Author Topic: Episode 3 Packaging Revealed!!!  (Read 33388 times)

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 3 Packaging Revealed!!!
« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2004, 07:11 PM »
I suppose so. This crap looks like the new Spiderman stuff. Nasty

It looks like some kind of TacoBell promotional give away.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2004, 07:17 PM »
I like the art work in the helmet of the duel but other than that!  :-\

Maybe the head piece will be a 3d vacuform card.  :-\

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 24, 2004, 07:23 PM »
I'm fine with the Vader helmet. I'm fine with the lava. Everything else SUCKS! >:(
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 24, 2004, 08:06 PM »
Star case, will it fit?  ???

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 24, 2004, 08:26 PM »
Star case, will it fit?  ???

Looking at the bubble I doubt that the Star Case 2 would fit the figures in them.  I have a feeling the the makers of Star Cases will be making a star case 3 to fit them.  

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2004, 09:05 PM »
I like it.

If you'd asked me twenty years ago what I'd want in Episode III packaging, I would've been all about young Vader and the lava duel, so this is fulfilling all of those ten-year old boy wishes perfectly.

Yet it's not retro at all. If anything it's futuristic. Maybe a little sci-fi, a design element that Star Wars stuff has never taken much advantage of before. I'm looking forward to seeing one of these with a figure inside of it. I'm also looking forward to seeing an aisle full of these at Wal*Mart. With the large character picture on the right side of the bubble, it should be easy to sort through the pegs (as looking at Clone Wars Cartoon figures has taught me).

I feel for the carded people though. It will probably be even more of a hassle now to find a mint package, what with the big round bubble and die-cut top. Mine will all end up in the trash eventually anyways.

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2004, 10:13 PM »

I feel for the carded people though. It will probably be even more of a hassle now to find a mint package, what with the big round bubble and die-cut top. Mine will all end up in the trash eventually anyways.

Maybe Hasbro will use a stronger cardback which would help a little with at least the cardboard from being dented or damage while in the case which happen to alot of the Saga figures before hitting retail or mailed out to you if you ordered online.  I will probally end up buying most of the stuff online except for those things that will come out for Mid. night maddness 3.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2004, 10:16 PM »
I like it. It looks fresh, to use a cliched term.

It's far more inspired than anything Hasbro's done for the SW line's packaging in any era. We may like OTC, but that uses a base design about 25 years old.

POTF2 was a little bland.
Episode I wasn't great, at all. Almost ugly
POTJ. It was what it was.
Saga was bland to look at, at least IMO. The late 2003/early 2004 stuff looked pretty neat though.

This reaches out and demands your attention. I can't wait to see this stuff at Wal-Mart and TRU, begging for my to throw my hard-earned scrib at it.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #98 on: July 24, 2004, 10:41 PM »
This is very eye catching.  I like how they incorporated the CW elements such as the big character pic on the bubble.  I like the duel in the helmet.  I like it's new and different.  I don't like it's orange, because we've been there, but it's lava, and we haven't been there, so.

The true test will be seeing the figs in them.

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2004, 01:30 AM »
Being an opener I guess means I really should not care, but I have to say I for one do not like it. I do not like the animated cartoon figure cards and I like this even less. It fits exactly with the action features that these figures will have and that I HATE as an open collector Bottom line, Hasbro IMO is sending the message that we make these for the kids not for the collectors.
So, in that view that the new Ep. III line will be marketed for kids, then Hasbro did a good job.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2004, 02:19 AM »
Welp, it sure is a busy looking package isn't it?

I expect a more subtle packaging design through other licenses, especially ones not so squarely pegged towards kids as a movie action figure line.

I'm undecided...  It is definitely using the 2 core elements to the Packaging layout we debuted though (the Lava and "scowling" Vader), which were to be expected, but it's definitely far from ordinary.

Greivous, while I know he's the big pimp of the next film, is a bit much...  That's where the packaging is maybe TOO busy to me.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2004, 10:32 AM »
It's far more inspired than anything Hasbro's done for the SW line's packaging in any era.

This is something I agree with, it is definitely the most work they've put into the basic packaging, aside from the OTC/VOTC.  I'm not sure what to think of it totally yet, it is kind of busy, and the new card/bubble shape is a little different too....especially from what we are used to in the Star Wars line.  I really like the Vader helmet (and the silhouettes on it), and the lava is kind of cool too.  Another aspect they added, which I really liked in the Animated cards, is the character picture on the bubble side there.  I don't know but to me the Animated line really stood out on the pegs because of that.  Plus, like it was said above, it should be easier to find who you are looking for too.  Boo...boo indeed to the action features, but we probably knew this was coming.  As long as we get a good version of all the gimmicked characters this time too.  I'm really going to try to hold off on buying the AF-laden figures this time around.  With Episode II I got anxious to have a "version" of certain characters, when I should have waited to get the better one later on.  I will say this though...I haven't been really "up" on the prequels lately, and I'm always much more of an OT person myself, but with some of the Episode III hype going on at Comic-Con (title revealed, pics, new packaging, etc.), I'm starting to get ready for this film.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2004, 09:36 PM »
I'm wondering how many of these they will fit in a case.  I mean, lately, with the Saga line and OTC, it's 12 but these suckers look like they will take up more room so I am venturing 8 to 10 per case (unless they go with bigger boxes) so that means another possible ratio fiasco.

There is something about the packaging that throws me off, I really can't put my finger on it but I think it's the cartoon character picture.  
Beth

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 26, 2004, 10:03 PM »
hopefully they will adjust the box size to fit more figures and keep up with the 12 figures per case. of course, that just means they'll fit 4 grevious, 4 anakin, 3 dooku and 1 pablo jill into a case  >:(

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 26, 2004, 10:09 PM »
There is something about the packaging that throws me off, I really can't put my finger on it but I think it's the cartoon character picture.  

I think that image will probably change.  I think they used that image for the mockup, but there will almost certainly be a graphic pulled from a frame of the movie or some other rendered CG image for the production version of Grievous.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback