Author Topic: Tsunami death toll tops 116,000  (Read 4836 times)

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Tsunami death toll tops 116,000
« on: December 30, 2004, 02:51 PM »
This news that the death toll continues to rise is absolutely horrific.  Being a father of two boys 12 & 8, I cannot fathom having to loose them in this way.

My prayers are with the families that have lost loved ones in this event.

To visualize how bad is bad you can see photos here.

Donations can be made here.

For me this puts collecting back into perspective.  A nice hobby that I am fortunate to even have the money to spend on.

What are your thoughts?

DBK

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Tsunami death toll tops 116,000
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 04:20 PM »
Unbelievable really. I first saw this about 4am on Dec 26th  when my newborn woke up to be fed.  I flipped on the tube and some news station was reporting a few hundred dead from a tsunami caused by and earthquake.  I thought to myself "Wow!  Several hundred dead from a tidal wave?  That's  a lot of dead people." 

Now to see the death toll climb past 116,000 is just too much to comprehend.  All that from water.  Truly amazing and tragic.  One of the worst things I have ever heard of in my 30 years. 

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 04:20 PM »
Yeah, absolutely mindboggling the devastation and loss of life out there.  I've been meaning to toss a post in here about it the past day, but it keeps slipping my mind, so thanks for the mention Matt.

I still have a number of casual acquaintances in Thailand, but I think they're mostly inland, around Bangkok.  But prayers and support go out to all the countries and people affected by this natural disaster.  Unfortunately, that number's going to just keep getting higher and higher over the weeks to come.  Very sad...   :-\

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 05:44 PM »
Unbelievable that something like this could happen.  My wife's friend teaches English in Thailand and we were worried about her for a while.  But I guess she was on Vacation in Europe over the Holidays.

Words can not describe the grief and suffering these people are feeling...

I saw this and started crying.  So sad...and we decided to give some money to the Red Cross.  I hope that by doing so someone out there gets some relief and you're right Matt, just like 9/11 something like this totally makes you rethink what you're doing in life, the family, collecting everything.  Over 100,000 people is almost unfathomable

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 06:32 PM »
I still can't get that death toll out of my mind exspecially when there are tens of thousands missing still it seems, 2,000 to 3,000 american alone.  When I heard about the Earthqauke Sunday morning I was in shock since the news was reporting it as the world largest earthquake every recorded, then.  After I got back from work the news started talking about all of the deaths from the Tsunami.  I just hope that those people who died didn't suffer and that their bodies will be recovered so they love ones can have a little knowledge of what happened and won't have to wonder what happened to they love ones that went missing. 
One thing I'm grateful for is that the earthquake wasn't around Japan or Alaska or it could of being a lot harder for us here on the West Coast.  It seems like alot of famous people where in the path of this thing too, I heard Jet Li had to save his daughter, Oprah's Interior Designer Guest person and some others as will. 
RIP victims of Tsunami.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 08:39 PM »
There isn't even anything that can be said - I can't believe any of this is real.

The estimated death toll has risen to over 125,000 - just in the time that this thread has been around, 9,000 more confirmed dead. 

How horrible.

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2004, 09:06 PM »
I was born in Sri Lanka and seeing my homeland destroyed like this is horrible.
My family that is still there luckily have all been accounted for, although one of mums cousins they still haven't heard from so they are still hopefull to hear from them soon although the longer it goes the worse the result will probably be.
I've tried to shut myself out from this now, it just makes me cry everytime i hear about parents losing kids, especially when the kids are the age of mine, i had to hug my kids and just held em tight my eldest saw me crying and just said it's ok dad don't worry, if only he could understand what happened,  actually i'm glad that he can't, now when it's time for the news i just put on a tape or dvd for the kids.
I don't want to see tis anymore it just leaves me feeling empty inside.
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2004, 09:49 PM »
This is indeed a sad event. I didn't hear about it until Monday, and I was just kinda like "Wow...". Unfortunately for the survivors, there will probably be an outbreak of diseases over there. My condolences go to the families of victims.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2004, 09:54 PM »
My prayers go out to those affected.  It's unreal how many have been confirmed dead and it will get worse.  Disease will most likely spread like wildfire.  Hopefully the rest of the world steps up and does what it can to help.  I heard the best thing to do is donate money.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2004, 10:27 PM »
I work with a guy who's from Sri Lanka - he tells me his father's beach-house was destroyed - but fortunately for him his family is accounted for.  Talking to him for 3 minutes yesterday made this whole thing seem 10 times more real - and less like a media extravaganza.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2004, 10:41 PM »
I just read that there could be up to 500,000 dead :-\

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2004, 11:05 PM »
Also, my thoughts go out to you Hemish and your family back home.  I just cannot imagine what is happening over there

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2004, 11:21 PM »
It's unbelieveable.

I'm sure it's going to be much worse as the days go by, with that much to clean up, I'd imagine there's going to be thousands more.
Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2004, 05:18 AM »
Sadly I think you're right Bob.  Disease being the biggest looming threat, and now panics of more tsunamis because of increased seismic activity.

Truly terrible, and not much more to add to it than that from my end of things.  I just hope everyone can be as safe as they can and as many happy stories can come out of this now as are possible.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Killer185

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2004, 10:47 AM »
This is a horrible event, more than likely the worst to date in our life times.  :'(
"Lose it? I didn't lose it. It's not like, "Whoops! Where'd my job go?" I QUIT. Someone pass me the asparagus. " - Lester Burnham, American Beauty