Author Topic: Dodonna AND Antilles win Fan Choice! It's a miracle!!  (Read 2441 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Dodonna AND Antilles win Fan Choice! It's a miracle!!
« on: January 21, 2003, 01:54 PM »
Holy bajeezus!  We're going to be getting a General Dodonna and a Captain Antilles!  That is unbelievably awesome - especially for us "old schoolers"!  I think it was an incredibly cool move on Hasbro's part to decide to issue both of these ANH Rebels, even though technically Antilles won by 9 votes.

If there indeed were some type of voting irregularities, which I still contend was likely the case despite Hasbro's explanation, all I've got to say is GOOD JOB to the fella who calculated out a virtual TIE, and I wish you all the best in future polls as well.  I saw someone mention this elsewhere - perhaps next time we can get a five way tie at 20% each and get ALL 5 of the choices!   :)

If the poll was legit, then a big high five to all of the fellow fans and collectors out there who caused this "miracle of figure birth" to come about!  Though I wanted Dodonna to win and voted for him, I really wanted both of these figures to be made, so I'm in heaven right now!

The question is whether they'll be released together in a 2-pack, or on separate cards.  I tend to think that Hasbro might find a way of putting them in a "Rebel Heroes" 2-pack, just to keep the "Fan Choice Figure(s)" award label in one place.  And just as an FYI, these two characters wear virtually identical outfits in ANH, other than their coats and helmet, so there shouldn't be any RFT rehashes here.

I'm curious which coat Dodonna will come with - the long trenchcoat from the end ceremony scene, or the more regular looking flight jacket that he's got on throughout the final battle scene (don't recall which he was wearing in the planning scene).  I'd prefer the trenchcoat myself, especially since it will differentiate him a little more from the Antilles figure.

Well, however the whole thing went down, I'm one happy dude 'cause I got the best of both worlds!  Unfortunately, now we've got to play the waiting game for well over a year before we get these two, but I suppose I can be patient.  At least we'll get that cool looking Concept Stormtrooper in the meantime to tide us over...

Offline Bespin_refugee

• Youngling
  • "Intensify forward firepower! TOO LATE!! AAAAAHHH
    • View Profile
Re:Dodonna AND Antilles win Fan Choice! It's a miracle!!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2003, 04:15 AM »
I'm curious which coat Dodonna will come with - the long trenchcoat from the end ceremony scene, or the more regular looking flight jacket that he's got on throughout the final battle scene (don't recall which he was wearing in the planning scene).
I believe Dodonna wears the trenchcoat during the Deathstar 'lecture' and at the awards ceremony and the flight jacket during the 'tracking screen' sequence
it'd be great if they could find a way to do it like the POTF2 Han Solo [Endor Gear] (as long as they don't screw it  up).

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2003, 12:00 PM »
9 votes separated CA And GD at .05% that should be 18,000 votes total. 9*100/18000= 0.05%

Last Wednesday lets say there were 9000 votes cast at the time (might be kind of high but lets just assume it is so), GD had a 6% lead on Tuesday.

1st 9000 Total

Senator Yarua (Kashyyyk Senator) : 21 % 1890
Ben Quadinaros (Pod Racer) : 12 % 1080
Rabé : 13 % 1170
Gen. Jan Dodonna : 30 % 2700
Captain Antilles : 24 % 2160

Total 18000

Senator Yarua (Kashyyyk Senator) : 24.67 % 4441
Ben Quadinaros (Pod Racer) : 12.68 % 2282
Rabé : 11.60 % 2088
Gen. Jan Dodonna : 25.50 % 4590
Captain Antilles : 25.55 % 4599

So for the Last Week of the Poll

Senator Yarua (Kashyyyk Senator) : 28.3% 2551 Votes
Ben Quadinaros (Pod Racer) : 13.3% 1202 Votes
Rabé : 10.2% 918 Votes
Gen. Jan Dodonna : 21.0% 1890
Captain Antilles : 27.1 % 2439

The thing that is fishy to me at least is that Ben and Rabé had relatively the same amount over the second half versus the first, I can accept the Yarua gain being most non-collectors identify with a Wookiee over the two old ANH leaders...since the poll was sent out to the masses. The baffling thing to me is the flip flopping of the CA and GD numbers over the second half of the poll...

I think the big question if we make the leap of faith and say that Hasbro didn't count votes from the same IP address (a big leap I think), the question then has to be...

Did non-collectors taint the poll results? By publicizing the poll to people who may not give a rats patoot did they choose the Captain over the General?

Can't complain too much since we are getting both of the guys I wanted, I wanted Dodonna more because he had a bigger role in the movie, he could come with the DS display table and he is a tough custom...

Interesting I think and a good question for future polls...

And far as the Fishiness of the whole voting process:

1st 9000 Total (Tuesday the 14th)

Senator Yarua (Kashyyyk Senator) : 21 % 1890
Ben Quadinaros (Pod Racer) : 12 % 1080
Rabé : 13 % 1170
Gen. Jan Dodonna : 30 % 2700
Captain Antilles : 24 % 2160

Wednesday the 15th Let's say there were 1000 votes

Senator Yarua (Kashyyyk Senator) : 22 % 2200
Ben Quadinaros (Pod Racer) : 12 % 1200
Rabé : 13 % 1300
Gen. Jan Dodonna : 28 % 2800
Captain Antilles : 25 % 2500

So in that 1000 there were

Senator Yarua (Kashyyyk Senator) : 31 % 310
Ben Quadinaros (Pod Racer) : 12 % 120
Rabé : 13 % 130
Gen. Jan Dodonna : 10 % 100
Captain Antilles : 34 % 340

This is the fishy part of the whole thing right here in a nutshell...In one day Dodonna received less votes than Rabe or Quadinaros...It looks like the right things happened, the lesson should be that the poll should be run better in general though.

Offline krisvds

• Jedi Initiate
  • VLPS
    • View Profile
    • VLPS
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2003, 12:47 PM »
at Scum, I was the only one to predict a tie :)

I can't wait for the models ...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2003, 12:48 PM by krisvds »

Offline obi-dad

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2003, 04:40 PM »
As much as I doubt that this was done fairly, I couldn't care less after knowing the outcome.   Now if they would have done something like this instead of only putting out the sketchtrooper, I wouldn't have cared about being stuck with that instead of getting Madine.   Hopefully, the rumors I've read about Madine are true and he will come out in 2003 or 2004.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2003, 05:28 PM »
The outcome couldn't have been better. You shoulda seen my face when I reported this... a huge :D the whole time. I'm still excited about it... I just wish we could skip past the sketch-trooper and go straight to the General/Captain!