Author Topic: JD Fantasy Baseball 2005  (Read 87761 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: JD Fantasy Baseball 2005
« Reply #645 on: July 10, 2005, 10:23 PM »

Those SP/RP guys are infinitely more valuable than my first pick, Randy Johnson, good season or not.  I would have taken one of the better SP/RP guys ahead of him, no doubt about it.

No you would not have.  There are currently 5 in baseball right now.  Miguel Batista was named closer 2 weeks into the season.  Ryan Dempster about late May.  Derek Turnbow and Dustin Hermanson about 2-3 weeks into the season after auditioning with the existing closers.  And just recently, Famine grabbed Matt Belisle who was named closer after Graves left.

You would have drafted exactly zero SP/RP players.

From what I could tell based on the drafting list, Dressel is right.  I probably would not have altered my strategy.  I can't tell any longer whether the SP/RP listings were there during the draft, but without knowing those scoring subtelties, I would not have made the change. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: July 10, 2005, 10:36 PM »
What I would have done if I'd realized their worth, is wait until the first one went off the board and then make my next pick or two SP,RP players.  As it stands, I think most of them went in free-agency, which means that either no one realized their value until after the draft (highly unlikely) or the the person or persons who appreciated their worth knew that most of the rest of the league did not.

This won't be an issue for anyone next season because the scoring will probably be different, and more people will be aware of it if it's not before hand.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: July 10, 2005, 11:05 PM »
As it stands, I think most of them (SP/RPs) went in free-agency

All went in free agency.

Which means that either no one realized their value until after the draft (highly unlikely) or the the person or persons who appreciated their worth knew that most of the rest of the league did not.

Actually neither explanation is correct.  All 5 SP/RPs currently present on league rosters were named team closer 2-3 months after the draft.  They had no value at the time of the draft, they only became valuable as they became named team closer.  Dustin Hermanson, for example, was named closer after a 3 week fight with Shingo Takatsu who saved 8 games before he lost his job to Hermanson.  The other 4 SP/RPs have similar stories.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 11:06 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: July 11, 2005, 12:34 AM »
Fair enough, that's the timeline.  It still doesn't change the fact that most of us had no idea that a SP who suddenly becomes an RP and can still be plugged into a SP slot is a valuable valuable thing to have - and now we all know it.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: July 11, 2005, 09:33 AM »
Fair enough, that's the timeline.  It still doesn't change the fact that most of us had no idea that a SP who suddenly becomes an RP and can still be plugged into a SP slot is a valuable valuable thing to have - and now we all know it.

Nobody sent Scott and I a letter either.  We figured it out.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: July 11, 2005, 10:31 AM »
From what I heard, you figured it out last season.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #651 on: July 11, 2005, 05:14 PM »
I've been well aware of their worth for at least a decade now.  You're all just a bunch of slow idiots...  Even Scott and Matt.

You're just lucky I don't play in these leagues, or I would've completely skunked every last one of you.  Badly.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: July 11, 2005, 08:02 PM »
I've been well aware of their worth for at least a decade now.  You're all just a bunch of slow idiots...  Even Scott and Matt.

You're just lucky I don't play in these leagues, or I would've completely skunked every last one of you.  Badly.

The invite, much like the past 2 years, is open to you for next year, chief.

:D

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: July 14, 2005, 06:34 PM »
Kevin, why in the hell did you accept that lopsided trade?

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: July 14, 2005, 06:55 PM »
Kevin, why in the hell did you accept that lopsided trade?

::)

Shouldn't you be watching the fictional Karl Rove coverage on CNN or something?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: July 14, 2005, 07:26 PM »
No - and you've now brought him up twice with me.  You seem awfully worried about good old Karl.

Meanwhile, you got mid to upper level players from Kevin who are each going to finish the season with around 30 homeruns in exchange for a pair of busts and a so-so pitcher who was a free agent 3 weeks ago.

But whatever - I guess that's why you're the supreme champion of fantasy baseball.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 07:28 PM by Kneel Before Zod »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: July 14, 2005, 08:04 PM »
No - and you've now brought him up twice with me.  You seem awfully worried about good old Karl.

Meanwhile, you got mid to upper level players from Kevin who are each going to finish the season with around 30 homeruns in exchange for a pair of busts and a so-so pitcher who was a free agent 3 weeks ago.

But whatever - I guess that's why you're the supreme champion of fantasy baseball.

I'm not at all worried about Karl, I'm just amused with "you people".  What your peeps are doing right now is going to result in a hill of beans, except maybe Wilson and the NY Times getting in trouble.  You can put the "I know the future" tag on that one too, it works well for me when you do that   :D

And about the trade, we'll see at the end of the year.  Helton and Rolen could be poised for huge 2nd halfs, Helton was hot to the touch going into the all star break.  After all, I sent my 2nd and 3rd picks of the draft over for Matsui who was his 4th and 2 free agents.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: July 14, 2005, 09:13 PM »
What is this "you people" **** Dressel.  I never mentioned Karl Rove once to you or anyone else.  Now drop it or I'll be the one to put the padlock on this thread.

Back to baseball, maybe Kevin will give me Cliff Floyd for Jim Thome, after all Jim Thome was great last year.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: July 14, 2005, 09:22 PM »
What is this "you people" **** Dressel.  I never mentioned Karl Rove once to you or anyone else.  Now drop it or I'll be the one to put the padlock on this thread.

Whooooo!!!  What's up Zod?  You can say something to antagonize me in this thread about my "lopsided" trade, and I can't raz you a little back?  Go ahead and lock it, I don't give a damn.

Back to baseball, maybe Kevin will give me Cliff Floyd for Jim Thome, after all Jim Thome was great last year.

Back to baseball, I think that'd be a fair trade, except Jim Thome is on the DL after trying to play through thumb ligament injuries all year.  But if Thome weren't injured and just had a subpar first half, I'd give you Floyd for Thome with no hesitation.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: July 14, 2005, 09:35 PM »
Fair nuff.

Let's just try to leave politics out of fantasy baseball.