Author Topic: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...  (Read 191882 times)

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...
« Reply #540 on: August 22, 2013, 09:35 AM »
But  as Rob pointed out, ebay is totally skewed toward buyers in these cases.

That isn't completely true. In my only experience opening a case against a seller, I actually lost. I got some figures that reeked of cigarette smoke, and the seller had described them as "great condition", "mint condition", etc. Never mentioned any odors. The seller offered to take a return, but wanted me to assume all shipping costs (around $20). I thought that was BS, and since the item wasn't as described I would open a case with eBay. Well, eBay decided that cigarette odor matched the "used" description and that I merely didn't want the item, so they ruled in the sellers favor.

I have read a couple of similar stories over the past year or so of buyers getting shoddy items, but losing "not as described" cases because of the "used" tag/description. I'm sure that is the exception to the rule, but dealing with eBay as a buyer CAN go both ways.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 22, 2013, 10:37 AM »
What's the profit margin for single sample shoes on eBay?  Seems like a lot of hassle.

You'd be surprised at how many people collect Nike stuff... and there's always a market for people who only need one shoe.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #542 on: August 22, 2013, 01:20 PM »
You'd have cleaned up after the civil war.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 23, 2013, 03:33 PM »
The plot thickens... the first guy went ahead and ignored my reply and sent the shoe back anyway.  So now I have the shoe and no intention of giving him a refund.  This is going to be fun...

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: August 23, 2013, 06:35 PM »
Yep.

The second girl just opened her case... I offered her a 50% refund and she ignored me.  I've decided to let it be a test case for me.  If they find in her favor, I won't sell there again.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 23, 2013, 07:31 PM »
Yep.

The second girl just opened her case... I offered her a 50% refund and she ignored me.  I've decided to let it be a test case for me.  If they find in her favor, I won't sell there again.

I sincerely hope that eBay covers your rear on this one. This is clearly a case of the buyer just not wanting the item. To an extent it might be easier to offer returns, but you shouldn't be forced to. Also the buyers would then just complain about shipping and such and open cases anyway.

I'm extremely curious about the guy who returned the shoe so please keep us posted on how that goes. I would think that if your tracking number shows the item was delivered to the buyer it should be all good. I have no idea if eBay can force you to refund if the guy mailed the shoe of his own free will (and against your advice), but this is also eBay we're talking about...

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #546 on: August 23, 2013, 08:55 PM »
Or don't sell SINGLE SHOES.  Unless you open the photo in Photoshop and plaster "SINGLE RIGHT SHOE ONLY" all over the image.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 23, 2013, 11:11 PM »
Or don't sell SINGLE SHOES.  Unless you open the photo in Photoshop and plaster "SINGLE RIGHT SHOE ONLY" all over the image.

I looked into completed auctions and found that there were plenty of examples of people selling single sample Nike's (presumably to collectors) to leave me with the impression that it was a relatively routine thing that happens on there.

I sincerely hope that eBay covers your rear on this one. This is clearly a case of the buyer just not wanting the item. To an extent it might be easier to offer returns, but you shouldn't be forced to. Also the buyers would then just complain about shipping and such and open cases anyway.

I'm extremely curious about the guy who returned the shoe so please keep us posted on how that goes. I would think that if your tracking number shows the item was delivered to the buyer it should be all good. I have no idea if eBay can force you to refund if the guy mailed the shoe of his own free will (and against your advice), but this is also eBay we're talking about...

I'll definitely let everyone know how it turns out now that I've involved everyone in the whole thing.  The case that was opened was that the item didn't match the description, which I don't think they'll be able to defend.  So, despite my item having a "no returns or exchanges" this is the transcript so far... get your popcorn ready:

"I PROVIDED A TRACKING NUMBER OF THE ITEM AND IT WILL BE DELIVERED WITHIN 2-3 BUSINESS DAYS WITH INSURANCE. I WANT A FULL REFUND."

The case says they're requesting a refund of the total amount, including their shipping costs - which is even more absurd. 

Here was my reply... I figure whoever moderates this will be reading it eventually, so I'm basically stating my case already:

"The Buyer's claim that the item was not as described is false. The auction was always for one sample Nike shoe. The auction title was clearly marked as "Right Running Shoe Size W 7". The item description said "Right Running Shoe - Size Women's 7 . Right Shoe Sample Only."

Furthermore there was a photo provided of a single shoe.  Additionally with four days remaining in the auction I added this note: "I've gotten a few questions, so I want to re-iterate that this auction is not for a pair of shoes. It is for one sample shoe (right shoe) - auction is for collectors or people looking to replace one shoe."

Lastly, the auction was clearly marked as "No Refunds or Exchanges." I do not see how I could have been more clear about this.

At this point it would be best to let eBay decide. In an earlier message the buyer admitted that they did not read the description when they said "I'm sorry too I did not read it well or I misunderstood."

My feedback history speaks for itself."

