Author Topic: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...  (Read 192265 times)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
Re: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...
« Reply #360 on: February 21, 2008, 02:02 PM »
And that's the catch.  Ebay is still, by far, the best choice in regards to maximizing exposure. 

Their problem is they've lost sight of their loyal customer base and have focused more on profit.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #361 on: February 21, 2008, 02:20 PM »
Ruiner you are dead on. That's the problem, when sellers leave or are put out of business their profits will dwindle. This very drastic change in a soft economy boggles the minds of most eBayers. I really think ioffer will catch on. Since you can take your feedback with you and list for free with lower FVF many from eBay will defect. While 2.5 million listings is not eBay level they do have the most auctions of any other site and they are growing. I will be posting on their site this weekend.

I plan on gathering all of my regular customers address from paypal and sending a mass email to them to bring some if not all my regulars over there.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 21, 2008, 02:47 PM »
Good idea.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 21, 2008, 07:30 PM »
Well it's only at 9.33% right now, but that's still good. The strike IS making an impact. It's up to eBay to act. Hopefully we'll know after the strike ends.

During the strike, I'm not bidding, watching or even going to the site.

Less foot traffic (even without bidding) will make a statement as well.

Thanks to everyone else who is in on the strike with me.

Even though I'm just a buyer there, I don't like what they are doing, so I'm supporting the sellers stance here as well.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #364 on: February 21, 2008, 11:16 PM »
The real test is if we can break the listings below 12 million before the strike "ends". I hope tomorrow we can do it.

Sal, this is going to kill my ebay business. i already am moving to ioffer as are many others. At least you can transfer your ebay feedback. The have a solid amount of Star Wars listings, hopefully that will grow in time.

Offline AndyG

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Outpost
« Reply #365 on: February 22, 2008, 06:20 AM »
Well the listing are currently pushing 13 million  :(

The graphs are now up on the website linked earlier and you can see the huge spike with the promo and at the moment things have levelled to where they were before the promo.

However, it would be interesting to see how many of those new auctions were just people re-listing from the auctions that didn't sell as part of the promotion - I know I used to routinely re-list with the promise of free insertion if the item sold a second time - I'm more selective at re-listing these days  ;)

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 22, 2008, 07:47 AM »
The real test is if we can break the listings below 12 million before the strike "ends". I hope tomorrow we can do it.

Sal, this is going to kill my ebay business. i already am moving to ioffer as are many others. At least you can transfer your ebay feedback. The have a solid amount of Star Wars listings, hopefully that will grow in time.

I signed up with iOffer last night. I'm a little leary at transferring my feedback though as you have to put in your password through iOffer to get it transferred.

So for now, I'll be happy to stay at zero feedback.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 22, 2008, 12:25 PM »
You know all ebay has to do to mess up your downward trend is to make another free insertion offer.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #368 on: February 22, 2008, 05:00 PM »
I signed up with iOffer last night. I'm a little leary at transferring my feedback though as you have to put in your password through iOffer to get it transferred.

Sal, I did it without a problem and changed my password after the fact. Just a suggestion.
ebay is not going to change it's time to move on. They do not want small sellers anymore, there is no other way to explain the massive changes. they just do not want to come out and say it.

ioffer.com, see you there!

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 22, 2008, 06:01 PM »

Sal, I did it without a problem and changed my password after the fact. Just a suggestion.
ebay is not going to change it's time to move on. They do not want small sellers anymore, there is no other way to explain the massive changes. they just do not want to come out and say it.

ioffer.com, see you there!

It only takes a second though for anyone to have your personal info if you give them your password, especially through electronic transfer.

I'll see you there on iOffer, I'll be the one with the zero feedback though....lol.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 23, 2008, 08:20 PM »
I don't think that strike worked.  :( The only downturn during the week was on the 21st. It looks like its gone back up since then. I think a strike would only work if it was a month long. I see the strike as having no effect on average.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 24, 2008, 12:07 PM »
I don't think that strike worked.  :( The only downturn during the week was on the 21st. It looks like its gone back up since then. I think a strike would only work if it was a month long. I see the strike as having no effect on average.

Well a statement has been made. People are already talking about and/or moving to other auction type sites. So the complete ramifications of the strike cannot fully be counted just by this one week. I'd say we'll get a better understanding of the whole thing in a few months.

If eBay makes some changes or we start seeing on the news/net that large numbers of people are defecting from ebay, then I'd say the strike will have worked at least in part. These kinds of things don't always show immediate results, so we need to be patient.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 25, 2008, 09:26 PM »
EBay boycott winds down, but anger remains

Interesting article.  Of course, Ebay is going to say they didn't notice any impact - if they admitted this hurt them, it would drive people to do it again, but saying it did nothing makes people feel as though there's nothing we can do.  I'm not a big frequenter of Ebay, but I applaud those who are and avoided the site to make a point.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #374 on: February 27, 2008, 04:31 PM »
Ebay is also not talking about how bad the sell through rates were on the listings that were up there. They might have just squeaked by above the 12million listing mark but sales were down. I watched many items that are staples not sell like they usually do. I am continuing the strike until next week. The strike worked in many ways and all of which cannot be clearly seen in one week.

ioffer is growing but it's still quiet over there. May will bring the real awakening of anger come Feedback change time. It's gonna get ugly and it will become Fleebay. It's funny many non-ebayers have seemed hear about the strike and changes this week so the word of mouth is still out there. The reputation has been damaged further and that is something that's hard to get back.