Author Topic: A morality question  (Read 1691 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
A morality question
« on: December 28, 2003, 12:15 AM »
You're sitting in line at Target, a brand spankin' new Sliver Surfer from Marvel Legends series 5 in your hands. When the cashier scans the item, it doesn't scan. She tries a few more times. Finally, she has to actually speak to you to ask you how much the price was. You answer:

My answer was $5.99. I know full well that Target's price on Marvel Legends is closer to $7 each, but if they couldn't take the time to enter it into their computers (it must have been a return) then I'm going to take advantage of it. I did the same thing yesterday when I found Sabretooth at the same store.

So tell me, what would you do if the same thing happened to you?
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: A morality question
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2003, 12:21 AM »
It would depend on how the cashier/employees have treated me.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2003, 12:32 AM »
WEll, I'm not bright enough to think that quick on my feet, so whatever I thought the price actually was is what I would tell them.  It probably doesn't hurt that I make enough money that a buck won't make much difference to me.  

Realistically, I think store statistics would show that in all likelihood you've been overcharged at some point.  I know I have and if I didn't check my receipts the store would be getting money for nothing.  I don't feel too bad when they take the occasional loss.

Speaking purely morally?  I would tell them the right price.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2003, 05:33 AM »
I can't say for certain what I'd do in that instance.  I was faced with a similar situation not too long ago.  I look out for a number of things for some friends of mine.   One time, I found a Justice League Hawkgirl, and I knew a friend was looking for it.  So, I pick up that and something else, and head to the registers at my friendly neighborhood WalMart.  The cashier tries to ring Hawkgirl up, but it isn't scanning.  So, she doesn't even ask me a price, and just enters it at around $4.99.  I know something about toy lines, and that this figure should sell for about $6.99 or so.  But, she did this so fast, I didn't even have time to protest.  

In my opinion, you should try to be honest as often as possible.  I think in the long run, it will pay off in karmic value.  Honesty will pay off more often than dishonesty.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2003, 04:05 AM »
This happened to me the other day when I picked up a Colossus figure for Brad (A.E).

I knew he had wanted one, but I couldn't find it as his secret Santa. Still, I"ve been keeping an eye out, and when I saw it...I bought it just to be safe. Luckily, he wants it, and tomorrow it's on the way.

When the cashier tried to scan it, it didn't ring up. Maybe these new figures aren't in the system at all Targets?

Anyway...She tried a few more times. She was about to call for a price check, when I told her it was 6.84.

That's what the price on the rack said, and that's what she rang it up as.

Sure...I probably could have taken that quick opportunity and lied, and maybe saved a dollar. Maybe even 2. But why? My integrity is certainly worth more than the lousy 90 cents.

In a situation like that, you're given a choice. Be honest or be dishonest.

I'm no saint, but I don't see any reason to lie to save a buck on a toy.

Got Clones?

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2003, 07:22 AM »
I always try to be as honest as possible.  If an item is my hands, then that means I want it and I'm willing to pay for it.  However, if the cashier rings it up lower without asking me, then I'm not going to protest.  Their mistake, not mine.  This actually happened to me at Suncoast.  I found Statler and Waldorf from the Muppets line for my wife for Xmas.  They didn't have any pricetags on them, but the other figs were $9.99 each.  I bring them up to the counter and they don't ring up.  The cashier tries two more times.  Finally the manager standing next to her tells her "I think they're $7.99".  She rings them up as such, I pay, leave and go about trying to navigate through the ignorant asses who populate the malls during the holiday season.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2003, 12:43 PM »
I suppose it's the exact same situation as when a cashier gives you a few dollars too many in change. Change for a 20 instead of the 10 you gave him and such.

You have two choices. Tell him, or pocket the cash and chalk it up to his ignorance.

One choice is right, and one is wrong.

All the excuses you make to justify making the wrong choice and pocketing that money don't make it right, but sometimes they do help you to feel better about it.

Got Clones?