Author Topic: Vintage OTC Figures - A New Hope  (Read 63710 times)

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Vintage OTC Figures
« Reply #225 on: June 30, 2004, 10:50 AM »
Strange isn't it...  I would guess that there was some sort of glitch during manufacturing that slowed them down a bit maybe?

I can't wait for these figures.  Yeah, they may not be the "ultimate" version that we were all giddy for back in February, but they are still pretty cool.  Above average sculpts on kick-ass cards.  I love it.

Other random thoughts...

* 3PO - Hope he has good articulation or else he'll be pretty silly with the rest

* Lando - elbows, smelbows.  Chances are I'd pose him holding the gun anyway.  The cape is a little confusing though... he PotJ cape was great!

* Chewie - If I can get a super-articulated Chewie with the RotJ haircut, that'd be fine.  We've already got GREAT Chewies for Ep4 and Ep5.

* Fett - still waiting for info on him

* R2 - the mind rolls with anticipation on what gadgets he'll have (if any)

* Stormtrooper - I must keep telling myself "I don't need to army build, I don't need to army build, I don't need to... well, I should get two, one to stand on either side of Vader.  And maybe another two to stand guard while Obi-Wan deactivates the tractor beam... and another two to pose with Han as he escapes the Death Star... and DANGIT!  I don't need to army build, I don't need to army build..."

:)

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #226 on: June 30, 2004, 02:01 PM »
I'm ok with Lando's arms...  Better than nothing, and the rest of him's nothing short of incredible.  THe cape I can stomach, as I mentioned, only because I have at least 2 extra of it around here I think...  I know one anyway.

Han's so amazingly superior to CT Han, I really am just surprised at how "off" that figure now looks.  

Short of that, the Leia and Obi and Luke are the only "downers" to me, and even Leia I don't mind since I'm just happy to see her look half-assed for once in the white outfit.  The upper body not having softgoods though, is disappointing because they could've done that so well to match the bottom and have a realistic hood too.  Ah well.  Opportunity lost.

Anyone else see Vator's mention that the gun isn't flimsy with Han?

Guess their "personal safety standards" flew out the window on this wave huh?   ::)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 1, 2004, 01:17 PM »
Yoda is on a Canadian card!  :o

Yoda on Canadian Card

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #228 on: July 1, 2004, 01:57 PM »

Hmmm are they all bilingual?

Offline wai

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 2, 2004, 05:31 AM »
Here they come...

http://www.galactichunter.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=OTC&Number=73272&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Woo-Hoo!

Jeff

Oh,everywhere has the same problem :P So let every collector most wanted Luke and makes Luke "hard to find" :-\ I think this suituation will continue in the next wave >:(
www.starwars-force.com~~"The only Chinese starwars web site"

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 2, 2004, 06:54 AM »

Anyone else see Vator's mention that the gun isn't flimsy with Han?

Actually, I'd put that as tough, since hard sounds just wrong, you'll find it kind rough in placing it in the holster. I mean this is a hard little peice of plastic.

So in short, very nice.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 2, 2004, 11:09 AM »
Yoda is on a Canadian card!  :o

Yoda on Canadian Card

Why is the bubble in that pic so messed up?  Are they going for the vintage ebay auction look? :-\
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #232 on: July 2, 2004, 05:23 PM »
The funny thing about that gun is that the Han pistols never bother me if they're pliable.

Pliable's ok in many smaller weapons...  Didn't work so great in the case of the last Cantina alien with his goofy gunslinging pistols that were pathetic (and yet Hasbro somehow expected them to hold up blast effects...  Apparantly nobody had physics 101 that works up in Pawtucket.  :) ), but in general the smaller guns it works ok on.

It's the crap like the Rebel rifle, Amanaman's staff, or something so large and weighty that it just isn't going to work out...  

Han's guns never bugged me if they were pliable.  When a Rebel Rifle's bent at a 90 degree angle in the packaging though...  Blah.

Funny thing there, the Hoth Soldier's rifle, or the 2 I got ahold of, were not near as pliable as the Endor Troops version.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 2, 2004, 05:29 PM »
Well the cold obviously make them britle.

That reminds me, Landos Vibro Axe is very annoying to have in a dio, it seems to bend very easily. I remember I set up a Endo Trooper charging a Stormtrooper with one like a bayonet. It didn't look to cool.

So, I had to freeze it for a little while and then it worked great.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 6, 2004, 01:30 PM »
Bigbadtoystore.com has two new preorders for these figures up:

Trilogy Vintage Set of First 8 Figures
Luke
Han
Obi-Wan
Leia
Darth
Yoda
Lando
C3P0
$84.99

Trilogy Vintage Wave .0005 Set of 6
Boba Fett
Stormtrooper
R2-D2
Chewbacca
Lando
Darth Vader
$66.99

Not bad, $10.85 a piece.  Not really wanting a spare Lando, but the second Vader would be great.  I have the first four ordered through them, but may cancel that, if they allow me and add in these.  

(Box and master case for Kubricks series 3 are also up for preorder).  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

SilverZ

« Reply #235 on: July 6, 2004, 09:20 PM »
Well, these have shown up at retail. The ones I found all had squished clamshells. You'd think for premium packaging and price Hasbro could have packed them more carefully. The cards inside survived fine, but I'm thinking my carded ones have to stay inside the clamshell because of the OTC silver banner thats incorporated into the front of the shell. How very frustrating.

I cracked open all three (Leia, Ben, Han) and... I'm not all that impressed.  :-\ They're still the closest thing to the "ultimate" representations, but they miss by a nose. Here's my typically negative slanted thoughts:

Han doesn't seem to have waist articulation and his vest is not a seperate piece like previous versions. Still, he's got great articulation otherwise and the headsculpt is the closest ever.

Leia's soft goods seem to be rather pointless. A soft goods hood would have been more appropriate. She has ballsocket style knee articulation. Why? Who knows. She can sit, I guess, if there was a place or scene that she needs to be sitting. For us concerned with Lando's arm articulation, Leia is a preview - it limits poses to holding a blaster or cupping her hands, ala the card image. A neutral stance just ain't happenin'. But like Han, the headsulpt is sweetness.

Now here's where I'm shocked - I really like Ben! With a bit of work you can actually manipulate the SG cloak to look very realistic, which seems to have to do with its bulk and the fact that it's a very heavy material. He still looks silly without it though. The headsculpt is nice and its is an older style ball joint, with the ball at the bottom of the neck, inside the torso, so he has a bit of up-down movement as well as left-to-right.

EDIT: Oops, gotta retract my comment about the waist thing on Han. It moves, I'm just a wuss at forcing it to move.  ::)
« Last Edit: July 6, 2004, 10:08 PM by Tydirium »

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #236 on: July 7, 2004, 11:34 AM »
Don't know if everyone saw this or not yet so...

vOTC Wave 3 up for Pre-Order at EE

Search for Fett wave 3 to find it...

2x Fett
2x Stormie
1x Chewie
1x R2-D2
1x Lando
1x Vader

:o

A case pack that doesn't automatically suck?  2x Stormie, the army-builder!  Yes!  I just got done placing my pre-order!

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #237 on: July 7, 2004, 11:39 AM »
Here it is

VOTC Wave 3

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 7, 2004, 11:40 AM »
Thanks for the heads-up Jeff, just placed my order  :D.

Beth

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 7, 2004, 11:41 AM »
Just got word that Amazon is shipping my first wave of VOTC, sans Luke.  I'm eager to pop these out of the bubbles!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback