Author Topic: Vintage OTC Figures - A New Hope  (Read 63565 times)

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage OTC Figures
« Reply #375 on: August 6, 2004, 02:42 PM »
I emailed EE and will post whatever they reply with.  Sucks for me as I passed when I saw Han and Obi-wan because I had them on order.  They are now long-gone so I'm hoping for positive news.
Beth

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #376 on: August 6, 2004, 05:34 PM »
As of today, I saw both Han and Obi at stores around my neck of the woods Beth so if need be give me a hollar.  They hit en masse this week at Wal-Mart stores and Targets.  They've subsequently sold well too as Han's disappearing some and Ben's around.  Leia's so-so.  The Han does move quick.

I got the first one I saw today for my 2nd Han, but saw him twice more.  He was just lesser than the others.

I STILL have no Luke.  And with the Bespin wave showing up I'm a little nervous on Luke since I actually like that figure as opposed to lots of other people.

Then again I love this line overall.  Even Ben I think is the best old Ben there is.

Anyway, shoot a PM over if you wind up stuck Beth and I'm sure myself and anyone else will help if we can.  I still owe you one anyway.  :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #377 on: August 6, 2004, 05:45 PM »
I emailed EE and will post whatever they reply with.  Sucks for me as I passed when I saw Han and Obi-wan because I had them on order.  They are now long-gone so I'm hoping for positive news.

Beth, since I'm sending you a package this weekend anyway, with your SDCC loot, I'd be happy to toss in any of those 3 VOTC figures (Han, Leia, Ben).  I've got some extras of each at home (they're $10.81 each with tax), and can easily include them with your other stuff, so LMK!   :-*

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 6, 2004, 06:51 PM »
Thanks Matt, I sent you a pm.  EE stated in their response that they are expecting their order and have not heard anything about it being cancelled.  I'll hold out hope that all e-tailers will not suffer the same news as sws.com.  

Beth

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #379 on: August 6, 2004, 07:37 PM »
Found Luke, Vader and Yoda at the local TRU after stopping at every TRU, Wal Mart and Target from Des Moines to home, I find them 2 blocks from my house

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #380 on: August 6, 2004, 07:42 PM »
Lucky bastard!   >:(

(that's news, ya' know...)  I see you're way ahead of me.   ;)
« Last Edit: August 6, 2004, 07:43 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #381 on: August 6, 2004, 08:13 PM »
Yeah man, I went on the search for a Luke today and came up empty-handed.  :(

Scott goes out and the heavens open up...  Traffic probably parts like the Red Sea, and he just gets what's brand new.  Dammit!

:)

Not only Luke, but Vader and Yoda?  Double Dammit!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

SilverZ

« Reply #382 on: August 6, 2004, 08:36 PM »
Found Luke, Vader and Yoda at the local TRU

Is Hasbro packing these in cases with Saga Watto and the Preview Zam Wessel? Because if they aren't, my TRU's aren't interested in them. Their idea of vintage figures is a crapload of stuff from 2002 at full retail price.

EDIT: Sorry, what I meant to say was congratulations and finding something new. I'm just a little pissed since I just got burned on an OTC case purchase and I must vent my hate into the 'net.
« Last Edit: August 6, 2004, 08:38 PM by Tydirium »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #383 on: August 9, 2004, 12:28 AM »
Not real high on the chain on Vader...and I would have prefered ball/socket elbows over the cut versions, just would have made him more poseable.  The cape though is sweet and the rest of the detail is amazing, its another close but not quite there efforts which seem to be the norm for the VOTC :-[

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 9, 2004, 09:16 AM »
Congrats on the finds Scott, really looking forward to both of those figures (Vader/Yoda)...well, and Luke for that matter.  I checked TRU a couple of times this weekend after reading your finds, but the one here in town doesn't even have a peg for the VOTC anymore.  In fact, there doesn't seem to be any actual "figures" from the OTC/VOTC in town anymore.  Everything else (Jedi Council sets, Falcon, X-Wing, TIE, Vader's TIE, buddies) have shown up (and seem to keep sitting), but otherwise its been bought up and not replaced.  Hopefully we'll start seeing more and more of this stuff soon though.

Oh...and I was wondering, what do you think of the Yoda?  Best ever (modern) or do you prefer the OTC Dagobah version (or a different one) to this one?  Just curious, congrats again on the finds!
« Last Edit: August 9, 2004, 11:40 AM by mosnab »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 9, 2004, 03:47 PM »
I see that GH has a report that the VOTC Vader and Yoda have now been spotted at a Target in Arizona.  Good to hear these are showing up in more places.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #386 on: August 9, 2004, 03:50 PM »
Hmm, Yoda is a tough one, I like the robe but like Obi-Wan its a bit poofy, both of them bug me due to Hasbro's inability to grasp color and style.  Not sure if this is because of the current SW style guide slick sheets saying that Yoda has to be this color green or what it is.  Its a nice figure too, the whole just there aspect of all of them bug me
« Last Edit: August 9, 2004, 04:19 PM by OCB »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 9, 2004, 04:15 PM »
I agree Scott, the color hasn't ever seemed quite right on Yoda...and the facial sculpt has always been a little less than I would think they are capable of since he is an "alien", which are sometimes easier to nail than human sculpts.  Still looking forward to finding that figure though.

I see that Galactic Hunter has a feature up on a VOTC R2-D2 PROTOTYPE, which does in fact show the sensorscope.  Nice to see this included on our favorite astromech.  Click the above linky for more pics.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #388 on: August 9, 2004, 04:23 PM »
So, R2 definately has a saw, probe, scope, AND removable third leg?  Too friggin sweet.

8)

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #389 on: August 9, 2004, 07:48 PM »
I'm torn on Yoda myself...

It looks definitive, and I like the softgoods, but if it's really puffy, I dunno.  

With Dagobah Yoda coming out at the same time, he's a REALLY tough figure to surpass.  It is, probably, as good a Yoda as you can get without getting one with awesome softgoods.  

I'm torn.   :-\

I nabbed Luke today.  Freaky figure.  I'm digging the ball/socket hips.  A first and really something I'd love to see down the road on other figures (anyone on a speederbike, namely), and I dig the bare arms.  Best bare arm fodder available.

The torso's oddlly sculpted, but it really didn't need to be.  That's disappointing.