Author Topic: Variants.  (Read 6275 times)

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Variants.
« on: January 22, 2003, 01:21 AM »
Hey, as the local variant and error expert, I thought it would be appropriate to have a thread dedicated to all of the variants and errors that have come along and are discovered with the AOTC/Saga line. If you have any questions about variants or errors, you own or have found any you think are cool or worth mentioning or just want to share your favorite one, this will be the place to do it. I know there are a couple threads that refer to variants already, but let's make this the place to post those interesting items.

My favorite variant that I own is probably the Dexter Jettster with background insert and 'pipe' text visible or my 'bloody' Bespin Luke Skywalker.

My favorite error figure is my 'headless' Jango Fett (Final Battle) with the head loose in the bottom of the bubble. It just looks cooler minus that helmeted dome of his.

The most valuable at this point are the Clone Trooper (red) and the Jango Fett (Kamino Escape) without black paint in the visor. They currently are fetching over $100 a piece!

I'll add more to this thread soon and post updates as I find them. Our variant/error checklists are currently being overhauled to accomodate for the new stuff and to make them easier to read, even more specific and will be worth the wait. For now, this is where I will update you with the current variant hype and newly discovered ones.

One new figure of interest is the Padme Amidala (Coruscant Attack). I have the correction stickered bio text on the card back figure and printed correction bio text on card back variants. The original error text variant has been rumored to have never made it to retail.

The original text reads:
"An explosion tears apart the royal ship that is supposedly carrying the queen of Naboo, just as the vessel reaches Coruscant. Ready to defend those in danger, Senator Padme Amidala is relieved that the ship was a decoy and the queen is safe, but she is alarmed by the violent attack and its menacing implications."

The corrected text reads:
"Senator Amidala, the former queen of Naboo, returns to  Coruscant to vote on the critical issue of creating an army for the Republic to assist the overwhelmed Jedi. As her Naboo Cruiser arrives, an explosion tears apart the ship. Fortunately Padme, disguised as a Naboo Pilot, eludes danger, but her decoy Carde, disguised as Senator Amidala, was not as lucky."

If anyone out there has the variant with the original text, I would be very interested to know about it!

The stickered variant is extremely rare! I have found only 1 after thumbing through countless pegged Amidala's. I'll keep you posted on how this figure is doing on ebay and others as well.

Good luck and hunting!
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline Bespin_refugee

• Youngling
  • "Intensify forward firepower! TOO LATE!! AAAAAHHH
    • View Profile
Re:Variants.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2003, 04:06 AM »
Not sure what the 'bloody' Luke looked like, I bought what turned out to be the 'charred'/peg version ( I already have 1 clean/magnet and a  charred/peg. Any idea how rare/common these are? (just curious,I don't plan on selling them)

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2003, 04:21 PM »
There is really no difference in value between the metal peg showing and the 'fleshy' peg variants of Bespin Luke. They both get between $8-$15 at auction and in monthly price guides. The metal peg variant is a little more common because that is how most Luke's were produced. I think Hasbro started to get concerned about any figure with exposed metal, so they produced the 'fleshy' peg variant. While you might be seeing more of these than the metal, fewer were produced becuase they had already produced a good portion of the amount the alotted for this figure.

The charred stump is very rare and I think as more come into light, it will be moe coveted than the 'bloody' variant. I have heard of 3 other than yours, so it definitely isn't a 'one-of-a-kind' deal and that actually goes in your favor. A rare error that has several reported usually ends up being quite valuable. I'd say at this point, you'd be looking at about $30 - $50 on ebay. This is a good error/variant to have and hold onto! If I find out any more, I'll let you know.

There are actually a few unique 'bloody' Luke's on ebay as completed and/or up for auction items. One has the hand loose in the bubble, one has the hand attached to the stump and one is missing the hand. Pretty cool if you ask me...

Offline Bespin_refugee

• Youngling
  • "Intensify forward firepower! TOO LATE!! AAAAAHHH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 1, 2003, 03:25 AM »
Does anybody know of any photos that show the difference between the Saga Bespin Vader variants (hand). I've seen the one on the Rebelscum banner and I checked Sirsteve (he has comparison pics, but, they're not the same angle and hard to confirm imo) Thanx in advance. :)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Darth Vader hand variation...
« Reply #4 on: February 1, 2003, 01:45 PM »
Does anybody know of any photos that show the difference between the Saga Bespin Vader variants (hand). I've seen the one on the Rebelscum banner and I checked Sirsteve (he has comparison pics, but, they're not the same angle and hard to confirm imo) Thanx in advance. :)
I'm VERY interested in this as well.  I really don't think this variation exists.  It most definitely was NOT a running production change, as people had speculated.  I think all it was, was just Vader's hand being slightly turned inside the package so that his palm was facing up, rather than out, as we are accustomed to, thus putting his fingers in a different position creating the optical illusion that they were now more in the clenching motion.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this Thomas.  Ever verified it's existence?

