Author Topic: Which Line(s) Are "Easiest" for You To Collect?  (Read 3508 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Which Line(s) Are "Easiest" for You To Collect?
« on: June 28, 2004, 12:21 PM »
While out shopping this weekend I got to thinking about this.  As far as the lines you collect, which do you feel are the "easiest" or least stressful to get.  As far as finding the figures, price, chases, etc., tying all those aspects in, which work out the best for you?

For me, Star Wars is my first priority and it has always seemed around here that if you see new figures, you buy them then and there, or you might not see them again.  Sometimes they later show up in greater abundance, and sometimes they don't.  As a general rule of thumb, from now on if I see it (and have the cash), I buy it.

Marvel Legends/Spidey Classics - I've just started collecting Spidey a little more, but did find all of Series 9 this weekend.  I passed on Rhino, only because I had already bought two figures this weekend, but I'd like to go back and pick it up (if still there).  I haven't had much troubles finding the Marvel Legends figures I want...although I haven't collected the line in its entirety either.  I will say when I have checked the pegs, I don't think I've ever seen any of the previous "chase" figures (Doombot, Goliath, etc.).  However, the regular releases seem to be somewhat easy to locate.

Lord of the Rings - The only other line I collect much at all right now, and even so, not much of it.  These seem to sell really well around here, Wal-Mart stocks and sells out pretty regularly.  I've been able to find most of what I'm looking for...but again...I don't collect the whole line so it is kind of tough to judge.  Right now it is kind of slim around here, lots of Gollums, King Aragorns, and 8" Treebeards.

I also dabble in minimates, but it doesn't seem like the TRU here carries them at all.  The one we used to visit had the 4 packs, but I haven't seen them here yet.  These will probably be bought online if I continue collecting them.

That's about it for me, but I was just curious what you feel are the most stress-free lines to collect.  We all know that each line has their problems here or there, but if there was one or two lines that would be easiest for you, which ones would they be?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Which Line(s) Are "Easiest" for You To Collect?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 01:15 PM »
My stress-free line to collect is DC Direct Pocket Heroes.

I do nothing other than tell my local shop I want them.  Now, whenever a new set is released, they hold one for me at the shop and I just pick it up when I come in for my weekly comics.

No Fuss, No Muss.  The only trick part is the convention exclusives, but those can be easily obtained via eBay since very few people collect the Pocket Hero line, the prices never go up much more than $4-5 each for the convention figures.

MUCH simpler than trying to collect Star Wars or a line with chase figs like Mattel's Batman, Toy Biz's Legends, or any others.

Jeff

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 08:17 PM »
Lego's the only thing I can think of where EVERYTHING hits.

BBI Elite Force 1:18 is pretty good about distribution though, as was 21st Century when they were with TRU.  Now that they're with Wal-Mart, their distribution is spotty at best...  I know I've never seen the Spitfire or P-40's here and they were 2 planes I actually wanted.

Never seen Mustang repaints either, or Messers...  Last I saw those was at TRU in the first release.

WM's been a real disappintment for 21st 1:18 product IMO.  Overordering at some stores, and simply never giving others any new product.  21st's loss of their deal with TRU was a big blow to them.  THey should've simply gone to doing allied forces and milked that contract as long as they could've...  Market German stuff via Etailers and be done with it...

Hell, it'd at least be SOMETHING in stores.  I think that contract was nullified more because of poor sales of large-ticket items like the planes than anything else.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 08:58 PM »
Barbies.  If you can't find them in the stores, you can snag them online for the same price.  

Beth

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 10:00 AM »
I think LOTR has been a breeze to collect really.  The case packs and limited releases have been great.  The Trilogy line was able to get some HTF figures back out on the pegs.  THe only bad thing I can think of was Twilight Frodo.  

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 10:04 AM »
My stress-free line to collect is DC Direct Pocket Heroes.

I do nothing other than tell my local shop I want them.  Now, whenever a new set is released, they hold one for me at the shop and I just pick it up when I come in for my weekly comics.

Ditto for the 6-inch line. DC Direct is one line I've never had to chase. Heck, most of the time I don't even pre-order. It's a great option, though. The direct market - though higher priced - does have its advantages.
Post sober.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004, 03:03 PM »
Lord of the Rings 6".  Far and away the easiest.  There's just about nothing I've not been able to pick up at retail, except for some multi-packs that haven't been in Canada.  I found two twilight Frodo's at retail, I've seen numerous other htf figs many times.  Price is not great, but not horrible.  

Of course that is offset by my ability to not collect this line until it gets harder to find stuff ::)  Bonehead.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004, 10:29 PM »
LOTR is easy.

But, I'll go with Art Asylum's Star Trek line. Two series a year, plus 1 ship. Not hard at all. Of course, I'm still looking for Shran the Andorian from the 2nd series of Enterprise figures. But other than that, I'm good.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 1, 2004, 05:58 PM »
Dragon dolls, they’re the only figures I get that I can actually shop for in my town (although pickings are still slim), everything else I have to buy online.
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: July 1, 2004, 06:23 PM »
Couldn't argue with that.

Dragon, even with their exclusives, make them pretty available to everyone, and price is pretty great too, considering what you get when compared to other 1:6 lines.

Everything I've wanted, I know I can order somewhere for the same price I'll pay if i find it at any store they're sold at...  Can't argue with that much at all.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 2, 2004, 10:03 AM »
Easy
stikfas
clerks inaction
both online and easy to get ahold of
i stay away from exclusives so it's no bother.
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 2, 2004, 04:52 PM »
Lord of the Rings.  They're pretty readily available at a variety of retailers, and they don't do exclusives.  
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback