Author Topic: Pittsburgh's "Steel City Con" Toy & Collectible Show  (Read 67624 times)

Offline darth punkinhed

• Jedi Initiate
  • You did what? With who's cow? For a FF Weequay?
    • View Profile
Re: Pittsburgh's "Steel City Con" Toy & Collectible Show
« Reply #135 on: December 1, 2011, 06:21 PM »
Alas, I won't be able to make the trip this year. Car issues. I was really looking forward to this years December show too. Not to mention a usual trip on Friday nights to the Barley House a few of us dealers do. At least I think that's what the place is called called.
The most prized possession of my entire star wars collection is my Sega Trilogy Special Edition Pinball Machine.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #136 on: December 1, 2011, 08:02 PM »
We'll miss ya man! :(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #137 on: December 6, 2011, 01:48 PM »
Another fun toy show...

I probably spent the least ever, at this show, but that doesn't mean the selection was bad.  Just that prices were too high for me. 

There were tons of new figures though...  I saw all the latest Clone Wars and Vintage there, and the prices...  hoo boy.  ::)  Way out of what I think they'll get for the most part, especially with 90% of those figures returning in 2012 and a movie focus/vintage continuing.

The Clone Wars ones I think are more likely to hold value.

The WHite Boba Fett was the talk of the show...  If you want one perfect, I think it's a perfectly viable option to just plunk down the $40 and get it that way.  Guys that are getting solid cases of him are getting him minty mint, plus they're having you avoid the form/upc hastle.

If all you want is that proto fett, that makes a lot of sense, ultimately.

I picked up a few loose army builders and a show without me buying ASP7 is like a day without sunshine!

James hooked me up with a sweet WM Rebel Pilot set for cheap. :)

I think my deal of the day though, was getting Lego mini Bossk for my Bossk collection, and getting him basically for free.  That made me happy all weekend long.

By the way...  Henry Winkler...  INSANELY nice.  Guy was late Friday, came out and was shaking hands, and chatting up with everyone who was in line to see him.  Sunday he was being just as chatty and friendly with his fans.  Maybe the nicest celeb I've ever seen at the show.

The Star Wars celebs seemed really friendly and happy to talk about their experiences as well...

Dominic always puts on a good show, so I was happy to be there again.  Looking forward to the next one!

BWW dinner was better this time by the way.  Our first experience there, Diane and I weren't impressed, but Friday was pretty good.  It was great that James came out too...  We really should drag his ass to Primanti's though, at some point. :)  Though it's not like he's far and doesn't really know about it anyway I suppose, haha.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #138 on: February 15, 2012, 09:26 PM »
Pittsburgh's Steel City Con returns to the Monroeville Convention Center (minutes from downtown Pittsburgh) this March 2nd-4th!

The Star Wars guests include Billy Dee Williams, his son Corey (who played Klaatu, which I never knew), and Anthony Daniels on Saturday only!  That's a pretty decent Star Wars list!

The Hotel Room Block at the Doubletree is expiring so act soon to get the discounted rate.  It's a pretty nice hotel near the convention center, and puts you right in the heart of the area's dining and other features.

Also, Zombie fans, this will be one of the last times the Monroeville Mall will be laid out fairly similar to how it was in the original Dawn of the Dead...  Just thought I'd mention this since I know some folks like to stop by to check that out.  J.C. Penney where a lot of the action took place in the film, is being moved to a larger portion of the mall and things, so it won't look much like it used to before long. (not a convention thing I know, but it sort of draws folks in I've noticed, haha)

I'll be there, as well as PSWCS and 501st Legion's Garrison Carida.

I'll be wandering around some Friday and possibly other days, so I look forward to seeing any/all who attend.  Contact me privately here if you want to meet up and say hello, or possibly grab dinner after the show Friday with the other locals.  Always fun to have folks along from out of town!

Take care and see you there!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 09:26 PM by Jesse James »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #139 on: March 3, 2012, 01:01 AM »
Had fun at the show but didn't buy a lot...

Got two Rebel Honor Guards, a Saga Antilles (he's ok for cheap as a stand-in till Hasbro does a better Rebel Officer/Captain), another Death Star Gunner, and a POTJ Security Droid, all for $25.

Got an ASP-7 for $2, which keeps my streak of buying ASP-7 Droids at every Steel City Con going yet again.

Got an ASP-7 face and 2 Sandtrooper hovering droids for $1.

Didn't find cheap metal saber hilts but I'm not deterred.  Also never ever, ever, ever see BAD parts.  You'd think you'd see them, but no.

This show had a lot, but the prices weren't good and I'm not sure if I can make it back this weekend due to some obligations, but I had a good time.  James, wish we could have hung out man.

Modern is funny right now...  Some guys jumping ship on E1 figures like you wouldn't believe.  Prices super low...  Other guys thinking it's time to try and recoop their costs on that stuff that's now ancient, because they hope the movie I guess makes it worth more since it's back out in theaters.  I think the guys jumping ship are the smarter ones but that's just me.

Shocked to see people asking $5 or more for 2002 Saga figues.  That just perplexes me.  You can't give a lot of that away.

Saw almost nothing of Wave 11 Vintage stuff...  One guy had a complete set, and I think someone spilled water on them.  Weird though with all the sightings, but right now Pittsburgh doesn't seem to have much in the way of Wave 11 for anyone, even the dealers.