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: February 1, 2003, 06:55 PM »
I have verified it...

I'll explain and get you guys some proof soon. You can also look under the actual figure here for a pretty darn descriptive little blurb on this particular variant...

the regular hand looks like this...
http://starwars.hasbro.com/toyshowcase/item.cfm?sku=84580&x=19&y=9

the hand gripping, or curled looks like this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3110512226&category=2476

or this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3109930883&category=2476

This is from the lists I spent such a  long and hard time on...

30. Darth Vader (Bespin Duel) / Collection 1
Note: The clenched/curled left hand variant was considered to be an error when it was first discovered in the collector’s market. Hasbro has released information stating that it is a correction to the straight fingered, left outreaching hand variant. The change was made because Hasbro thought the
clenched hand was closer to the revelation scene at the climax of The Empire Strikes Back. The reason the clenched hand was rare earlier was due to the straight handed variant being the first released and they decided to deplete
the run they had produced before releasing the clenched hand (correction) variant. It now appears that the straight handed variant is the limited run and the clenched the more common.
___ w/straight reaching left hand (index, middle and ring fingers are straight)
___ w/clenched/curled left hand (index, middle and ring fingers are bent/curled)

Now this is not entirely true...

I am revising the lists (WHY?!!! WHY?!!!) and the curled is the rarer of the 2 variants. The reason being it was released late in the run and so Hasbro had a set # of Vaders they decided to produce and the run was close to the end anyway before the decision was made to change the hand sculpt. So they stopped production, switched hands and plopped them on the remaining Vaders that had yet to be packaged. I did think it a farce and a scam, but it is a bonafide reality. Lee's Toy Review produced an early image guide for the AOTC release and they provide a close-up photo of both hand versions and I have actually owned the curled hand version at one point and after my sacriligious openning of a MOMC Vader to investigate, was sure of the variant when I finally saw it.

Any more questions?
« Last Edit: February 1, 2003, 10:53 PM by Thomas Grey »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Vader hand variant
« Reply #6 on: February 3, 2003, 01:33 AM »
Hmmm... I'll be damned.  It does exist.  Someone else pointed me towards some nice pictures of the different versions as well.  I have seriously probably looked at nearly 1,000 Vaders, and have never seen one.

That last auction you just pointed out bummed me out Thomas.  That seller lives about 10 minutes away from me, and his "clenched" hand Vader only got one bid for $6.99.  Argh!  Wish I knew about this sooner...

I had seen the reports, and even several pictures before, but since I had never seen one or knew of anyone actually owning one, just figured it was a hand positioning change which created an optical illusion.  Guess I was wrong!  Time to start searching now...

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: February 3, 2003, 05:47 PM »
I went through the same thing and actually opened a Vader to twist his wrist and convince myself it was a major fake. The first one that came up on ebay sold for over $100 and that was when nobody had heard much about it. The value doesn't seem to be much better for one or the other yet, but that guy must be banging his head in anguish right now.

Some variant news and updates...

-Ephant Mon has been reported to have 2 different shades of gray painted on his skin. One is obviously darker than the other and there seem to be enough that this could be a variant. I'll keep people posted when I learn more.
- The Imperial Officer is starting to show up on some pegs and there are 2 head sculpts. The common one is the rehashed POTJ head and the newly sculpted head is reported to be much more rare and averaging 1 per case (much like the shaven Endor Rebel Soldier). I personally would get both, but if you see the newer sculpt anywhere, grab it first! Same goes for the Rebel Trooper with a new head sculpt! They have rehashed the POTJ, and also have a new head sculpt variant. Not totally sure the rate of his appearing, but I would venture to say, the newer one is always the better.
- Be on the look out for Kmart to start Clearancing their holiday and 2002 stock. The elusive holiday 14-pack should start rearing it's head and be for a very reasonable price. This is one you want to keep in the box! Unlike the KBToys 4-packs, this is sealed and gift sets usually pick up steam as more time goes by...

That's it for now. Keep those questions and comments coming! I live for them!

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Variants
« Reply #8 on: February 3, 2003, 06:45 PM »
- The Imperial Officer is starting to show up on some pegs and there are 2 head sculpts. The common one is the rehashed POTJ head and the newly sculpted head is reported to be much more rare and averaging 1 per case (much like the shaven Endor Rebel Soldier). I personally would get both, but if you see the newer sculpt anywhere, grab it first!
I found an Impy Officer with a new head this weekend, but what about the third Imperial Officer head?  Is that not due out for a while still?

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: February 4, 2003, 11:06 AM »
Alright,
you got me JMac. Enlighten me on this 3rd head sculpt. I have not heard or seen anything. Unfortunately, the images on ebay at the moment are not useful for examining for different head variants. They are too small or extremely low in quality. So my answer is... I do not know. Very rare that happens. If I hear or see anything, you know I'll make sure you hear about it.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Imperial Officer head variants...
« Reply #10 on: February 4, 2003, 01:43 PM »
Here's the scoop, with pictures, on the three different Imperial Officer heads Thomas...

3 Imperial Officer heads

I just found the one pictured in the middle.  The last one is obviously the POTJ version, and I'm not even certain if they'll be releasing his noggin' again on a Saga card, or just the two new ones...  But it is pretty cool of Hasbro to bust out three heads on this bad boy, huh?  It's just a shame that it was all wasted on an Officer in a (wrinkled) jumpsuit, rather than the standard (flat) tunic uniform...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 4, 2003, 07:55 PM »
Just checked out the link you posted, MAC.  The one all the way on the right is the POTJ version.  The SAGA versions are the most easily identified by this features:

First one:  dark hair, no sideburns, smaller head than POTJ version.  I've seen reports from stores that this one's showing up, and e-tailer www.toymaniacs.com has them in stock as well.

Second one:  has blonde hair, blue eyes (I think).  Haven't seen any confirmed reports of this one showing up yet.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: IO and RFT head variants
« Reply #12 on: February 5, 2003, 06:20 PM »
Well, looks like there are two NEW head variants for the Saga Rebel Fleet Trooper, just like the Imperial Officer.  Several 'Scum members are reporting finding two different ones (neither of which is the POTJ version), and Paul of Alliance Collectibles sent a scan of the supposed second new one in to ArtoosNews.  From the sounds of things, only the two new heads will be released on the Saga cards for both the RFT and IO, and NOT their previous POTJ heads.

Give us a shout here if you discover anything to the contrary folks!

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: February 6, 2003, 02:15 PM »
First, let me say that I appreciate the leg work and the info you have found on theImperial Officer Head Sculpts. Here are some of my thoughts and questions after my own research...

1. What is the deal with the images of these guys on Ebay. There are very few Imperial Officers there with quality images. They are fuzzy or they are far away shots that disables anyone from seeing which head the figure actually has. Frustrating. Here is an example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3112249096&category=2476

Now this seller is either making things up or this is the POTJ variant due to him saying it is a lftover from a previous release packaged on the AOTC 'blue' card. I think that peoples ignorance of this variant is helping sellers sway the buyer with general or false statements.

2. Which is the 'real' short produced Imp. Officer? I have seen people saying they have it up for auction, and there are a couple cases where it is one or the other. I think there is some confusion due to people thinking that the regular sculpt is the POTJ sculpt. I would think it's the blonde haired officer, but not really certain yet.

3. Here are the major differences that will help tell them apart...

POTJ sculpt = brown hair, eyebrows & sideburns, broad apple shaped chin & blue eyes.

AOTC/Saga #1 = brown hair, eyebrows and sideburns, thin, egg-shaped chin & brown eyes.

AOTC/Saga #2 = blonde hair, eyebrows & light or no sideburns (hard to tell from images), broad chin (apple-shaped) and blue eyes.

If anyone has an Imperial Officer with the same features described after the POTJ version, please let us know...

The other variant I am curious about is the 'Padme (Coruscant)" figure with the original error text. The only variants I've been able to find are the stickered text correction card, or the printed text correction card. If anyone can provide proof that Hasbro released any Padme (Coruscant) with the error text printed on the card back, please let me know...

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Variants
« Reply #14 on: February 6, 2003, 04:43 PM »
We probably won't know for a little while ('til more product hits retail) what the real breakdowns on the head variants is on the Saga cards (POTJ version/resculpt #1/resculpt #2).  I highly doubt most eBay sellers will either.  To them, any of these new head resculpts is new/rare/a variant/etc...  Not surprising with the less than helpful auction pictures either.

RS finally verified last night that the third RFT head variant is true as well, so we'll really have to pool our resources here to see who finds what in regards to both the IO and the RFT Saga figures.  I'll keep you posted on my finds - one of each so far for me (I'll double check which one's when I get back home).

As for the Amidala Pilot figure, I found a lot of these when they very first hit, and I never once saw one with only the incorrect text printed on the card.  All stickers or corrected versions.  Of course, it's fairly easy to just remove the sticker to reveal the error text, so I wouldn't ever bite on actually buying a variant of that nature.