Author Topic: MLB 2004  (Read 117887 times)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: It's Outta Here! The JD Official 2004 Baseball Thread
« Reply #615 on: December 12, 2004, 12:04 PM »
The Yankees signing Carl Pavano is a solid move.  We need pitching dammit.  We really had a great rotation last year, that didn't have a great year.  On paper, Mussina, Vazquez, Brown should have been the best "top 3 of the rotation" in baseball based on the previous year's performance.  Vazquez and Brown were outstanding in the NL.  I guess their numbers were slightly inflated because every 9th batter was a pitcher, and their K's did go down at least 2 K's/9 I'm sure.  But I hope they don't stop here, we really need 1 more pitcher like Pavano...maybe something like Brad Penny or Ben Sheets.  Not too stoked about Lieber leaving.  And they better sign Beltran.  With a solid staff and Beltran-Jeter-Sheff-ARod-Matsui-Posada in the lineup, that's unbeatable to the tune of 110 wins.

And please, get Giambi the hell out of here.  Punk.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2004, 12:08 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: December 12, 2004, 02:10 PM »
More rumblings today that Hudson is on his way to the Dodgers for Edwin Jackson and Perez (2b prospect.)  We'll see what happens.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #617 on: December 12, 2004, 02:15 PM »
Was that the fourth best 1-2-3 behind Houston, Oakland and Florida?  Or were you just dreaming...Brown was like 50, Mussina is past his prime and Vasquez was probably the biggest bust of '04

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: December 12, 2004, 02:21 PM »
Was that the fourth best 1-2-3 behind Houston, Oakland and Florida?  Or were you just dreaming...Brown was like 50, Mussina is past his prime and Vasquez was probably the biggest bust of '04

Going into the season, Brown and Vazquez were coming off of Cy Young quality years.  They were both in the top 5 in the NL in ERA and K's. 

Oakland was okay, Zito is junk, he had one good year.  Mulder's best season was last year, so no, not going into the season.

Houston was intriguing, but again, Oswalt's last year was his best.  And nobody thought Clemens would be that good.

And Florida, hell no.  Pavano had done nothing yet, Penny and Beckett were .500 pitchers.  Not even close there.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: December 12, 2004, 02:24 PM »
OCB - listen to the champion  :-*

BALCO!!!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #620 on: December 12, 2004, 03:13 PM »
Didn't the Marlins just win the World Series the year before with Beckett?  The Yanks did not have a top 3 rotation going in to the year and I think almost everyone except delusional Yankee fans will agree with me

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: December 12, 2004, 04:12 PM »
Didn't the Marlins just win the World Series the year before with Beckett?  The Yanks did not have a top 3 rotation going in to the year and I think almost everyone except delusional Yankee fans will agree with me

Based on 2003 stats, they did.

Josh Beckett was 9-8 with an average-good ERA and a low K total.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: December 12, 2004, 04:30 PM »
Oakland has (could soon be "had") the best 1-2-3 punch in baseball.  Zito's biggest problem since his Cy Young season has been his consistency.  I think he's had problems mechanically as well.  Every team in baseball would love to have the guy.  He's by no means "junk."

Florida's staff is not dominating.  The year they won the WS they just pitched out of their minds.  Pavano is solid, but he's had 1 good year (hopefully he'll be great in NY), Dontrelle is still developing, Beckett seemed like a future 20 game winner but he too has been inconsistent. 

Houston is awesome, but only if healthy.  If Clemens returns, if Miller and Pettite are healthy and if Backe continues to develop then they will have an incredible staff.  '

The Yankees have a good staff on paper, but they have to get it done on the mound.  Moose will be back, Pavano is apparenlty in, Brown will probably be dealt, not sure if Vazquez will be back and Wright apparenlty took another physical and passed so I guess he's in.  I still don't like the lack of a lefty in the rotation even though everyone keeps saying Milton is on his way to The Bronx.  The bullpen is one of the best in baseball (behind Anaheim's I believe.)

Anyone see that Smoltz is a starter again?  Think his arm will hold up?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2004, 04:32 PM by Holographic Elvis »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #623 on: December 12, 2004, 04:32 PM »
I forgot about the Cubs too with Prior, Wood and pick between Clement and Maddux, I think the Yankees problem was ignoring Pitching for Offense (that they really didn't need last year) and this was showcased in the Playoffs quite nicely

And the Red Sox with Schilling, Martinez and Lowe or Wakefield was better too going in to 2004.  Yankees were lucky to be top 5
« Last Edit: December 12, 2004, 04:34 PM by Scott »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: December 12, 2004, 04:34 PM »
I forgot about the Cubs too with Prior, Wood and pick between Clement and Maddux, I think the Yankees problem was ignoring Pitching for Offense (that they really didn't need last year) and this was showcased in the Playoffs quite nicely

I think the Twins showcased nothing in the playoffs quite nicely.  They were 1st round playoff fodder.

As usual.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #625 on: December 12, 2004, 04:36 PM »
I seem to remember that not so clearly, 2 extra inning games doesn't mean they were pushovers.  With 5 less superstars I think they did fine for what they have.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: December 12, 2004, 05:47 PM »
The Twins are not pushovers by any means, but they also played in the weakest division in the AL and have done a good job of being better than everyone in said division.  They definitely are not a championship caliber team though and the LA Times reported this morning that Corey Koskie is close to accepting a deal with the Blue Jays.  That only hurts the Twins.

I left Boston off the list simply because Wakefield is pretty inconsistent, Arroyo hasn't proven anything yet and Lowe may not even be back.  Wells helps their depth, but he's not what he used to be.

I also left the Cubbies off for several reasons: 1) Wood and Prior's health, 2) because it looks like Clement is gone (possibly to the Angels), 3) Maddux isn't the dominant force he used to be and 4) Zambrano is still maturing. 

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: December 12, 2004, 06:53 PM »
I definitely think the American League East will be won by whomever gets the next great starter.  Meaning the Yanks or Sox.  Im pretty disappointed that we werent able to grab Pavano, and he is going to help NY tremendously I think.  I definitely think D-Lowe is gone.  Wells concerns me and Arroyo I think is still immature but has possiblities.  Wakefield needs to be moved out of the starting rotation and into some kind of middle relief role if the Sox can find another solid starter.  Pedro will be back I think. 

Starters
Schilling
Martinez
Wells
Arroyo
?

Relief
Wakefield
Mantei (dont know much about this guy)
Timlin
Embree
Foulke

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #628 on: December 12, 2004, 07:53 PM »
Dressel was talking going in to 2004 not next year...Pavano makes them back to where they were before thanks to Leiber leaving

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #629 on: December 13, 2004, 10:18 AM »
The Twins are not pushovers by any means, but they also played in the weakest division in the AL and have done a good job of being better than everyone in said division.  They definitely are not a championship caliber team though and the LA Times reported this morning that Corey Koskie is close to accepting a deal with the Blue Jays.  That only hurts the Twins.

Looks like Koskie has basically accepted a deal with the Jays, pending a physical....

Blue Jays reach terms with Koskie

Hmmm... I am starting to get a bit worried, as the Twins infield defense was one of their strongest points.  Now, with Doug Mientkiewicz no longer at 1B, Guzman gone from SS, and Koskie gone from 3B, our outstanding infield defense is average at best.   :-\

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender