Author Topic: Harry Potter  (Read 111440 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Harry Potter
« on: May 20, 2004, 04:38 PM »

New movie coming out in 2 weeks, book 6 in the works, its an exciting time in Potterland

I've seen a few different trailers of Azkaban and it looks amazing.  Much better than the last two both of which I thought were rather well done

My one criticism of the books is that the first three stories are almost all identical in their plotlines and I see the same thing in the movies.  With Goblet and she broke the mold and it will be VERY interesting to see how they handle Goblet on the big screen

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Potter
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2004, 01:04 PM »
Well, since no one's biting on your thread...I'll chime in.  I like the books - I'm reading the 5th one now.  The movies are okay, but I think the second one was a little slow...  I'm looking forward to the new one and think the movies won't really start getting good until the fourth - which is the best book by far (keeping in mind I'm only 200 pages into book 5).

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2004, 04:31 PM »
Williams score for the new movies sounds fantastic, love that little choir piece that has been in most of the trailers

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2004, 05:41 PM »
Man, I'm psyched as all hell about Azkaban.  It's by far my favorite of the books, and the movie looks awesome.  I've got my tix, and I can't wait...
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline SiteC

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • SiteC's Figure Collection Page
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2004, 08:46 PM »
I like the HP movies, but my ADD doesnt allow me to read the books.

I probably won't see this one until the DVD though.  I just have no interest in seeing movies in the theater anymore, especially one where screaming, unrestrained, and undisclipined children will be crawling alll over the theater.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2004, 03:15 PM »
I read the first 2 books and half of the third. Own the fourth, but not the fifth.

About movie #4, I heard that they were going to pull a "Matrix/Kill Bill" - Separate it into two parts, release part one during the summer, and part two around Labor Day. Take this as a grain of salt though.

I'll be going to see the new movie too.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 08:10 AM »

About movie #4, I heard that they were going to pull a "Matrix/Kill Bill" - Separate it into two parts, release part one during the summer, and part two around Labor Day. Take this as a grain of salt though.

Makes sense, though.  Their is a lot of stuff in GoF that I don't think will fit in a two hour movie.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2004, 09:02 AM »
Damn...could have went to see a Sneak Preview showing yesterday but the cashier told us it was Chamber of Secrets.  Then I heard on the radio people saying they went to that theater to see Prisoner >:(

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2004, 12:03 PM »
My wife and I actually just saw the first Harry Potter movie two weeks ago, and now I'm planning to go rent the second one...and see the third as well.  I haven't ever read the books, or really been "into" it before, but after seeing that movie, my tune has changed.  I'm really excited for the third one, and these movies seem very well done.  Not just "kid" movies, as many people (myself included at one point), thought.  Does anyone know, are the same actors, the principal 3 kids, going to continue in the movies...since they are getting a bit older?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2004, 12:09 PM »
They are signed on for Goblet of Fire, not sure about Order of the Phoenix

If they keep filiming as fast as they are, they might beat Rowling to the screen with Book 6 :)

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2004, 04:57 PM »
My girlfriend has read them all, and can't wait to see the movie. I've only seen the movies so far, but I'll probably read the books myself.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2004, 05:35 PM »
I can't wait till this movie comes out as will.  I saw the first two movies before I read any of the books.  When book 5 came out I bought all of them and read them all in abnout 2 weeks.  

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2004, 01:43 AM »
Count us among the Potter fans too.  Patty's read all the books so far, while I've only read the first but plan to read the others.  The movies are definitely fun, and I hope they can keep up with them every year or year and a half, and eventually cover all the books.  Like SW, it's just a fun world to hang out in for a few hours, so I say the more the better.  We'll be watching it opening weekend, I'm sure...   8)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2004, 11:27 AM »
CNN has an article up today talking about the three principal "kids" in the Harry Potter films.  Alfonso Cuaron (director of Azkaban) talks about how he would like to see them stay throughout all of the movies.  Clicky HERE for more.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2004, 12:04 PM »
Hmmm....I thought all of the kids were already substantially older than their characters are supposed to be.  I think I could could buy Harry and Hermione, but Ron's getting pretty huge.  He's already slouching quite a bit not to tower over his co-stars.

He's got the best handle on his character, though.  If they can pull it off with the originals, I agree that it would be awesome.

One thing in that article alarmed me, though.  The director for #4 is the same guy that shat "Mona Lisa Smile" into this world?  That's disconcerting, to say the least.
"Really?  Sorry."