Author Topic: Vintage OTC Figures - A New Hope  (Read 63907 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Vintage OTC Figures
« Reply #255 on: July 9, 2004, 03:13 PM »
Awesome, B!

Is vOTC Han as cool as we thought he'd be?  I can't wait for the pics of Chewie to see how well Han and Chewie go together.

Nor can I wait until I get my hands on one of those vOTC  figures... might have to hit a few extra K-Marts on my toy run today/tomorrow!

Speaking of which, how are people's clam-shells looking?  Initial reports seemed to be saying that the clam-shell was pretty thin and thus was being scrunched straight from the cases...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 9, 2004, 03:22 PM »
Yeah Jeff, he's all kinds of cool...to me at least.  I haven't quite got up the nerve to rip him off that card yet, although I do want to.  Just looks so nice the way it is.  The clamshell on the one I received was actually in pretty good shape from what I could tell, also, it comes off pretty easily if you want to get a closer look at the figure/card itself.  Maybe it is just me, but it seemed like the cardback itself was a bit thin-ish...maybe someone else who has found these can back that up, or it is just the one I received.  I have a feeling this cardback that I have would get beat to heck if it wasn't inside a clamshell, especially if it was on a peg, in the store.

I probably should have just had patience and waited to find them at retail (still hoping these aren't as tough to find as we initially thought), but since I was placing an order at Amazon anyways, I figured the shipping would be split up so I just threw one in there.  I'm happy I did though.  I'm anxious to see what Chewie is going to look like too, I'd really like to get these to displayed with a nice new OTC Falcon.  Nice centerpiece for the mantle or top of entertainment center right?  Somehow I'm guessing my wife won't agree :D

On that note...didn't Hasbro say we'd get a look at 3PO this week?  They're running out of time :).

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 9, 2004, 03:58 PM »
My clamshell was in mint condition, but I got it from the net, so maybe just the retail ones?
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline proudfather2

• Jedi Initiate
  • Todd
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 11, 2004, 03:57 PM »
I found the first four of these figures today, I'm assuming Leia is the htf one as she was merely one while the others were three each. Anyway, Han looks quite magnificent, the rest however just look, let's just say, not appealing to me. If it weren't for the cloth I'd gladly buy this set. They're much, much thinner than I expected for being in a protective case.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #259 on: July 12, 2004, 07:31 AM »
Well  I finally got these the other day...  (No Luke yet)

Initial impressions are actually mixed...  not so much on Han, but rather Leia and Obi-Wan.  Well, actually none of the 3 are truly "perfect"...  neither was the SA Clone, but dare I say that he and Deluxe Durge were slightly more so than these figures?  Hmmm

-Han...  The closest to perfection by far and away I'd say....  My only gripes are the holster and the vest really.

Sculpt's incredible really, the articulation's hidden perfectly, and he's truly super poseable, but...  The holster's thigh-loop is awkward because it doesn''t hold the gun.  I almost would have rather seen a sculpted pistol belt, but yet part of me is ecstatic with the separate holster too.  This is a real catch 22 for me.

The other thing is the vest is molded on.  I like the removable vests myself, and think it would've improved this figure had it been, considering they did the holster belt.

Not disappointed, just found a couple things I consider flaws...

-Leia...  Disappointed in the articulation.  The angle-cut joints at the elbows suck anymore, and it's an articulation style that's going the way of the do-do.  Ball/socket's hide better and provide more range.  That said though, HER cut joints are as good as it gets for that style so I'm not really upset with them.

Her knee joint I am disappointed in, to see she didn't get a ball/socket knee set like Han.  Much better than the hinges.  Her feet are sculpted in a way that a running pose is difficult for her.  I've managed though, so again I'm not too disappointed, just a little.

No mini blaster?  Sorta sad there...  I'd loved to have had an accurate version of that gun for her to blast stormies with too...  Stormie rifle's nice though, and she can hold it with 2 hands, but looks cool without it as well.

The lack of soft-goods hood.  I'd have liked a hood to drape on her for both ANH modes...  Oh well.

I'm still digging Leia...  Best Leia yet I think, though the headsculpt's nowhere near the quality of Han's or Ben's.  Still good though.

-Ben...  Biggest letdown of the lot.  his cloak is bulky and awkward, and this is coming from a Softgoods fan.  We knew it would be, but nonetheless it's disappointing.

I'm also very disappointed, and this is probably the only thing I was very disappointed with other than a $10 pricetag, to see they skrimped 100% on his leg articulation.  He has absolutely no knee or ankle joints, and Obi-Wan should considering his climactic duel.  Very disaappointing to see he is just a basic figure, especially since they went to the effort of a soft goods skirt.

The other thing is that Obi-Wan does NOT have ball/socket elbows, and the lack of them is what makes his arms look atrocious without the cloak on.  Really they don't look bad if you have them in the one pose they look decent in, but if you don't, well, lookout.

Ball/socket elbows, again, would've improved the physical looks of this figure, and allowed for a much greater range of motion than what he has.  His arms are at such an acute angle that he really can be tough to get in "normal" poses.  :(  I'm hoping a new cloak sewn up for him in a looser material will look cool though, and that I'll just be able to work around the other things.

So overall, only Obi's a letdown.  Not bad...

But for $10, I wanted closer to perfection on at least Obi.  Leia's not bad at all really.

