Author Topic: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...  (Read 191903 times)

Offline JediMoses

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...
« Reply #585 on: September 7, 2013, 03:40 PM »
Yeah, the picture wasn't clear enough to tell.  I compared to known authentic ones and there are a couple of things off.  Then I logged on to an autograph collector site and discovered that the "authenticator" is an exposed forger. 

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: September 9, 2013, 01:52 PM »
I don't know if its me, but it seems like eBay buyers are getting a lot more flaky.

I don't remember having more than a couple of issues in the first 10 years of eBay.  Those I just chalked up to a$$holes.

I just listed about 70 SW MicroMachines the other day and about 2/3 of the completed auctions completed without a hitch, but 12 days later I'm still waiting for payment on 1/3 of the stuff.

I also have had a bunch of problems recently with people complaining about the condition of items I've sold.  It's gotten so bad that I don't even describe the condition as anything other than "new".  "Minor shelf wear" apparently mean "mint, without a single solitary mark" to some buyers.

And similar to Rob's issue, it seems like a lot of the eBay buyers thinks everyone is a retail store that they can just send stuff back to and expect free shipping.

I miss the days when it was just people sell stuff out of their basement and people were generally nice about it.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: September 9, 2013, 04:41 PM »
12 days later?  I file non-paying bidder forms after 4 unless I get a really good excuse in the mail.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: January 17, 2014, 12:15 PM »
Latest eBay drama...

Okay... so I sold a bunch of army builders last month.  I don't sell to other countries, but this guy in Denmark asks really nicely to buy 3 AT-AT drivers so I say okay.

I charge him $10 to ship and the actual cost was $9.45.  He asks me what I spent and I tell him, and he has the nerve to ask for a $0.55 refund.  Never mind that it's shipping AND handling... that eBay now takes fees out of your shipping charges... I don't want an upset customer over $0.55, so I send him the money.

Fast forward a week or so and he gets the package and is very upset that there aren't action figure stands with the figures.  He correctly points out that I listed them as complete with all their accessories.  I of course meant helmets, weapons, backpacks, etc... and forgot all about the fact that they ever had stands.

Being as shipping them back to me would be cost prohibitive, I offer him a $5 refund to compensate (he only spent $4.99 per figure).  He replies that this isn't good enough, and that tracking down stands will be difficult, and that last time he did this they cost him $2.50 each.  Never mind how outrageous that all is, I cough up the $7.50 because an extra $2.50 isn't worth negative feedback to me.

Fast forward again and he's left me positive feedback (yay).  I decline to leave him feedback.

He emails me and asks me to leave him positive feedback.  I ignore his email.

Now today, two weeks later, he emails me again asking me to leave him positive feedback.

So, my question... can he revise the feedback he already left me and turn it negative if he gets mad at me for not leaving him positive feedback?

What I WANT to do, is send him an email detailing exactly why I consider him to be a pain in the ass and won't be leaving him positive feedback or making exceptions for international buyers in the future, but don't want to do this if he can change his feedback retroactively.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: January 17, 2014, 01:10 PM »
So, my question... can he revise the feedback he already left me and turn it negative if he gets mad at me for not leaving him positive feedback?

Nope, he can't revise it unless you submit a Feedback revision request.  Can Feedback be changed or removed?

eBay members need to understand that sellers /buyers do not have the right to influence your feedback or demand positive as a condition for refunds.

I have not received feedback for sellers that I posted a positive for. Don't see my crying the blues, that's the way they wan't to play... **** em!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: January 17, 2014, 04:28 PM »
What a hassle.  I would just continue to ignore him.  You can certainly leave him nuetral feedback as well detailing your experience.  Not the nicest thing for him, but a good warning to others.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: January 17, 2014, 05:04 PM »
I would just ignore him too.  I've left neutral feedback for crappy buyers only to receive a flurry of angry responses.