Oh, and WOW is the Starspeeder 1000 cool.  Saw one in person.  It's truly massive, and hopefully will be in my collection soon.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #140 on: July 2, 2012, 04:59 PM »
End of the month and it's baaaaaaaaack....

Steel City Con returns.  :)

Never left empty handed and don't plan to again, but I'm kind of curious to see what dealers are doing during a price gouging era like this, and shorted product.  Methinks lots of $30 vintage figures.

Offline darth punkinhed

• Jedi Initiate
  • You did what? With who's cow? For a FF Weequay?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 22, 2012, 01:56 PM »
Once again I won't be able to attend. Hopefully though we'll be back in December.
The most prized possession of my entire star wars collection is my Sega Trilogy Special Edition Pinball Machine.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #142 on: July 24, 2012, 06:14 PM »
Bumpity bump...  This weekend. :)

Sorry you can't make it Charlie...

I'm not sure when or how long I'm going to be at the show this weekend, but I will be there at some point Friday and possibly other days.  I'm not sure how buying will go this time though.  Money's tight all around, the hobby's insanely expensive anymore...  And dealers seem to think they can get the outside cent on every item they have on their table, no matter how old and worthless it is.

It'll be interesting to see how this show goes...  I may take a bag of stuff along with me to sell even.  I usually don't do that, but this time around I'm thinking I might.

Sounding like dinner after the show is on, as always.  No James report?  Where are ya man!?  Or are you prepping for C6 instead?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #143 on: July 31, 2012, 01:43 AM »
I'm frankly shocked at how much I bought at this show...  I kinda went ape**** and shouldn't have, but there were a ton of good deals on figures that are fetching decent cash.

It's kind of funny what's getting priced higher now, and what isn't though.  There was a lot of stuff that are good figures by today's standards even, from older lines (2006+) that were great prices...

Yet if you went to lines like 2002/2003 you were seeing stuff way overpriced IMO.  You couldn't give a lot of that away.  It's like one last grab before they know it's going to be outdone with new figures or something.

Saw similar with E1 figures last December.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #144 on: September 25, 2012, 09:20 PM »
Steel City Con returns December 7th, 8th, and 9th at the Monroeville Convention Center just minutes from downtown Pittsburgh.

Just announced in the last 12 hours or so is Peter Mayhew will be joining the already pretty long list of celebrity guests!  This is, I think, his 2nd appearance in Pittsburgh if I recall.  I know he was here once before a while back.  Nice guy to chat with too.

The December show is always the biggest so make plans and come hang out!  I'll be there probably one or two days that weekend, maybe all three.  Also I'm betting the PSWCS will be taking donations for their toy drive.

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #145 on: September 26, 2012, 01:58 PM »
Just migt see me waking around this sho as well!  ;)
Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #146 on: September 26, 2012, 02:35 PM »
Wait...  is that...  wait...

Is that a Rasquatch?  Get the camera Fryer!!!!!

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 5, 2012, 02:15 PM »
Haha, yeah, I slowed down for a few years...wanted to pay the house off, pay off the car off, no debt, stashsome funds away... blah blah...now I can kinda relax and enjoy life a bit.  Enjoy a few things, no pressures.

I had to step away...when I saw Hasbro just rehashing and going after the secondary market, I had to take a breather.  Got tired of seeing the prices creep up on an item like an AT-AT, then a few months later seeing yet ANOTHER AT-AT rehashed for $130.  Drives me nuts.

Still grab some of the misc. oddball items,fill in some hls in the cllection, and "reeeally good deals" evey now and then, kept up with the comics, and a few figs here and there.

Also, since when did figures become $10 a pop?  Seems like last night they were only $6ea.  Kinda makes the guys that go out and clear the shelves think twice.  If they put a run of 10 figs out it used to run you about $60, now it will run you about $100.  Won't see too many folks grabbing 3-4 of the same fig and wiping the selves clean I can tell you that!  Plus, add to it the price of gas and a little bit in taxes now if someone wanted  to try and resell individual figs...heck you gotta get at least $20-$25 a pop just to break even.  Hahaha!

$40+ tax for a 5 pack of Ewoks...wow.

Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #148 on: November 3, 2012, 06:07 PM »
Steel City Con is just over a month away!  Can't wait, as it's a pretty big show this go-round, as December often is "the big one". :)

http://www.pittsburghtoyshow.com/

Celebrity list was big right off the bat...

-Louis Gossett Jr.
-Elvira (schwing! Had a thing for her since I was a little kid...  I may actually be awe struck for once.)
-Sgt. Slaughter (hah!)
-Dwight Schultz
...and more!

And of course, Peter Mayhew will be there, and the 501st Garrison Carrida And PSWCS will be there taking toy donations (and the PSWCS will also be selling their 2012 Charity Medallion!), and have booths set up.

And, obviously I'll be there 2 or 3 days of the show as well if anyone's coming into the area and wants to get together.  Just PM me!

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 7, 2012, 04:34 PM »
I'm game!

I'm up for dinner Frday night.  Just let me know when and where! If the GF is up for it, I may bring her as well.

I'll be hitting the show on Sat. AM, and will be working the PA SW Collectors Society booth for a few hours.  Pimping some of the Yoda burn camp coins we have left.

It's nice not traveling all ver the freaking place..I can sit down and enjoy a few things finally.  This should be a fun show with the Disey excitement....lots to chat up.

Yes...Elvira...same.

Bob