Author Topic: What else do you collect?  (Read 23499 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: What else do you collect?
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2003, 11:57 PM »
I rahter liked Tigerforce, because of the deco partly, but also the figures looked nice...  A "unique" off-shoot of many characters I liked, such as Recondo.

And seeing the Rattler in Tiger camo, the Dragonfly, etc...  Those looked pretty damn nice like that.  :)  

Battleforce2000 wasn't bad either, and their vehicles formed a fortress...  Not "realistic" like some of the earlier joes had been, but not too bad looking either.  

To me, Joe jumped the shark when the big neon weapons started coming out, and when the "weapons that really shoot" thing was getting overdone.  That was never something Joe was into, and it just made things goofy, and many accessories grossly oversized.

I will say, some earlier items were the first signs of the apocolypse though...  Like the Golobulus figure, and while some love him, I say Serpentor was one of the earlier signs that things were going downhill...  Simply trying to replace Cobra Commander in the first place never struck me as a stroke of genius.

There was some great things though, and to me the first 3 or 4 waves will go down as the BEST waves of toys ever.  I mean, that first time you opened Snowjob, and saw skis that you could have him slide down a packed snow hill, well that rocks...  And having Airborne repel down a rope...  Those first vehicles that tied in perfectly to the first series of figures...  The first glider vehicles that really flew, and they actually would stay in the air a long time and do loops...  The Skystriker with working ejection seats that had parachutes on them.

Come on, that's GOOD toy making.  That's toy making Hasbro seems to have left LONG behind.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2003, 12:05 AM »
In terms of the other things I collect, I've gotta give props to Toy Biz this year.  They've really improved from their early days of hackneyed Marvel representations.  Just look at some of the Marvel Legends line, and the LOTR figures.  I'd argue that the LOTR Prologue Elf is one of the best basic figures I've ever gotten from any line.  And Sauron is right up there as a Deluxe.

And as for Marvel Legends, can you believe the fan base they've built?  It's incredible!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Mandalorian Madman

• Youngling
  • He's no good to me at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2003, 12:25 AM »
There was some great things though, and to me the first 3 or 4 waves will go down as the BEST waves of toys ever.  I mean, that first time you opened Snowjob, and saw skis that you could have him slide down a packed snow hill, well that rocks...  And having Airborne repel down a rope...  Those first vehicles that tied in perfectly to the first series of figures...  The first glider vehicles that really flew, and they actually would stay in the air a long time and do loops...  The Skystriker with working ejection seats that had parachutes on them.

Come on, that's GOOD toy making.  That's toy making Hasbro seems to have left LONG behind.

amen to that. I loved gi joe. it was really the only thing that ever knocked off star wars for me as a kid (though boba fett was often recruited for top secret cobra missions, usually when firefly was unavailable..i.e., captured and held in castle greyskull)

the playability of those toys was off the chart and the accessories that each came with were great...especially ones like stormshadow, scrap iron, and firefly.  though the 'regular' army look of that first wave (short fuse, rock n' roll, breaker, etc) was cool.  it made scarlett and snake eyes stand out even more

I've thought about replacing a lot of my original ones since most are a helpless pile of arms and legs and busted o-rings (though insanely loose firefly is still on my desk along with insanely loose boba fett).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2003, 12:29 AM by Mandalorian Madman »
JD

"Open them.  All of them."

Offline Lemon-Viper

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mudhole? Slimy? My home this is.
    • View Profile
    • Son of Bob.homestead.com
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2003, 11:19 AM »
Those o-rings are extremely easy to replace.  You could have a working army again for around $4.00(depending on how many o-rings you need) if that's all that's keeping your figs apart.  You can get the right sized o-rings from any hardware store, or off most Joe collector sites.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2003, 11:22 AM by Lemon-Viper »
Stressed out?  Poop.  It'll make you feel better.

Offline Sith Bounty Hunter

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hunting new figures daily
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2003, 01:08 PM »
>Baseball and Football Collectibles
>X-men and Spider-man Comics
>1:64 Street Racing Diecast cars
>NBA, NFL, and MLB jerseys
>LeBron James

Dont under estimate the power of a sith lord

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2003, 02:54 PM »

newest addition to my other collection. This is a net pic, but it is the same color and model as the one i recently found locally. Buick GS. I need to do some small work to it as it is still 100% stock. This will be my summer project.
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2003, 10:47 PM »
YOu collect full size automobiles? :o  Kewl.  

