or had some smuggled in?  Just Curious

Signed

Anonymous

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
Re: Cigars
« Reply #1 on: October 1, 2003, 03:10 PM »
Many ways to get those island brands,   UK based shops ship them to the Us, In therory you can get them from anyplace as long as its not "that island"  I know a friend gets them when he is in Jamaca they are just relabled as not to get a responce from certain customs officials "wink wink"

But in my experiance with fine cigars some of the better rated brands are from other areas where the top Cuban rollers have defected to. There are some very good Dominican brands, as well as others.  

PS said friend is traveling to Jamacia again in a few months and may be bringing me back a box of island cigars, if he follows through I would gladly send a couple to you.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2003, 03:11 PM by Reconsgt »
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 1, 2003, 03:46 PM »
I get them when I'm in Canada
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #3 on: October 3, 2003, 02:49 PM »
This is about the 6th month I've been smoke free, first of all.  :-*

Anycrap, have any of you guys smoked one of those cheap ass 50 cent Peach flavored cigars? That was one of the last things I smoked, and I couldn't help but wonder at the time what an 'island' cigar tasted like... Anyone care to describe the flavor?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: October 3, 2003, 03:21 PM »
I've never had one, my lil' brother is tying the knot next month and I wanted to do something special.  We smoke some cheapo ones at the bars every now and then and we will go really cheapo when and smoke some Swisher Sweets when we fish...

I bought some nice Dominicans when I got married for all of the groomsmen, all of out smoking that night was just a memorable part of the whole day of memorable parts.

If anyone has some good Dominican recommendations I'd be much abliged since I will probably not be able to get some "Island" versions by then

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 3, 2003, 03:29 PM »
I could try to find some, but not sure what's available around here.  Someone from Toronto would be a much better bet, but if you give me some brand names, I can take a look.  I know where the best smoke shop in the city is located (Thomas Hinds) so it's not a big deal.  But I haven't a clue what I'm looking for.  And shipping :-\
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: October 3, 2003, 03:31 PM »
I'll ship you a Hailfire Droid, you replace the Missles with "Island Missles" and then ship it back...done and done  :-*

No big whoop, like Wayne says Domicans can be just as good as the Last name of the Owner of the Mavs versions

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 4, 2003, 02:26 AM »
As for some decent Dominicans, it depends on what you like.  Punch is pretty good.  I smoke these when I can.  So are AVO's, Griffins, and the Dominican Cohiba's.  Jose Marti's are a nice cheaper cigar, too.

Feedback

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #8 on: October 3, 2006, 12:12 AM »
I started on the "death sticks" this spring. A buddy turned 18 in March and bought himself some cigars for his birthday, which he was willing to share ... I started out on a plain Swisher and it's been downhill ever since. (No, I don't smoke cigarettes and don't plan to start.)

I was on kind of a tobacco bender over the summer (wayyyyy too much unsupervised free time ;D) but I've cut down since school started up again and I've got more important things to occupy my attention. Also, yesterday I instituted a new rule for myself: on Fridays and Saturdays only, and especially no more smoking on Sundays--it seems extra sinful. :-\ Past attempts at self-regulation have mostly failed, but we'll see how long I can stick to this one....

Anyway, this is my favorite kind so far:

Grossest thing I've ever smoked was these:

Tobacco and mint ... two great tastes that do not go great together.

Not counting cheap packaged stuff, the last "good cigar" I had was one of these the weekend before last:

It was pretty good but the amaretto flavor might've been a tad overpowering. Smelled awesome though.

Discuss....
« Last Edit: October 3, 2006, 03:09 PM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 3, 2006, 12:40 AM »
Still on them.  :-\

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #10 on: October 3, 2006, 01:49 AM »
I bought a pack of Peach Owls this June, but never smoked any of it... just wasn't feeling like bleeding my throat out any. I'd still like to try a Cuban. The best cigar I've had was from Disney - dipped in Kaluha... Mmm.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #11 on: October 3, 2006, 01:49 AM »
I had the chance to smoke a cigar from the aformentioned unamed island back in 98 when I finished a deployment in Kuwait and spent 24 hours in Rota Spain.

I now get excited everytime I see news of Fidel Castro's ill health.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 3, 2006, 09:28 AM »
I have a Client who has a son that has a Govt. Sponsored Vacation to said island in the "Bay" region of said island.  He brought me a box of those cigars from down there...and let me say, the Dominican Cohiba and Macanudo (the big ones not the Cigarillos) are just as good if not better.  I ended up sharing mine with folks who wanted the novelty.

I've had "island" cigars about a dozen times and I think the "bang to hype" ratio is way out of whack.  But you have to have one, just so you can say you did it.

Mixing flavors within the the Cigar is always a bad idea, be it peach, mint, coffee.  However dipping it in the aforementioned Kahlua or Cognac is pretty nice, just make sure you get the right Cigar.

Now if you are looking for a cheap cigar that is not too terrible...gotta go with "Backwoods"...they look like Clint Eastwood Spagetti Western type cigars.
« Last Edit: October 3, 2006, 09:30 AM by Paul »

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #13 on: October 3, 2006, 03:11 PM »
Mixing flavors within the the Cigar is always a bad idea, be it peach, mint, coffee.

I don't know about "always"; in my experience it works about half the time.
I like both of these vanilla varieties:

But then again I've had peach and Kahlua cigars that didn't turn out well at all. Another friend tried grape once ... I wasn't brave enough to try one but it smelled very peculiar (well, mostly of grape ::)).
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 3, 2006, 04:59 PM »

I've had "island" cigars about a dozen times and I think the "bang to hype" ratio is way out of whack.  But you have to have one, just so you can say you did it.

The quality doesn't live up to the hype.  The reason being that the state of agriculture on the island has slid pretty far down.  The embargo has definitely had effects on the state of things there.  Should things change politically on the island, I think there will probably be a sort of boom there in agriculture (tobacco, sugar cane, rum, etc) and tourism.  But the political climate has hurt the island.  I know I'd be smoking their cigars if things change, but even with Castro's illness it looks like things are going to remain the same.

Feedback