Author Topic: Fate of the lines in 2004  (Read 4574 times)

SilverZ

Fate of the lines in 2004
« on: February 16, 2004, 05:55 PM »
Do I have this completely straight now - 3 lines will continue through this year:

1- Saga
2- OTC
3- Vintage 12

There's been little said since Toy Fair about the Saga line, with so much emphasis on the OTC. Can anyone set me straight on what's happening with Saga? Is it actually becoming OTC, or will it continue on in parallel?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Fate of the lines in 2004
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 01:41 PM »
I am pretty sure that the consensus of the masses is that SAGA turns into OTC.  

The last Saga wave should be the Endor Generals wave in Apr/May.  Then, after that wave ships, the Dagobah wave will be the first OTC wave in Jun/Jul.  This is how most e-tailers are stating it in their pre-orders.

OTC will run trough the end of the year I guess... no one is sure if it will continue into 2005 or not.  The vintage-OTC cards will ship sometime in the Fall, separate from the basic OTC figures...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 02:10 PM »
I think Jeff summed it up pretty well there, as far as what we've heard so far...  Saga appears to be ending with the Endor wave, to be followed by debut of the Dagobah wave in the OTC (and concurrently the "vintage" subline).

But Hasbro has said that the Bespin wave will be the last themed wave and will round out 2004, so I'm not sure what happens to the OTC after that...  I don't believe there won't be any new figures that have yet to be announced for 4Q 2004 though.  I think there's more on tap that Hasbro hasn't spilled the beans on yet.  And it would be a shame if they don't come in the beautiful packaging of the OTC.

I really hope they run the OTC right up 'til the release of the new Ep. 3 figures next April.  I guess the biggest question is where would any Ep. 1 or 2 figures go in the meantime, if any or even coming at all...  Could they somehow fall under the OTC moniker, ala the Yoda lightsaber?  Or might Saga pop back up?  Who knows...

Just don't waste the OTC cards on 2 small waves of figures and 14 rehashes!   :-\

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 02:20 PM »
Just don't waste the OTC cards on 2 small waves of figures and 14 rehashes!

That is one of my biggest concerns too Matt, I really hope that these great new cardbacks (which pretty much everyone seems to like) aren't just used for Dagobah, Bespin, and the recarded figures.  Although I know I'm a little biased since I really like the new design (and the vintage designs as well), I think these would really be eye catching, and I hope that they continue.

I was curious too about where, if there will be any, the prequel trilogy figures will fit in.  Maybe we won't have anything new until 2005, or maybe there will be some sort of other line that covers anything that isn't OT.  It does kind of sound like Saga is done with the Endor Generals this year, but maybe it will come back later on.  Or maybe they will just use the OTC cardbacks (since they use that style for Yoda's lightsaber), like you said.

I really hope that they keep the OTC going though, and maybe have the other collection be for prequel figures.  They've almost always had some sort of collection 1, collection 2 type of thing going (especially during movie years), so maybe we'll see the OTC into 2005, and a new line starting for the Episode III goodies.  It will be interesting to see.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004, 02:26 PM »
Maybe they're really trying uberhard on the Episode III figures.ahhhgg,it's hasbro,what am I thinking? ;)
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 02:32 PM »
they are doing this so we can have good figures for the EPIII release. That what, anyone know when we will start seeing pics of figures and lists from the EPIII line?
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004, 03:20 PM »
We'll see rumors toward the end of the year.

Rumor lists early next year along with preview figures

Between then and toyfare,we'll see leaked images

Fisrt couple waves at ToyFare along with other things,toyfare 05 is sure to be madness.

Then the ''oops these shouldn't be out yet...'' figures showing up

And then Midnight Madness 3

I have to wonder,however,if C3 will coincide with MM3?That would be killer!(40% chance of being literal)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2004, 06:52 PM »
I think that the new figures will be in the OTC line, while Hasbro ships 2004 Saga figs continually throughout the year.

By next year, everything will reunite back into the Saga line for Episode 3.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2004, 06:55 PM »
Nah,Saga is dead.

I'd like them to make a new line...The Circle of the Force,ya know to kinda say,its come full circle?
Or The Unifying Force,a take off from the NJO,I know,but still effective.

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2004, 07:23 PM »
Saga is pretty dead right now, everyone is now hyped up about the Original Trilogy line now.

Offline proudfather2

• Jedi Initiate
  • Todd
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2004, 02:49 PM »
Based on history, and actually living through the entire lifespan of the REAL vintage lines, here's my thoughts on what to expect:

The Original Trilogy Collection will be devoted solely to figures from A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. The preguel figures will probably take a 8-10 month hiatus.  