The packaging is clearly where the $'s at in these figues...  They're really just nice basic action figures though otherwise.  Really nice basic action figures.  :)

The packaging is cool enough that I carefully slit open the bubbles to take the figures out.  I'll keep it as a backdrop to each one I think...  It's unique...  As a non-carded collector though, I'd certainly have been happy with cheaper stuff.  Even if there were no clamshell or whatnot, just something cheaper...  $10's a lot for any action figure these days, unless they're larger than the 6" scale and pretty nicely done.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 12, 2004, 01:48 PM »
I was just thinking about this....do you think that once these figures hit retail (well, they are at K-Mart, possibly TRU I guess), that they will have their own "peg space".  They should, since they are a different pricepoint, and the star cases take up a bit more space.  That said, are any of you seeing anywhere for these to go at your local stores?  The Wal-Marts, Targets, and TRU nearest us don't really have anywhere for these to go...and only have a few pegs period for Star Wars.  Just wondering if it was a sign of how soon these would be at mass-retail, or if they are just around the corner.  I'm placing an Amazon order sometime this week, and was tempted to tack on the Leia or Obi, but maybe I should be much more patient about things (and I probably will wait it out).  Just wondering when they will start hitting retail heavier, we don't have any K-Marts in the area :).

Also, on a side note, whatever happened to the C-3PO update Hasbro?  I hope we get a look at the rest of the line (ROTJ) at Comic-Con next week.

SilverZ

« Reply #261 on: July 12, 2004, 04:09 PM »
I was wondering about that 3P0 update too. Maybe the sorta-holiday Monday threw them off. I have a stinking feeling though that he's just not up to snuff with the rest of the figs in the line and they're dancing around it.

When I grabbed the VOTCs at Kmart here, they were on their own peg below the regular figures. It looked like they had to do some adjusting of the other SW pegs to get them to fit. But this is Kmart, and I don't think they exactly follow strict planograms, or whatever they use. I'm fully expecting that the first time these are found at Target, they'll be sitting on the shelve stacked up after the stocker realized they didn't fit in the normal Star Wars peg area.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 12, 2004, 08:01 PM »
Did anybody else notice that Leia doesn't have pegholes for her feet?

I can pretty much agree with Jesse on his assessments.  I too was really hoping she'd have her blaster.

Han Solo is the Ultimate Star Wars figure in the Modern line for me now.  I am just hoping enough can be found for a custom Bespin or Endor version.

Offline wai

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 13, 2004, 11:45 AM »
I found the first four of these figures today, I'm assuming Leia is the htf one as she was merely one while the others were three each. Anyway, Han looks quite magnificent, the rest however just look, let's just say, not appealing to me. If it weren't for the cloth I'd gladly buy this set. They're much, much thinner than I expected for being in a protective case.

You got all 4?You got Luke?
www.starwars-force.com~~"The only Chinese starwars web site"

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #264 on: July 14, 2004, 01:32 PM »
Found my first batch of vOTC today at lunch and gobbled them up!

Han - Simply Amazing.  These cards are sooooooo sweet once holding them in my hands.  I thin kI am starting to fall into the "crazy" catergory, thinking I now need 3 sets  :P

Ben - his hands!  No one has mentioned how his HANDS are sculpted to look "old"!  His hands look like my grandpa's hands!  Such attention to detail is CRAZY.  I love him, but he looks a bit silly without the cloak on.

Leia - Best Leia yet IMHO.  Great sculpt, 1000 times better than 95 "Monkey-Face" Leia.  Very cool figure!

No sign of Luke yet though...

So happy to be holding these in my hands that I could  :'(

Jeff
:)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 14, 2004, 01:42 PM »
Congrats on the VOTC finds Jeff!  I broke down and ordered Obi and Leia via Amazon.com as well now, since we were placing an order there anyways for some other things.  Did the same thing with Han last week, and received him on Friday.  He looks amazing, and its all I can do to not rip him off the card to check it out closer.  These figures are amazing, and I really wish they would look to expand/continue this line in the future...even if it was just limited to 10-12 a year, collector focused like these are.  I really want to pick up 2 sets, so I can keep one carded, but the wifey isn't going for it so far.  I guess I can understand at $10 a pop.  Anyways, congratulations again on the finds, have you opened any of them up yet?  I'm hoping Luke shows up sometime soon as well (and the rest of the waves!)  Can't wait to see some pics from Comic-Con.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #266 on: July 14, 2004, 01:45 PM »
I picked them up over lunch, so I only had a chance to open Obi-Wan before my boss stopped by and it was back to work :(

I'll open them tonight and let you know if I dicover anything cool once they are loose!

Jeff

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 15, 2004, 09:26 AM »
I'm not sure if this is a sign or not, and don't really know much about this company, but apparently Alliance Collectibles has VOTC Luke, Vader, Yoda, and Lando "in stock" and ready to ship by next week sometime.  They also have the next Unleashed wave (Bossk, Tusken, Aayla).  Hopefully all of these will start showing up elsewhere soon too, can't wait for that ESB wave of figures from the VOTC.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Son of a bitch.
« Reply #268 on: July 15, 2004, 03:59 PM »
I got my Han, Leia, and Obi-Wan from Amazon today.

The clamshells on all three are bent in many areas, and Leia's card is bent in the lower right corner. While these will do fine for an opener set, that isn't the point.
I paid for the f---ing shipping, they should be packed well so as not to be crushed on arrival.

I'd hate to be someone buying two sets from these hosers and having them all smashed to hell, especially at the $11 point Amazon is asking.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 03:59 PM by HMI »
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #269 on: July 15, 2004, 04:09 PM »
How do you really feel, Ben?   :P

That's a bummer, but not terribly surprising considering it was Amazon.  They usually just throw their figures in a box, and toss one or two of those large "air pack" thingees, and that's it.  I would never go Amazon if I was shooting for something MOMC.  I was hoping that at least the VOTC plastic clamshells would at least be able to absorb most of the shipping truama though.  Guess not.   :-\