Author Topic: Original Trilogy DVD Set: Where are You Getting It?  (Read 7717 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Original Trilogy DVD Set: Where are You Getting It?
« on: September 8, 2004, 02:18 PM »
With the DVD release less than 2 weeks away now, I was wondering where you guys are planning on picking it up.  Although there are more changes to the already "Special" editions, I am still pretty psyched to have my favorite movies of all time on DVD.  When the DVDs were first announced, I preordered them on Amazon for around $41ish, with free shipping.  At that time, I lived in a small town, and would have to drive quite a ways to pick them up.  I figured Amazon was the way to go.  Since then, we have moved to a city, where I could easily run to Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, etc. to pick it up if I wanted to.  I still have it on order through Amazon, but have considered cancelling it and just driving down that day.  I've never seen a Wal-Mart or Target "run out" of a DVD on release date, whether it is the prequel movies, Lord of the Rings, Spider-Man, or anything else that is quite popular...so I suppose supply shouldn't be a problem.  Anyways, have any of you ordered/preordered this set online, or are you just going to a store that day?  Just curious.
« Last Edit: September 8, 2004, 02:19 PM by mosnab »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Original Trilogy DVD Set: Where are You Getting It?
« Reply #1 on: September 8, 2004, 03:07 PM »
I'm thinking I'm going to wait and see what the promo goodies are, right now I think the R2 Beneath the Dome deal at Best Buy is what I leaning towards

Offline amarsella

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 8, 2004, 03:38 PM »
I'll be hitting the Best Buy Midnight Madness. Hopefully I can win one of the 3 prize packages their giving away. Each one includes the DVD's an X-BOX, SW Battlefront and the grand proze includes MR Vader lightsaber.

Should be fun.
Put on your old fur coat, it's 1973

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 8, 2004, 10:04 PM »
  I've never seen a Wal-Mart or Target "run out" of a DVD on release date, whether it is the prequel movies, Lord of the Rings, Spider-Man, or anything else that is quite popular...so I suppose supply shouldn't be a problem. 

I have.  A couple of Walmart's ran out of the LOTR-ROTK widescreen version before the first day was over.  Don't check often, but I have yet to see them restock it.  I picked mine up at 7:30 am, so no big deal to me.  But it can happen. 

I'm waiting on the promo deals as well, but have to wait to see if the packaging is bilingual or English only, preferring the latter.  I may have to have someone pick it up for me in the US (Jim?)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: September 9, 2004, 06:33 PM »
Sounds like somebody I know already found one...   ;)

SilverZ

« Reply #5 on: September 9, 2004, 08:54 PM »
You better believe it.  ;D Watching the docs on disc 4 and waiting for darkness so I can check out the flicks. I'll post some thoughts???  ::) in once I've digested it.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 12:29 PM »
I'm thinking I'm going to wait and see what the promo goodies are, right now I think the R2 Beneath the Dome deal at Best Buy is what I leaning towards

I'm way out of the loop on this, so what exactly do you get from Best Buy and what's the final price?
Beth

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 08:49 PM »
That Beneath the Dome SHOULD be a free item.  I saw it once.  It sucked major.  LOL!  Seriously.

Offline Stim

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 09:57 PM »
Anyone know how much Target/Best Buy/Wal-Mart gonna be charging for it? 

-Steve

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2004, 02:57 AM »
I've heard a rumor that Best Buy is going to have an exclusive bonus 5th disc with the purchase of the trilogy (similar to what they did for Indiana Jones), along with the R2-D2 beneath the dome dvd... anybody else hear that, or is my buddy just pulling my leg?

SilverZ

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2004, 05:53 PM »
That's the first I've ever heard of it. There would be a major outcry from the whiners at the DVDTalk and HTF Forums by now if that were true, so I'd like to think that's not the case..

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2004, 09:57 PM »
I heard the set would be $70? Can anyone confirm this? :-\
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2004, 01:22 AM »
Seems like Best Buy is throwing in a Special Edition Star Wars Insider Magazine when you buy the DVD box or SW:Battlefront from them.

SilverZ

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2004, 02:43 PM »
Fry's will have the set on sale for $36.99, Tuesday only.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2004, 09:58 PM »
I'll get at it Best Buy probably.