Author Topic: Ever see people at the movies who don't belong???  (Read 4111 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Ever see people at the movies who don't belong???
« on: April 4, 2004, 12:24 AM »
When we went to see Eternal Sunshine a few weeks back we walked into the theater and I was suprised to see seats full of blue haired old ladies for the most part.  I was sort of taken aback as I really didn't think this convoluted plot with fantasy overtones would appeal to the elderly.  Halfway through the flick I know two people behind us were sleeping because you could hear them snoring.  The best part was when we were leaving and my wife went to the restroom she heard two old ladies (one who probably had a touch of Alzheimers) say "Did you understand anything in that show???"

I also remember when we went to see Moulin Rouge and walking into the theater and seeing a similar demographic and can still remember to this day people getting up and leaving rather huffily in the first big musical number.  You had no clue this was going to be a musical?

Why don't people at least read up on what the movie is about before they plunk down the $$$ to get in there.  I sometimes feel like I should go over and tap them on the shoulder and say "Go ask for a refund"

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
Re: Ever see people at the movies who don't belong???
« Reply #1 on: April 4, 2004, 12:26 AM »
That is why they just sneak into another movie! ;)
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 4, 2004, 03:29 AM »
When I went to see dawn of the dead - there were at least 3 kids with their parents who were between the ages of 4 and 6.  And this is a movie where they shoot an infant zombie in the head and shove an iron rod through a fat old lady's eyesocket.

I'm all about gore and violence and even for young people, but lets at least get into the teens before we go watching that type of movie...

I guess babysitters just cost too damn much money.

Offline Playgirl

• Jedi Initiate
  • Slice and DICE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 4, 2004, 06:30 AM »
I went to see The Dreamers (Which was NC-17 had to fake my age  :-\) and I was surprised to see a bunch of old couples.  It was weird watching old married people sitting through the sex scenes all calm.

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 4, 2004, 10:10 AM »
My friend is a manager at a nearby Indianapolis theater, and he says that, especially during day shows, they are always swamped by senior citizens, many of which go daily, even to watch the same movie.
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #5 on: April 4, 2004, 01:20 PM »
When I went to see the Texas Chainsaw Massacre last year, there were some little kids there, none of them above six years old. Their parents were with them, too.

I know my parents never took me to a movie like that one at six.  ::)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 4, 2004, 01:34 PM »
When I went to see TPM, there was a group of fat women sitting in the row behind me. They laughed at almost everything and thought Jar Jar was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Funny thing was that they fell asleep during the podrace and began snoring. They slept until the very end and were trying to ask the people around them what had happened while they were asleep.

That was more of a story, so lets see...

I saw a few elderly people when I saw Jackass and Scary Movie 3. I also saw a few small kids when I saw Old School.  :-\
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Rob L

• Jedi Initiate
  • Timelord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 4, 2004, 03:34 PM »
My neighbour is in her 80s and loves LOTR. She went to see ROTK and then borrowed my ROTK DVD. She told me it’s one of the most moving films she’s ever seen.

She also told me the disc went a little grainy on her widescreen TV. I told her that DVD-Rs only have half the capacity of commercial DVDs and that I had to basically squeeze 2 layers onto 1. She took this on board, told me the copy was still near-perfect, but she doesn’t want to keep it because she's waiting for the extended edition.
« Last Edit: April 4, 2004, 03:36 PM by Obi-Robz »
Palitoy...it ain't yellow :)

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 4, 2004, 07:11 PM »
My neighbour is in her 80s and loves LOTR. She went to see ROTK and then borrowed my ROTK DVD. She told me it’s one of the most moving films she’s ever seen.

She also told me the disc went a little grainy on her widescreen TV. I told her that DVD-Rs only have half the capacity of commercial DVDs and that I had to basically squeeze 2 layers onto 1. She took this on board, told me the copy was still near-perfect, but she doesn’t want to keep it because she's waiting for the extended edition.

ROTK DVD?

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 4, 2004, 10:24 PM »
Ok, Im not racist, so lets not take it this way. I went to see hellboy, and the entire row behind me was black people. They TALKED through the whole movie. They didnt wisper. They TALKED. And after 4 or 5 times of asking them to be quiet (me and P'Dubbs) they didn't. Then they tried to start garbage after. They were like "I dont need yo' permission to speak. Dont hate tha playa, hate tha game!" ::)

Ive noticed more and more that when I am in front of black people, they talk through the movie, and share storys, and make snide comments. I dont know what the deal is. One such remark durring hellboy is "I hate comic book movies."-Well, gee, why the **** did ya bother coming?

Anyone else have that problem?

Kevin

Saw some Goth Types in the Jesus movie...talk about out of place...
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: April 4, 2004, 10:37 PM »
Reminds me of one of the old Eddie Murphy standup routines...  Can't remember if it was his first or second one, but he had a lengthy skit on how black folks loved to talk during movies at the movie theater - both to the movie itself, and to eachother.  Pretty funny skit!   :P

To me it often seems like every single dumbass under the sun has to chat away during movies.  Drives me almost insane.   >:(

On topic, I've often seen young kids (between 1 and 7 years old) both at R-rated movies, and at very late movies that run well past midnight.  If they just sat still and didn't make any noise, then I could tolerate it, but when the parents let them cry and squirm for 2 straight hours, I also go borderline insane.   :-X

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #11 on: April 4, 2004, 11:22 PM »
When I went to see Kill Bill the second time, I was the only one in the theater until the last minute, when a young gal walked in and decided to sit RIGHT NEXT TO ME (another pet peeve) and then proceeded to talk to the movie.  When Bill asks the Bride "Do you find me sadistic?" she answered loud and proud, "Yes I do!"

It was kind of funny after a while.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #12 on: April 5, 2004, 01:25 AM »
When I went to see Kill Bill the second time, I was the only one in the theater until the last minute, when a young gal walked in and decided to sit RIGHT NEXT TO ME (another pet peeve) and then proceeded to talk to the movie.  When Bill asks the Bride "Do you find me sadistic?" she answered loud and proud, "Yes I do!"

It was kind of funny after a while.

Wait, wait, wait-- a young girl sits next to you, and it bugs you? ;) ;D J/K man.

I went to see Hellboy tonight. I waited until the 7:05 show, because I loathe crowded theaters. There were only about twenty people in the place, but most of them managed to sit directly behind me, and kick my seat when they stretch. God, that bugs me.  >:(
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Rob L

• Jedi Initiate
  • Timelord
    • View Profile
Palitoy...it ain't yellow :)

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 5, 2004, 11:01 AM »
Ah-Hah!!!

I see! ;)