Author Topic: Who hates flying?  (Read 2681 times)

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Who hates flying?
« on: January 29, 2004, 12:27 PM »
I can't stand the thought of getting on an airplane!  I think you'd have to knock me out to get me to fly
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Who hates flying?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2004, 12:38 PM »
Flying, love it. I'm from an Air Force family so growing up with flying was no problem. Did lots when I was in Air Cadets, the glider was my fav.  

Then back in the early 80's I did the next best thing to flying, Skydiving.  :o   ;D

Hot air balloons are fun too.  ;)

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2004, 12:47 PM »
The first time on a big airplane I was scared a little bit but soon I started to enjoy it.  I have flowen in a small plane before that but heard it was different then commerical jets.  Now I can't stand not to fly.  

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2004, 12:47 PM »
You went skydiving Dale!  Cool!

I fly 5-8 times a year for my job, its alright, not a big fan of flying in small planes, especially through thunderstorms (I hated the one time we did that, talk about white knuckled)

Flying took on a whole different meaning post 9/11 for me and probably everyone else in the world, I can't help but look at people with an eye of suspicision every time I step on the plane,sad but true to the world we now live in...

Offline Becky

• Youngling
  • Peace..
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2004, 01:01 PM »
I have a major fear of flying.  It's ironic because my father and his friends work on airplanes.  They are always offering to take me up.  But, I just can't seem to work up the nerve.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2004, 01:05 PM »
You went skydiving Dale!  Cool!

This was taken just after we completed the course. What a rush! If you ever get a chance to jump, go for it.  ;)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2004, 01:17 PM »
This was taken just after we completed the course. What a rush! If you ever get a chance to jump, go for it.  ;)

Dale, tell the truth.  Your parachute didn't open once, right?  I think you crash landed.  I knew there was something a little cooky about you...   :-*

As for me, I've flown well over 100 times in commercial airliners - both for travel and business.  I've never had a problem with it.  I've had a couple pretty scary landings though, including one in China on a dirt and gravel runway in a smaller plane.  Very bad landing, almost went off the runway, etc...  That one scared the $h!t out of me.  And when we used to travel to Hong Kong, that was always a little scary landing, 'cause the runway starts right at the edge of the water (bay/ocean, don't remember), so it looks like your about to land in the drink!   :-\

My wife on the other hand turns into a freaking nervous psychopathic wreck when she occasionally flys.  We have to get her good and hammered prior to getting on an airplane.  I've sustained some pretty gnarly injuries from her digging here nails into my arms on take-off and landing...   >:(

I do, however, refuse to fly in the little prop jobs.  My father-in-law has a pilot's license, and has asked me to go up with him on several occasions, but I'm not biting.  Nuh-uh!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 01:24 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2004, 02:30 PM »
First time I flew was my freshman year in College and I was a little nervous.  After landing, I told myself there's nothing to it.  I'd fly any day of the week in good weather or bad, doesn't bother me.  The only I don't like about flying is the small leg room you get if you're not in an exit row or first class.  I'm 6'-3" so I need all the room I can get, so that's why I always try to get an exit row if I can.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline P'dubs

• Jedi Initiate
  • Bow to the might that is the Sith.............
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2004, 03:22 PM »
Never have been on one, never plan to. Don't care how much my girlfriend bugs me about it not none doing.
"They were all around me and they kept on saying "Utini Utini"."

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2004, 03:52 PM »
I've had a couple pretty scary landings though, including one in China on a dirt and gravel runway in a smaller plane.  Very bad landing, almost went off the runway, etc...  That one scared the $h!t out of me.

THis just reminded me of a bad experince  that happen to me coming home from C2.  I had a connecting flight in Minniapolis and just board the plane and had just started to taix towards the runway.   A few moments you seethe flight attendents going back to the plane and then to te cockpit.  I then saw the Co-Pilot go to the back of the plane and started to wonder what was going on (medical problem, Terriosit, idoit passenger, etc).  The pilot got on the pa and said there was a problem with the electical circut and they sment smoke.  At this moment we were about to turn right (to take off) but we turn left and parked while they figure what was wrong.  A few minutes later they figure there was no problems and we took off.  Throughout the whole flight I was wondering if I was going to make it home or would the plane crash but I made it.

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2004, 04:08 PM »
Dale's right if you get a chance to skydive do it.  

As far as flying I love it.  I get up in a bi plane a few times a year and its such a rush to be in an open air cockpit.  I am sure alot of people have heard of the EAA convention. Thats about an hour away from me and they have some great old planes to take people up in. Its something I would highly recommend seeing once if you like airplanes or the whole history of flight.
 I have had plenty of time in the air from my Army days. I got myself my master para wings :) If you guys think a commercial jet is scary fly in an old C130. I swear you think its going to rattle apart.
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2004, 08:11 PM »
I've only flown a handful of times, but it doesn't bother me at all.  I did notice myself quickly "scanning" the passengers on my last flight though, so I guess that other elements of flying have me slightly nervous though.   :-[

I sure as hell wouldn't be caught dead skydiving though.  You guys are crazy!   :o

Offline P'dubs

• Jedi Initiate
  • Bow to the might that is the Sith.............
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2004, 08:40 PM »
I just don't like the idea of hurling through the air in a big pipe bomb.
"They were all around me and they kept on saying "Utini Utini"."

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2004, 01:31 PM »
LOL Clone that is the way I feel!
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2004, 01:47 PM »
If you guys think a commercial jet is scary fly in an old C130. I swear you think its going to rattle apart.

A Herc is not that bad.  ;D  Try flying in a Chinook helicopter! If you do not wear a headset, your going to be deaf!  :o