In 1999, to coincide with the release of The Phantom Menace, Hasbro focused all of their attention on characters from that film. Similarly, the Attack of the Clones (Saga) collection was originally devoted to it’s own characters. However, after the first month and about thirty figures later, the Saga line saw the introduction of Original Trilogy figures.

With the forthconing release of the Original Trilogy on DVD, for some of us arguably an event as important as the release of E1 itself, Hasbro will likely concentrate solely on figures from the first three films leaving little time or energy for PT figures. If you think about it realistically, this is probably THE LAST hurrah for an exclusively OT based line.

Movie tie-ins are a way of life for Hasbro, and they've shown us time and time again, that they’re going to take advantage of the DVD release the same way they did with the theatrical releases of Empire, Jedi, Phantom and Clones.

Fear not, with the Original Trilogy Collection beginning in June/July 2004 and E3 figures undoubtedly debuting in April/May 2005, the OTC will likely only last ten months or so. Then, I speculate, all figures will funnel into the same packaging set aside for the E3 campaign. Perhaps a "Star Wars Universe" or "Legends" collection.? Time will tell.

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2004, 03:10 PM »
Based on history, and actually living through the entire lifespan of the REAL vintage lines, here's my thoughts on what to expect:

The Original Trilogy Collection will be devoted solely to figures from A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. The preguel figures will probably take a 8-10 month hiatus.  

In 1999, to coincide with the release of The Phantom Menace, Hasbro focused all of their attention on characters from that film. Similarly, the Attack of the Clones (Saga) collection was originally devoted to it’s own characters. However, after the first month and about thirty figures later, the Saga line saw the introduction of Original Trilogy figures.

With the forthconing release of the Original Trilogy on DVD, for some of us arguably an event as important as the release of E1 itself, Hasbro will likely concentrate solely on figures from the first three films leaving little time or energy for PT figures. If you think about it realistically, this is probably THE LAST hurrah for an exclusively OT based line.

Movie tie-ins are a way of life for Hasbro, and they've shown us time and time again, that they’re going to take advantage of the DVD release the same way they did with the theatrical releases of Empire, Jedi, Phantom and Clones.

Fear not, with the Original Trilogy Collection beginning in June/July 2004 and E3 figures undoubtedly debuting in April/May 2005, the OTC will likely only last ten months or so. Then, I speculate, all figures will funnel into the same packaging set aside for the E3 campaign. Perhaps a "Star Wars Universe" or "Legends" collection.? Time will tell.

I like that, i hope that does happen. But i really wish we could se some EP1 figures again, that was my favorite, but then again that is when i started liking the SW films, so i guess EP1 is kind of like Trilogy figures for you other guys who were around for those when you were younger.  

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2004, 06:18 PM »
My own belief is that the OTC cards will eventually hold prequel figures.  If you lookat the card it only says OTC on the bubble insert.  Take out the insert and they are like Saga cards just saying "Star Wars".

The same cards could be used like Saga cards and cover all 6 movies come April 2005.  Or,  there will be a new card with the new movie, but I think that whatever the line is called (um...how about "STAR WARS"?) it will contain figures from all the films, but be E2 heavy the first 6-10 months.

Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline proudfather2

• Jedi Initiate
  • Todd
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2004, 08:19 AM »
My own belief is that the OTC cards will eventually hold prequel figures.  If you lookat the card it only says OTC on the bubble insert.  Take out the insert and they are like Saga cards just saying "Star Wars".

Good call! I hadn't thought of that. It certainly would be simple for Hasbro to put out PT figures on the same card back by just changing the insert. I really, really like the retro packaging for the OTC line and hope it sticks around for awhile but, we all know how frequently Hasbro feels the need to "freshen up" the line.

SilverZ

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2004, 09:42 PM »
Nice thought about the OTC/PTC insert card idea. I'd get behind that.

However, I just don't think it will fly so well seeing prequel figures on the retro cardbacks, considering how lowest-common-denominator marketing guys tend to shoot when they gear up for major pushes like E3, er, Ep3.

I'm amazed, frankly, that we're seeing such collector oriented ideas like the V/OTC lines. I'm shocked that we're heading into a time (albeit possibly short) where the PT is being forsaken, and that's why I originally asked the question. I guess I can't imagine that Hasbro has made it past the point of worrying about saying to retailers, 'Don't worry, Walmart, we'll have lots of kid-friendly drivel from the fresh in their little consumer minds movie to stock your shelves with!' And to think that they'll need to make changes to how the sell-in these assortments to retailers, and change their marketing message, to accomodate us long forgotten collectors, is mind boggling to me.

I guess I'm rambling. In the end, I'm in the same mindset that PT figures will be back soon. I hope that they actually do redesign the card again when it happens. Go for a more contemorary style but carry over some classic elements. It would be really special if we had a window where the line existed sort of as our "dream line" this year, where everything just oozed OT.