Author Topic: ROTS - Battle Arena Assortment.  (Read 3826 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: ROTS - Battle Arena Assortment.
« Reply #15 on: March 4, 2005, 03:18 AM »
I'm sure I'll wander into TRU after my third viewing of ROTS and pick these up since I'll have pretty much everything else.
I'm kind of an overeager consumer like that.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2005, 02:27 PM »
I remember seeing an episode of the "Clerks" cartoon once where the guys from "Kids in the Hall" played "freaks" and said something that describes my feelings on these Battle Arenas after seeing the photos of the Sidious vs. Mace set loose at RS:

"Yipes.  Just yipes."

The static action poses of the initial 2002 Saga Collection 2 Jedi have not died, my friends, they have merely found a new home in a much more overpriced area.  And I love how the usually thorough RS archive photography is slim to none on these figures, with most of the few shots they have emphasizing packaging and the base and very little being done to show the actual figures (2 shots each).

See you on clearance for sure, Battle Arenas!  ::)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2005, 04:55 PM »
I'm starting to think that these may be something that I'll get ONE each of in MIB condition and then wait for the clearance to get my openers.

The only set that appeals to me really is the Mace Windu vs. Palpatine. The Anakin vs. Dooku and Obi-Wan vs. MagnaGuard are both so-so.

Since you can put four of these together to form a circle, I think they should have sold them simply as single figures with bases. Then you can mix-and-match as you wish.

The one "nice" thing about these sets is the disks that the figures stand on - it looks to me like there is a static peg with a clip to hold the figure in place and then the second peg is on a small wheel that turns allowing you to set the distance between the pegs to match the stance of the figure you want to use - that way the bases truly are compatible with most figures.

It would be neat, if after these go on clearance to get a second Mace/Palpatine set and form the circle and put in the basic figures of Kit Fisto, Agen Kolar and Saesee Tinn to recreate Palpatine mowing them down.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #18 on: April 3, 2005, 12:25 AM »
Saw (but didn't buy) Mace & Palps and Ani & Dooku today. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by the Palps. I'll definitely be getting this one. I only glanced at the other set, but I think it's worth a second look since the rest of the Anakins all look kinda funky in one way or another.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2005, 05:09 PM »
Found the Obi-Wan vs. MagnaGuard Battle Arena this morning at TRU - so now I can rest easy since I have all three.

Kinda like the bodyguard fig in this set better than the individually carded one - the Obi-Wan ain't half bad either - too bad he's a pre-posed statue figure....

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2005, 05:26 PM »
Cool - glad to see that the Obi Wan one is out.  I'm gonna get two of those sets... I think the Magna Guard in that sets looks awesome... got any pics?

:P

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2005, 06:14 PM »
Cool - glad to see that the Obi Wan one is out.  I'm gonna get two of those sets... I think the Magna Guard in that sets looks awesome... got any pics?

:P

This week has been kicking my ass every which way - where I got these was the only store I hit today - which is ODD for me and the only reason I stopped there was because I was already heading to work late (had to bring my wife to the airport this morning), the store was open, the Hasbro rep was there and it's on the direct path to where I work - 5 minutes detour in TRU wouldn't hurt...

If I have time tonight, I'll snap some pics and post 'em, otherwise it might not be until tomorrow...
Peter