Author Topic: AT-RT - the walker army-builder  (Read 24659 times)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: AT-RT - the walker army-builder
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2005, 10:15 AM »
Isn't there a Turbo Tank Driver that is basically the same figure?  I know it's green at least like this guy. 

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2005, 10:18 AM »
It will be a shame if the pilot has no articulation. Even at least knee joints would make the figure better, so he could stand up straight when he's not sitting on the walker.

You know what though - it looks like between AOTC and ROTS - there has been a split in armor/uniform for the Clone Pilots. The flying vehicle pilots look like the new "Clone Pilot" vehicle we're getting and the ground vehicle pilots look like the "Turbo Tank Driver" figure we're getting - so I wouldn't be worried just yet - granted I took only a quick look just now, but the AT-RT driver figure and the Turbo Tank Driver figure look like the same armor and coloring and if that's the case, based on the gate-fold in the latest insider, there looks to be plenty of articulation in the Turbo Tank Driver figure.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2005, 10:25 AM »
Yeah, they look pretty close to the same to me too...

Slight variations in shades of green, but that could be due to the lighting in each of the pictures...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2005, 10:53 AM »
I thought they looked pretty similar as well.  Still not sure how I feel about the "green" troopers, but they might be pretty cool on screen.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2005, 11:09 AM »
I kinda wish they were white... the main reason being that now the ROTJ Imperials on Endor seem like they should have been in camo.

:P

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2005, 11:15 AM »
I kinda wish they were white... the main reason being that now the ROTJ Imperials on Endor seem like they should have been in camo.

Don't worry, I'm sure the Biker Scouts we all love will be digitally altered to look like these guys for that super-special 3-D edition of the trilogy in 2007...  >:(  :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2005, 11:35 AM »

Actually, the lack of camo deco on the Biker Scouts CAN be explained (albeit with a pretty thin explanation)....

During the time of the Clone Wars, the Republic is fighting for its existence they will be employing any tactic necessary to give their troops the edge in combat and if giving camo-deco to troopers helps them sneak up on droids in dense forest worlds, then give them camoflaged armor.

However, by the time the OT comes around, the Republic has turned into the Empire and the Empire has been going strong for close to twenty years. There's no need to have your troops worry about fighting another army on the scale of the CIS -- your ONLY problem are those pesky rebels, a movement which you are sure will eventually be squashed and "Fear will keep the systems in line".

At least that's how I rationalize the difference. The Grand Army of the Republic = fighting for their lives and Soliders of the Empire = strike fear into the hearts of the masses and NO ONE will challenge you.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2005, 11:54 AM »
I agree, that rational had occured to me too, and is what I will tell my uninformed friends when they ask. 

Still though, it would only make sense in real life to have them in camo for certain environments.  Oh well though, it's all good.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2005, 05:23 PM »
EU, I'm going to make a bet, will say that the green "camo" is something Clones do to themselves more than the Republic issues.  Like the colors by unit designation now, the Clones will also take a hint and green up in a forest environment if it's to their benefit...

The reason then they won't in the Empire is individualism is frowned upon.  All uniform, all alike...  Little to show rank, and even then when it is worn it's minimal.

That's what I'm assuming the change is, and I'd wager EU goes that route too, but we'll see.  The Clones show budding individualism, and the Empire squashes it in its troops (recruits or otherwise).
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2005, 07:41 PM »
The thing that has always bugged me about the whole Clone armor thing in the prequels as opposed to the OT armor is not so much the camo or the different "battle gear" (such as the ARCs or the jet packs), but more the sudden appearance of rank delineation with the color stripes and whatnot.

In the OT, we had Stormtroopers.  As Randal Graves once said, "Killing in white uniforms" and they knew nothing about installing toilet mains.  There were different subsets of soldiers for special weather conditions (Sandtroopers, TIE Pilots, AT-AT Drivers, Snowtroopers, and Biker Scouts), but all of their armor was identical (well, the Sandies' pauldrons were ranked, so there's strike one on my theory).  My point is, that within the normal ST ranks, there was no delineation of rank shown by their uniforms.  It was all generic and the whole "faceless" nature of the Imperial infantry was much more pronounced.

Now, the prequels roll around (or we find out the ST origins; however you like to put it) and we've got Yellow, Red, Green, and Blue stripes to delineate rank in AOTC, then we've got full blown color schemes (those blue guys that are following Anakin in the trailer) and again, multiple rank designations.  It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me; even if you're a mindless automaton, doesn't the chain of command theory still hold true?  I envision these grand Stormtrooper arguments aboard a Star Destroyer like the ant farm on the "Deep Space Homer" episode of "The Simpsons:"

"PROTECT THE COMMANDER!"
"Which one's the commander?"
"I'M THE COMMANDER!"
"No you're not!"
"Yes, I am!"

Of course, my own personal theory is that in addition to this posthypnotic thingy that Palpatine pulls on the Clones to have them turn eeeeeevil, it also somehow eradicates any individuality they may have developed during the Clone Wars, and a rather unfortunate side effect is that they are now all completely cross-eyed and cannot shoot straight.  Kind of like a giant "DURRRRRR!" button that Palpatine can push or something and keep them in line.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2005, 08:23 AM »
I know the color thing is kind of funny really.  I like it now.  However, I thought they just painted the clones, battle droids, etc to sell toys.  Then again if they did that you think Lucas would make all sort of different colored lightsabers for the Jedi.  But he stuck with blue, green, red and 1 purple blade for Windu. 

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2005, 11:14 AM »
I kinda thought that shoulder pauldrons would have been better on the Clone Troopers, but what the hell do I know.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2005, 02:36 PM »
I know the color thing is kind of funny really.  I like it now.  However, I thought they just painted the clones, battle droids, etc to sell toys.  Then again if they did that you think Lucas would make all sort of different colored lightsabers for the Jedi.  But he stuck with blue, green, red and 1 purple blade for Windu. 

There's you false sense of continuity.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 6, 2005, 09:15 AM »
So, is this consistently a tough find for everyone out there?  I went to TRU yesterday, because I saw a couple of these there last Saturday...but passed at the time because I felt I had spent too much, and now of course, they are gone.  I really need to learn the lesson to just buy it if I see it, unless I really don't have the money :).  Anyways, I'm sure (hopefully) we will see these down the road again, at other retailers, but for now our TRU is the only one that had any at all (and only 2-3 of them at that).  Otherwise, there seems to be PLENTY of Bogas and BARCs to go around :).

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 6, 2005, 09:35 AM »
I put batteries in mine and it walks in circles....so I took the batteries out.  Now it stands in a straight line.