Author Topic: Anybody find OTC at retail yet?  (Read 38728 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody find OTC at retail yet?
« Reply #120 on: August 2, 2004, 11:36 AM »
I don't know about your areas, but these seem to be selling through pretty well (the basic figures anyways, where they have shown up).  The only place in town here so far that has seen the VOTC, was TRU a couple of weeks ago.  They had a case of the 3x Han, 3x Obi, 2x Leia on the pegs, and were sold out the next day.  The peg that was labeled for them is now gone, replaced by Spawn.  TRU here also has quite a few of the Jedi Council sets sitting (still haven't brought myself to buy it), and this weekend had quite a few of the OTC Ask Yoda's as well.  Otherwise, basic figures there are still Saga offerings.  There are also plenty of Darth Vader TIEs sitting.

Wal-Mart is the only place where regular, basic OTC figures have shown, and they have sold out quickly.  I haven't made it to the one across town for awhile, but last time I was there it was pretty bare too.  The one closest to us is back to pegs of Hoth Han, Throne Room Luke, etc.  Oh, and plenty o' lightsabers.

Target is finally getting on the OTC track now the way it looks.  Still no basic figures there (just Saga offerings), but they did have 2 of the Falcons.  I really wanted to get this, but a little tight for money so I couldn't spend $50 for a ship I already have (plus, no room).  The Mrs. especially isn't crazy about me buying a $50 ship I already have, just because it has "new lights" ;)  It sounded silly when she said it outloud to me like that too.  They do now have Unleashed for sale at Target though...a few each of Leia and Obi-Wan.  Good to know these might be showing at another retail outlet now.

Anyways, at least around here, the OTC line seems to be pretty successful.  That is, at least the basic sized figures.  Those can't be found anywhere in town right now.  Other things, such as the council sets, ships, etc. seem to sit a bit though.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #121 on: August 2, 2004, 08:35 PM »
When OTC shows up here, the only figures that sit around are Leia Bespin and Lobot.

I haven't been able to get my hands on the Dagobah wave. Those seem to be the first ones to go.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 2, 2004, 09:23 PM »
I saw VOTC Obi-Wan and Han at KB today, but no regular OTC.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #123 on: August 3, 2004, 02:36 AM »
Finally found a buttload of OTC last night at Walmart, including Greedo, which is the first I've heard of him being out at retail...  They also had about 8 pegs FULL of the VOTC figures, sans Luke.

Starting to get a little more caught up with the OTC stuff finally...   8)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 3, 2004, 11:22 AM »
The local Target did their reset last night. I got the Unleashed Leia (finally). They had lots of VOTC, no Luke of course, all three 12" OTC, the vehicles, and the cup sets are on sale for $7.88.

There were no basic OTC figures, at all. It's like meeting the girl of your dreams, and finding out she's five. ::) :P

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 3, 2004, 11:24 AM »
Oh yeah. One local Wal-Mart got their VOTC in. No Luke there either. Damnation.

I don't think all these VOTC will move, especially at the $10 price point. Man, the Jedi wave is going to be a bitch to find. :'(

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 3, 2004, 11:24 AM »
I still have not seen one single VOTC in my area ???  Plus, none of my EE orders have shipped yet.  Should I panic yet? Plenty of OTC but nada yet on the other.
« Last Edit: August 3, 2004, 05:15 PM by rebeltrader »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 3, 2004, 04:23 PM »
I did a two-city toy run today. I have never found VOTC at retail until today, and I saw in six stores: 2 Targets, 2 Wal-Marts, a Suncoast and a Sam Goody. No Lukes at any of them, either.

Also scored Luke Dagobah, Spirit Obi-Wan, Yoda, Boba Fett, and Darth Vader at a Target.

Happy day!

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #128 on: August 3, 2004, 08:49 PM »
and the cup sets are on sale for $7.88.

