Author Topic: Current Star Wars Comics  (Read 2256 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Current Star Wars Comics
« on: April 20, 2004, 09:48 AM »
For any of you who currently read Star Wars comics, I was looking for opinions on what is out there right now.  I have recently been getting back into comics again (Spider-Man in particular), after 10+ years off, and I was wondering what you might recommend.  I have been looking through DarkHorse's site in their Star Wars section...and from what I am gathering, Republic covers Prequel era stuff, and Empire covers OT-era stuff, is that right?  Also, I see there are Infinities (looks like ROTJ just finished up), and Star Wars Tales (which I think I read here is only a quarterly release?).  I am most interested in OT-era stuff, are there any books in particular that you might recommend?  I have also heard great things about the 80s Marvel re-releases, and I might look into those as well, but I was wondering about current comics too.  Thank you for any advice you might have.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Current Star Wars Comics
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 10:30 PM »
like you said, republic covers the prequel era and empire covers the ot era. both books are very well written, imo - and the artwork is great as well. the star wars tales books are excellent as well, as lately each issue covers a particular character. and then you get 3 or so stories about one character at different times during their "life" written and drawn by different creative teams. i believe that there are a few tpb's available of the sw tales out there. good stuff.

the re-issues of the marvel stuff are great too, if you're into that semi-cheesy 80's style of books. the marvel stories were definitely a little sillier imo, but they are great as well.

i pretty much pick up anything that has the star wars logo on it from the comic shop, and so far i've not been too disappointed. the infinities series were great as well, and i believe that there are some tpb's available for those as well.

happy reading!!

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #2 on: May 2, 2004, 04:53 PM »
If you liked the cheesy old school comics from Marvel back in the day, definately pick up the TPB's. They run about $50 a piece, but hey - they're worth it.  ;)  Unfortunately I picked up Vol. 3 instead of Vol. 1, so make sure if you do get these, that you pay extra attention to the bind where the number is. The covers look alike to me.

As far as which print to go for (Empire/Republic), I'm an Empire man myself, and I prefer Tales over Infinities.

I suggest you go ahead and buy the TPB's of 'The Bounty Hunters', 'Chewbacca', and 'Boba Fett', those are good starters for an OT collection... For a PT collection, go ahead and get 'Darth Maul' and I believe the other one I really enjoy is called 'Jedi Council', not certain.

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004, 05:06 AM »
I'll tell you gusy what, I haven't read any of my comics since i went to college, and well, i'm home for thanksgiving and got around to it.

SW comcis are generally fun for me, but the latest republic comics are stellar.

especially this 2 parter story arc. Crimson nova is a sect. of the bounty hunters guild and is offering bounties on any dead jedi. well that doesn't sit well with mace windu so he goes to have a talk with them. he also brings in other jedi undercover, i don't want to ruin anything but i flat out highly reccomend this series. just a whole lot of fun is all. other stories involve honoghor (spelling) and the noghri, rancors, usual jedi stuff and so on. It's a bit patchy to just jump in on now, due to some plot twists and character development, but i'm sure a little bit of cruising dark horse comics site would help on missing info or plot holes.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 05:08 AM by Dimetrodon »

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 01:07 AM »
A few weeks ago I read the 3-part story "To the Last Man" in Empire #16-18.  I honestly think it was some of the best writing I've read in comics in years.  Check it out.