Its just one of the fun parts of eBay  ::)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: January 17, 2014, 05:07 PM »
Agreed.  It's the eBay version of dealing with a troll.  Don't leave feedback, and in time he'll go away.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: January 17, 2014, 08:15 PM »
Wow, that guy sounds annoying. He can't revise the feedback he left, so you don't have to worry about any repercussions by ignoring him. Sellers can't leave neutral feedbacks for buyers anymore, but you aren't forced to submit a positive feedback. Some sellers leave positive feedbacks with negative comments, but personally I don't like that practice. I recommend just continuing to ignore the buyer and also adding him to your blocked bidder list, which should block him from sending messages to you.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: January 17, 2014, 10:56 PM »
Thanks guys.  I called eBay a little while after I posted to look into it, and they told me what you guys did.  He can leave a comment on the positive feedback that he already left, but he can't change it - so it won't go into the percentages at least.  I'm going to take the high road once more time and ignore him, but he's already on strike 2.  If he asks again, I probably won't be able to resist telling him (nicely) why I'm doing what I did.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: January 20, 2014, 03:33 PM »
I hate you Rob. 

Completely irrationally I'm blaming you for what just happened to me on EBay.  I believe I just got hosed by a Mexican buyer that claims an item never arrived.  I didn't provide tracking because to ship from Canada to Mexico is stupid expensive and the buyer declined.  I decided to be a nice guy and ship to him anyway (I am a fool) and he filed for non-delivery.  Well, without tracking I have no proof and no way will EBay side with me.  Not even going to try and fight this one but two crappy postal systems = disaster for me.  I'm out $50 and no way am I shipping to Mexico ever again. 

I don't believe the problem was at the Canadian end either as I shipped seven other auctions out the same day as the one to Mexico and they all arrived.  I know this because (miraculously) I received feedback on all of the other auctions. 

Stoopid eBay.  Stupider seller.   >:( :P
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: January 20, 2014, 04:09 PM »
Any chance it is still on its way?  I bought something from China a few months back and it literally took a full month to get to me for some reason.  Guess they are making delivery by rowboat these days.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: January 20, 2014, 06:07 PM »
I hate you Rob. 

Completely irrationally I'm blaming you for what just happened to me on EBay.  I believe I just got hosed by a Mexican buyer that claims an item never arrived.  I didn't provide tracking because to ship from Canada to Mexico is stupid expensive and the buyer declined.  I decided to be a nice guy and ship to him anyway (I am a fool) and he filed for non-delivery.  Well, without tracking I have no proof and no way will EBay side with me.  Not even going to try and fight this one but two crappy postal systems = disaster for me.  I'm out $50 and no way am I shipping to Mexico ever again. 

I don't believe the problem was at the Canadian end either as I shipped seven other auctions out the same day as the one to Mexico and they all arrived.  I know this because (miraculously) I received feedback on all of the other auctions. 

Stoopid eBay.  Stupider seller.   >:( :P

For your hail mary... call eBay directly.  When I had the issue with the dumb girl over the running shoe, a phone call sorted it all out.  If you have solid feedback and are nice to the person you talk to, you might be able to explain that you had good reason to not pay for tracking, and that this guy is clearly abusing the system to steal from you.

Definitely worth a shot.  They gave me my money back and removed the negative feedback that girl left me. 

But yeah, my bad.  Sorry for ******* that up for you.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #598 on: January 20, 2014, 07:10 PM »
A month from China is typical for them if it's not air...  It's usually cheaper to go that route, but takes about that long on everything I ever ordered.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: January 20, 2014, 09:37 PM »
Any chance it is still on its way?  I bought something from China a few months back and it literally took a full month to get to me for some reason.  Guess they are making delivery by rowboat these days.

Every chance it's still on the way.  I don't know Mexico well but I have to imagine that the postal system isn't any better than Canada's.  I mailed it on December 11th, so I'll give the buyer credit for waiting a good while (nearly six weeks) but that doesn't mean it isn't coming. 

As for calling ebay, no dice.  Responsibility for tracking is mine, even if I can prove I offered it and it was declined (which I can from the messages).  The tracking is to protect me, without it, the "buyer has no proof I shipped".   :-\
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.