I just need my 67 Camaro SS and my 64 1/2 Mustang convertible and I'm done.  

In my dreams.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2003, 01:19 PM »
Yes to a degree I do collect cars, much to the dismay of my wife. She complains that they take up to much room. They do but its not like I have hundreds. I have a few.  I always regretted selling a car I restored so now I don't sell them anymore ;) I am fortunate enough to have a large shop to store them at my dads house. I can't afford to buy show cars, so I find good solid cars to restore. I have a cousin in arizona who helps with some solid cars. I hate living in the rust belt of WI. I have been into cars and racing since I was 14. I still have the 70 SS RS camaro I drove in high school.  Cars and racing is my other big passion.

Anyway I can get you a good lead on that 67SS camaro.  Can't do quite as good as a deal as the Vader though ;)
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2003, 01:25 PM »
If you said you also collected motorcycles with those cars Wayne, I'd swear you were Jay Leno!  ;)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #84 on: August 4, 2003, 02:19 PM »
Update!!!

While traveling the past few months, I have been able to score Philadelphia versions of the quarters I needed

I also today got my newest quarter...Maine!

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 4, 2003, 03:13 PM »
Going to add to the List

- Star Wars
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (old)
- Transformers (G1 and reissues G1)
- Masters of the Universe (new)
- Dino Riders
- Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
- Jurassic Park
- Batman (various items, usually bad guys)
- X-men
- Spiderman
- Marvel Legends
- Terminator 2 (kenner)
- GI Joe
- Spawn
- Movie Maniacs
- Various Mcfarlane
- Super Powers Figures
- Simpsons
- LOTR
- Star Trek (but i stopped)
- Band Figures (Korn, Metallica, etc.)
- Godzilla
- Dark Heaven Apocalypse Miniatures, by Reaper
- DBZ (but i stopped)
- Beast Wars
- Inaction Figures by Kevin Smith
- Animal House figures
- Gremlins
- Heroclix (but i stopped)
- Hot Wheels (but i stopped)
- Ghostbusters
- BeetleJuice
- Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves
- Army Men
- Misc.      lol

Some of it i don't collect nearlyt he same way i used to,
but i will always pick up an item under its name if i see one.
« Last Edit: August 4, 2003, 03:16 PM by Dimetrodon »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2003, 04:09 AM »
Going to add to the List...

Holy crap Andy, that's a lot of stuff to collect!  You need to talk to Brent (Morgbug) about what happens when you spread yourself too thin on the collecting front...   :P

Damn Scott, haven't seen a Maine yet out here...  My State Quarter collection has officially fallen behind once again...   :'(

On a SW collecting subset note - while we were doing some packing tonight for the big move, my wife discovered my new stash of the SW Playskool sets that I had hidden away.  Uh-oh!  Someone's in trouble!   :o  I tried to pawn them off as Brent's, since I'm sending him a couple as well, but she didn't buy it.  She's mostly pissed 'cause she thinks they look STUPID!   :-\

Offline carebear

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2003, 08:21 PM »
Damn, nice collection Chris.  

Not too sure about that cow Fettish your wife has going there though.  If she ever signs on, I fear her username ;)

Now, what were you saying about my COW Fettish???   :o ;D ;)
Carrie Rhoads
DUSTRHO is my hubby!!!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2003, 10:42 PM »
Damn, nice collection Chris.  

Not too sure about that cow Fettish your wife has going there though.  If she ever signs on, I fear her username ;)

Now, what were you saying about my COW Fettish???   :o ;D ;)

LOL, I love the username.  That or I'm just afraid.  How long was this thread buried and now I'm in trouble with not one guy's wife, but two :o ;D

Matt, you want me to drop an email asking where my playskool figs are ;)

« Last Edit: August 17, 2003, 11:19 PM by Morgbug »
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline carebear

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2003, 10:46 PM »
 ::)
I'll forgive ya!  Someone found the thread for me!   :P
Carrie Rhoads
DUSTRHO is my hubby!!!