Author Topic: Official Television Thread  (Read 154990 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Official Television Thread
« Reply #300 on: September 6, 2012, 10:48 AM »
Anyone ever read The Road by Cormac McCarthy or seen the movie?  Something similar happens that society crumbles...nobody really knows why but there is ash constantly falling etc.  People have guns and things but there is no power...so people are forced into some really gruesome things to stay alive.  I doubt they'll go that far here but it is an interesting concept.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 6, 2012, 11:43 AM »
If anyone watched the show Jericho, they did something that I liked better than what some other movies/TV shows have done; after the nuclear blast, which fried unshielded electronics like computers, modern cars, power plants etc, they still were able to get older cars w/o electronic control systems up and running.  I think they even eventually were able to get some local power back for things. 

We live in a modern society with a lot of tech, but we also have a lot of knowledge.  If something happened and the main power grid failed, you can't tell me that there wouldn't be engineers hooking up small wind, water or sun powered houses and buildings.  Even steam powered.  I can't picture a modern society not coming together and rebuilding.  Unless something really catastrophic happened.

I guess I'll have to see how they write this new show, Revolution, to see if I buy into it or not.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 6, 2012, 12:15 PM »
Usually all the old people that know this stuff are dead.  Twenty-somethings and younger will have to figure out how to wipe their asses without that app on their iPad.  ;)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #303 on: September 6, 2012, 01:52 PM »
My dad cast his own bullets.  Even without advanced manufacturing capabilities you can still make ammo.  And 20 years after the power goes off I'd expect there'd be ammo sweatshops set up all over the place.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 6, 2012, 01:52 PM »
I do think there would be some smart people working to rebuild things, but the real question is what happens to society.  We've seen examples of how quickly people turn on each other when resources become scarce.  Just look at the looting and violence from Katrina.  Now expand that to a global scale where people can't even communicate beyond earshot. 

Under those conditions, I think guns rule and there's the very real possibility that Engineers can't get the food or supplies they need.  Or, they build something for energy/communications and some shmuck with a gun kills them to get at it.  I'm definitely planning to watch this - just hope they make it good.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 6, 2012, 03:33 PM »
Casting bullets and reloading is easy without power, the problem comes in making/obtaining the gunpowder, shells and, especially, the primers.

You'd have a similar problem with modern cap and ball muzzleloaders also, you can make bullets and even the powder but you'd still need the cap to set it off.  Without that you're back to flintlock. 

Bow and arror or crossbow make more sense because they're easier to make new ammo for and you don't have to manufacture primers.  Still, the raw material for both shells and primers would be around or could be manufactured again even without power, it would just take longer.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 24, 2012, 07:44 PM »

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 15, 2013, 09:22 AM »
Anyone else give Zero Hour a day in court?

Nazis + Rosicrucians + Weird Apocalyptic Occult stuff?

I think they got me. Nice to see Anthony Edwards picking up a paycheck again too.

On another note, The Office is just f'ing terrible this year. Were it not for the Bob Odenkirk and Eric Wareheim cameos the past couple of weeks, this season would be almost unwatchable.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 15, 2013, 12:38 PM »
Never heard of it.

I've decided that The Vampire Diaries is the worst show I've ever watched on a regular basis.  Replacing Smallville, which I'd often fall asleep in the middle of.  It used to be sort of engaging. Then it became repetative crap. Unkillable immortal jerk , who in theory should be master of the world, but act like a twit and hangs around a small town just to annoy everyone at this point. There's the love triangle that seems devoid of any real passion any more.  Wait, am I describing Vampire Diaries or Smallville?

Arrow is still good, when it's not focused on Ollie's best friend and his girl/Ollie's ex.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 16, 2013, 03:13 AM »
I watched Zero Hour but it was pretty terrible.  I thought the acting was flat and the story didn't flow well during the middle.  I'll watch it again and hope that this was just a pilot/first episode thing and it'll pick up.  But if it's still off next week, I'll probably find something else to do with my time.

E...

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #310 on: February 16, 2013, 08:57 AM »
The way it did in the ratings you probably needn't bother watching the second episode.  There probably won't be a third.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 24, 2013, 01:39 PM »
Anyone watch "Bates Motel"? I thought it was really good. The actors playing Norman and Norma really had the characters down well. Excited for episode two.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 24, 2013, 05:00 PM »
Anyone watch "Bates Motel"? I thought it was really good. The actors playing Norman and Norma really had the characters down well. Excited for episode two.

I was debating it, but felt like I would only commit if it was 100% faithful to the original movie. I could have sworn I saw a scene showing the kid with a walkman on though, which would place this out of the 50's when he actually would have been growing up based on the Hitchcock timeline.

Maybe I'm wrong, but this strikes me now as more of a re-imagining type of thing, which might be well done but not what I was hoping for.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 25, 2013, 10:57 AM »
Yes they are shooting it like it takes place now which is a little weird. But the feel of the Hitchcock movie was still there for me so I am going to look past it. Just it one episode you could really feel how things started for the two of them developing the "relationship" they had in the movie.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 18, 2013, 05:31 PM »
That Patton Oswalt Star Wars filibuster from tonight's parks and rec episode was hilarious.