She replies:

"I DON'T KNOW WHY THE BUYER IS VERY INCONSIDERATE.AS I'VE SAID MISTAKES DO HAPPEN.HE ADVERTISED THE SHOE AS FIT SOLE 2 SAMPLE. I GUESSED HE INTEND TO CAUSE CONFUSION TO CUSTOMERS.I RETURNED THE SHOE AND PROVIDED A TRACKING NUMBER AND STILL DOES NOT WANT TO REFUND MY MONEY.I DO NOT KNOW WHY HE IS SO INTERESTED WITH THE $73.22 WHEN IN FACT HE DID NOT LOST ANY. I LOST $8.75 SENDING BACK THE SHOE.I AM WILLING TO PAY HIS $3.75 FOR HIS EXPENSE SENDING THE SHOE.HE ALSO OVERCHARGED ME WITH THE SHIPPING WHICH IS $6.00"

And now my last reply until eBay weighs in and someone on their end makes a decision...

1) I didn't over charge you for shipping, I have the receipt at my office and the cost to ship was more than $6.00.  The woman at the post office did something odd on the receipt where she rang me up for $5.00 in pre-paid postage per parcel that I mailed that day.  The total to ship was $5.00 more than whatever the sticker on the box said, and I can document that conclusively.

2) You have just admitted again that the mistake was yours.  I'm sorry, but this further shows that you are being dishonest when you accuse me of listing the item inaccurately. 

3) I told you 3 times that I don't take refunds and asked you not to send the shoe back, you did so anyway.  I am not responsible for that decision.

4) I listed the shoe as "Fit Sole 2 Sample" because that is EXACTLY what it was.  A 'Nike Air Max Fit Sole 2' Sample shoe. Fit Sole 2 is the model of the shoe.

Sending angry emails in all caps doesn't change the facts.  I'm done arguing about this and will wait for eBay to get involved.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 11:11 PM by Rob »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #548 on: August 24, 2013, 02:04 AM »
She replies:

"I DON'T KNOW WHY THE BUYER IS VERY INCONSIDERATE.AS I'VE SAID MISTAKES DO HAPPEN.HE ADVERTISED THE SHOE AS FIT SOLE 2 SAMPLE. I GUESSED HE INTEND TO CAUSE CONFUSION TO CUSTOMERS.I RETURNED THE SHOE AND PROVIDED A TRACKING NUMBER AND STILL DOES NOT WANT TO REFUND MY MONEY.I DO NOT KNOW WHY HE IS SO INTERESTED WITH THE $73.22 WHEN IN FACT HE DID NOT LOST ANY. I LOST $8.75 SENDING BACK THE SHOE.I AM WILLING TO PAY HIS $3.75 FOR HIS EXPENSE SENDING THE SHOE.HE ALSO OVERCHARGED ME WITH THE SHIPPING WHICH IS $6.00"

I will reimburse the $73.22 myself under the condition that this person uses it to enroll in a remedial writing course at the community college of her choosing.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #549 on: August 24, 2013, 05:12 PM »
Lol :)

This is oddly fun but Matt's offer just made it hilarious.  Seriously extend that to someone.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: August 24, 2013, 07:30 PM »
I'm on by best behavior until we see what eBay does with the whole thing, but yeah - I've been resisting the urge to say some stuff about basic English and how to read item descriptions.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: August 25, 2013, 03:03 PM »
Nike's fault for naming their shoe with a number.  :P

A few years ago, I sold some chintzy plastic NFL team football helmet collectibles once and forgot to put size (not knowing there's different sizes/scales) or that "penny" comparison photo people do. On the day the auction was ending, some guy sends a questions asking what size they were.  I replied with approximate measurements, and records showed I did. He had bid on them. Paid for them. And I shipped. Then he got buyer's remorse when he discovered they weren't the ones he collected. Threatened to open a case unless he was totally refunded including shipping. I told him my eBay messages showed I replied to his question before the auction ended, and eBay doesn't cover buyer's remorse. Never heard another thing from him or eBay. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: August 25, 2013, 05:57 PM »
New wrinkle... just bought a $6.99 item on eBay and went to pay it only to find that Paypal has a temporary charge on my account for the $79 that this woman wanted, which took the $25 I had in there and left me with about a negative $55 balance, so I can't send this guy the $6.99 without also giving Paypal everything they need to take the rest of the money from me, which I am not happy about.  This system is retarded, how about you just charge me if and when you resolve the case instead of immediately before reviewing the facts.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #553 on: August 25, 2013, 07:46 PM »
In eBay and PayPal's opinion, the customer is always right.  There's no way you're coming out on top here.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: August 25, 2013, 07:51 PM »
New wrinkle... just bought a $6.99 item on eBay and went to pay it only to find that Paypal has a temporary charge on my account for the $79 that this woman wanted, which took the $25 I had in there and left me with about a negative $55 balance, so I can't send this guy the $6.99 without also giving Paypal everything they need to take the rest of the money from me, which I am not happy about.  This system is retarded, how about you just charge me if and when you resolve the case instead of immediately before reviewing the facts.

Paypal's hold system is very annoying. When I first started selling a couple years back, my money would be held by Paypal for something like three weeks or until the buyer left positive feedback, whichever came first. It's understandable that Paypal/Ebay wants to prevent people from registering as sellers and scamming, but the hold system wouldn't even allow me to use money to pay for shipping labels. Everything I sold had to be mailed in-person from at the post office. Definitely a dumb setup.