Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 135699 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #390 on: December 27, 2012, 08:35 AM »
I read about this Spider Man thing last night for the first time and it disgusts me, I'm not gonna lie. I'm glad I'm way past done with that book.

I swear to God, out of all artistic media, comic book writers have the LEAST respect for history and the sanctity of their franchises. They're a callow, soulless lot that will trawl out any old despicable piece of trash for the sake of making a quick buck. Anyone involved with this book should be ashamed of themselves. (And I've lost count of how many times I have said that over the past 10 years)

I honestly believe this is just some sick, perverted ploy to have you-know-who get into MJ's pants. This is almost as bad as that Gwen Stacey/Hobgoblin thing I heard about a few years back. Is nothing sacred?

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 27, 2012, 12:02 PM »
OK, I'll ask:  what's going to happen in Spider-Man #700?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 27, 2012, 02:03 PM »
OK, I'll ask:  what's going to happen in Spider-Man #700?

Spoiler Alert!

Apparently Doc Ock figures out a way to switch bodies with Peter Parker.  Pete gets trapped in Otto's body and dies. Otto lives on in Peter's body with his powers, but the catch is that he experiences all of Peter's history and has all his memories, so the transition makes Otto want to be a hero like Peter, or actually better than Peter to make up for what he's done.  Hence the end of Amazing Spiderman and the start of the new Superior Spiderman series.  Peter's essence is still trapped in his body...I give it about a year for him to regain control.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 27, 2012, 02:47 PM »
And apparently the first few issues of Superior Spider-Man is Spider-Otto hooking up with Mary Jane, but the catch is that he's using Peter's body to trick her and thus it's rape

::) ::) ::)
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 27, 2012, 03:24 PM »
Damn.  I'm sorry I asked.
Thanks, guys.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 27, 2012, 09:02 PM »
Well, since we've had the spoiler tag already....I haven't gotten my copy of 700 yet, but have the jist of what happens from all the online chatter.  Needless to say, I'm not too happy either.  I know things will likely get back to the status quo eventually, but to me, if it isn't Peter Parker (and I mean real Peter Parker), it isn't Spidey.

I'm usually fairly open minded about comic book changes, or at least trying something new, because I understand that these characters have been around 40, 50, 60 plus years, and you have to do something different sometimes.  So many stories have been told so many different ways already.  From that standpoint, I understand what they're doing.  And, again, I'm sure it will go back to normal eventually.  I just find it sad that you can't buy a single book at Marvel now, whether it is Ultimate Comics Spidey, Amazing (now Superior) Spidey, Avengers, team up books, etc. and find Peter Parker.  They killed him in the Ultimate U, and now in the regular Marvel U, happy 50th birthday Spider-Man!

Like I said, I'm usually pretty open minded/positive about things, but I can't say I like this too much.  Plus, the further it gets into various relationships (MJ in particular), the creepier it gets.  I'm a nearly lifelong fan/reader of Spider-Man (my first comic was Amazing Spider-Man at age 5), he is my favorite pop culture character, but the main reason for that is the man behind the mask (Pete).  I'll miss that aspect of things, and hope it returns sooner rather than later.  It is a shame really, because I've really been digging a lot of the Marvel NOW stuff otherwise, but my favorite character they decide to kill off.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 28, 2012, 11:06 AM »
Strange way to end a 700 issue series.

I predict that within a year, the Punisher kills  this possessed Spider-Man and takes his place as Spider-Punisher, leading to some confusion as to whether his intent is to punish arachnids or criminals.

Then Peter Parker is cloned back to life with the memories of himself and Dr. Doom for some reason.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #397 on: December 28, 2012, 11:09 AM »
Wait a minute... so everyone didn't WANT a non-wisecracking, overly brutal Spider-Man?
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 11, 2013, 09:22 PM »
So, Geoff Johns is leaving Green Lantern:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/11/geoff-johns-leaving-green-lantern

Really, an end of an era.  I've really enjoyed his entire run on the book, and he got me hooked on a character I didn't really know much about outside of Super Powers/Super Friends and some Justice League stuff.  That being said, with his last issue (an oversized #20 I think), I'm thinking I'll use it as a chance to jump off.  I've been trying to cut back on the number of books I buy each month, and not just sticking with some of the characters even if I'm not that crazy about the book.  I have no idea who is next in line for the book, and they might be great, but it might be a chance to get out here too.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #399 on: February 25, 2013, 12:24 PM »
RIP, (MASSIVE SPOILER).

I guess [creator redacted] had stated a few times in interviews that this was always his original plan for the character, but I really thought the money aspect of the character would keep him alive. 

Times like this make me miss reading the [character redacted] books.  :(
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: February 25, 2013, 01:41 PM »
Once again, killing off characters in the hopes of driving more sales.  I'm not a DC guy and never heard if this character, so I probably shouldn't care, but this crap really makes me long for the comics of my youth.  I don't know why it's so hard to just develop meaningful characters and fight the latest baddie.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #401 on: February 25, 2013, 01:50 PM »
I'm laughing about just how ridiculous the justification they're using comes across:

Character’s death, he said, will illustrate how parents lose sight of their kids when they fight.

Yeah, because a superhero dying at the hands of a supervillain is SO MUCH LIKE what happens in the real world when parents fights.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 25, 2013, 01:52 PM »
Parents lose sight of their kids when they fight?  Um, is that really a thing?  I see parents not pay attention to their kids when they should, but I can't say that I've ever heard this one before. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 25, 2013, 09:03 PM »
Without going into spoilers, I'm disappointed to hear this is happening as well.  I mean, it has been rumored for awhile, but I had really grown to enjoy this character over the past couple of years.  Looking forward to reading the issue later this week though, and curious what the aftermath will be.

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 26, 2013, 09:03 PM »
Does his grand dad still have access to a certain restorative pool?