Seriously?  Damn.  I'm trying to hook a bunch of folks up with those, but they're all still $9.99 out here.  Oddly enough, about 6 weeks ago, a couple of our Targets started what appeared to be the clearance markdowns on these, to $8.48.  But just a couple weeks later, they were all back at $9.99, where they've been ever since.  Go figure...   :-\

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 3, 2004, 09:17 PM »
One of the Targets I went to had them for $6.88. I guess it's up to the store to mark them down.

Still doesn't do me any good. No Leia sets here. >:(

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 3, 2004, 10:31 PM »
Finally saw an OTC basic figure tonight.  Too bad it was the reissue Cantina Han.  >:(
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #131 on: August 3, 2004, 10:35 PM »
I've seen OTC stuff at Suncoast and Sam Goody

The VOTC 3 of Ben, Han and Leia have been everywhere, Target, Sam Goody, Suncoast, KB, K-Mart

The only the other OTC figure I have seen is at the local Target and it was like Nick, a lone Cantina Han :-\

Lucky for me EE had me covered a month ago

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 18, 2004, 10:03 AM »
Took a trip to a Target, Wal-Mart, and TRU...still looking for the VOTC Luke, Vader, and Yoda.  Not too much new, although Wal-Mart had an absolute pile of VOTC Han and Bens, probably 10 of each.  There were also a few Leias, but probably only 3 or 4.  I probably should have been more patient instead of ordering these via Amazon, but you just never know with Star Wars stuff it seems.  Although these are hanging around a bit here, I still think the next two waves could be tough ones to find.

Toys R Us has redone their aisles, and Star Wars is now located at the way back of the store, on the back wall right before you walk into their stock room.  Despite the location, it is much better organized than before, but no OTC really.  They were the first place in town to have the VOTC, and must have had one case that sold in a day, and they haven't had them since (or even a peg for them).  No OTC figures here at all, just Saga and POTJ (!).  They do have several each of the OTC Falcon, Vader TIE, and X-Wing.  Also stacks of the Ki Adi council set.  They just received the Galactic Heroes the way it looked, and had several of each set (except the Chewie/3PO one).  Also, the same Unleashed Sidious and Jedi Luke hanging out...still need to pick that Sidious up some day.

Target...not much new.  4 VOTC Hans, 1 OTC figure (Han), and some Saga scragglers.  They also have the Falcon, X-Wing, and TIE...as well as Unleashed Obi and Leia.  The Star Wars section has expanded here (as well as everywhere else), which is a good sign.

One thing I have been noticing overall, which was at least a little bit surprising to me, is that the OTC seems to be selling out, consistently, while the VOTC is starting to sit a little.  Maybe it is just for now, and things will clear up....maybe it is prices, and $10 is just too much for some people to pay, maybe it is the way they are shipping, and there is just a few too many, who knows.  I guess I just found it surprising.  I really thought that these would fly off the pegs as soon as they would show up (and I still think that the ESB and ROTJ waves will, much more so than the current waves).  Maybe people in the area have just gotten their fill, and are waiting for new stuff (like me).  I've been impressed with the OTC sales.  Although they look great, they are still repacks, but every store I have went to has been in a consistent sell out, restock, sell out, restock pattern...with every figure.  There doesn't seem to be any in particular that are hanging around, and all are selling...which is nice to see for the line overall (in some ways).  Hopefully it won't give Hasbro the idea of "we just need to repack stuff all the time", and they realize that it is a combination of timing, price, and packaging.  Anyways, it is nice to see things selling regularly like that, and not clogging up the pegs.  I guess I was just a little surprised to see OTC outselling the VOTC, pretty easily, around here.  Anyone else noticed this?

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #133 on: August 18, 2004, 08:35 PM »
Oh happy day.

First, I found VOTC Yoda, Vader and Luke at TRU.  Bought Yoda, couldn't resist.  Had two or three of each.  Then at WM I found the last two OTC I needed, Yoda and Spirit Ben.  So happy.  Now I just need Jawas and clean Scout Trooper.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 19, 2004, 10:06 PM »
Dang. I missed Yoda, Vader, and Luke.

If I wasn't such a dummy, I'd just order them online.