Author Topic: 2005 DVD Thread  (Read 71629 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: 2005 DVD Thread
« Reply #345 on: October 31, 2005, 03:57 PM »
I still don't see (aside from the obvious "it makes us more money" standpoint) why they did seperate releases like this, where most major movies (for example: ROTS tomorrow) just have the two disc set as their normal release. 

This wasn't the first time a studio's released two different versions of a flick on the same day.  THX-1138 and Life Aquatic come to mind, and I know there've been a bunch more--and I think Charlie and the Chocolate Factory will be another one, next week.

I don't know that there's a real "reason" for it, other than they just want to test the viability of separate releases, and to see just how much more people would be willing to spend for bonus features.

It's an interesting strategy, but I don't like it, and hope it doesn't continue.  I didn't mind too much this time, because I was able to snag the Deluxe for about $16 (same as I would have paid for the single disc), but who's to say that there won't be some other situation where the deluxe version of a film is $25 or $30, or even more.

And it could have been worse--they could have released the single-disc now, got everybody to buy it, and then sprung the Deluxe set on everybody afterward.  In that sense, this was kind of nice, as it was everyone's choice as to which version they bought.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 31, 2005, 04:13 PM »
And it could have been worse--they could have released the single-disc now, got everybody to buy it, and then sprung the Deluxe set on everybody afterward.  In that sense, this was kind of nice, as it was everyone's choice as to which version they bought.

That's a great point.  Its not that I'm complaining, because I should have just bought the Deluxe version when I saw it at Wal-Mart for $25.  At the time it was going for $16 on Amazon, so I figured it should be closer to that price at retail.  I was wrong, and I missed my chance.  No big deal I guess.  Like you mentioned, I was looking on Amazon and it looks like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and War of the Worlds are both doing the same thing.  Single disc releases and "Deluxe" versions.  I'm not a big fan of this trend either, because while I really do enjoy the extras on discs like these, I'm not sure how much more I want to pay for them.  $20 maybe, $25-$30 might be pushing it for me.

SilverZ

« Reply #347 on: October 31, 2005, 04:47 PM »
Anyone springin' for that "Office Space - Extra Special Edition" boxed set with all the goodies? The Lebowski set was discontinued after it's first week, so when it's gone, it's gone, and I fear this will be the same. For $23, it's loaded. Of course, it's another Best Buy exclusive.

I'm bowing out of the box for this, the same as I did on Lebowski. I'd prefer extra content on the discs themselves. When there's nothing in the set that isn't directly related to the movie, I've decided I don't need it.

I need a Lebowski coasters as much as I needed Showgirls shot glasses. I just don't get much enjoyment out of that stuff. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 31, 2005, 04:52 PM »
Any word on whether or not the Office Space DVD is an extended cut or is it just a bunch of office supplies and some deleted scenes in the bonus section?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #349 on: October 31, 2005, 05:04 PM »
Theatrical cut.  Deleted scenes are separate.

Good thing, too--that movie really loses steam halfway through, when the money-laundering scheme kicks in.  Doesn't need to be any longer than it already is.

(looks up "money laundering" in the dictionary)
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: October 31, 2005, 07:58 PM »
You just saved me 12.99 - thanks.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 31, 2005, 08:14 PM »
Okay, who is as excited as myself that this is finally being released on DVD next month?

The great thing about this DVD is that DSOTM is played in its entirety.

Now if only Delicate Sound of Thunder could be released as well.
« Last Edit: November 1, 2005, 07:46 AM by Jim (Rebeltrader) »

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 1, 2005, 02:01 AM »
Okay, who is as excited as myself that this is finally being released on DVD next month?

Now that would be enjoyable to watch.   8)
« Last Edit: November 1, 2005, 02:01 AM by JesseVader08 »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 1, 2005, 03:59 AM »
There can be only one.  ;)

And for us that are north.  :P

Hmmm, Pink Floyd. I'll have to check that out.  8)

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 1, 2005, 11:19 AM »
Theatrical cut.  Deleted scenes are separate.

But an Anamorphic transfer..which is why I'm biting.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #355 on: November 1, 2005, 12:58 PM »
Bear with me, folks, I'm gonna respond to a bunch of random **** here:

So, has anyone swung by Wal Mart lately and stumble across "Fletch" for $4.88? I've had my copy for a while, got it cheap, but wouldn't mind a minty fresh one.

Found one last night while picking up Star Wars.  Then I rushed right out this morning to put it in my safety deposit box.  Twenty years from now, I'm gonna use it to put my kids through school.

---

Re: Begins Deluxe

Found some of the Deluxe sets sans slipcase and mini-comic today at a Best Buy while picking up. . .

---

Re: Office Space: Two Chicks at the Same Time Edition

But an Anamorphic transfer..which is why I'm biting.

Right, and it's the main reason I'm biting, too, but he was asking what cut of the movie was on the disc.

---

Star Wars:

Those of you planning on getting the bonus disc two-pack at Wal-Mart may want to pick up some Goo Gone while you're at it.  The boneheads put the sticker advertising the bonus disc directly on the bonus disc keepcase, and the bonus disc isn't shrink-wrapped, so unless you're really careful, you'll get sticker residue all over the front of the bonus disc.

---

Star Wars DVD stuff:

Those looking for the new, Episode I CGI Yoda footage, check out the "Chosen One" featurette in the documentaries section on Disc 2.  It's about five minutes in, just a quick clip of the "fear leads to anger" speech.  Looks good.  Definitely a nice little "Episode I SE is coming" bone for us fans.

Dancing Yoda is funny, I guess, but still not as good as a gag reel. 

---

And the nominee for most-misleading product of 2005 is. . .

Target will also apparently be getting an exclusive, two-disc CD package, featuring the "best music of the entire Saga," for $14.99. 

No word yet on the track-listing.

I was thinking about making my own two-disc set, with the first disc being Prequel music, and original music on the second.  If this set is done that way, I'll probably pick that up instead.

Went to one Target this morning to check out this CD, and just saw a bunch of Sith soundtracks where this new set was supposed to be.  Went to another Target, saw the same thing, and thought that was odd, so I picked one up and saw that this "exclusive" CD was just shrink-wrapped to the back of the regular CD.  No track-listing or anything, just a sticker that said something to the effect of "over 50 minutes of the best music of the Saga." 

Pretty lame stuff.  I was kind of glad I didn't "have" to buy it, but would have liked to see a nice two-disc set with one disc prequel music and the other disc original music, with new packaging and all that.  Guess I'll have to make my own after all.

Still though, it's the Sith soundtrack, the Musical Journey DVD, and the best-of CD, all for about fifteen bucks or so.  Great deal if you don't already have the soundtrack.
« Last Edit: November 1, 2005, 12:59 PM by Bill Cosby »

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #356 on: November 1, 2005, 01:09 PM »
So, the Wal Mart Bonus DVD.  Is there anything on there to make me regret not buying it?
Got Clones?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #357 on: November 1, 2005, 01:20 PM »
Nope.  That bonus disc sucks.  Doesn't suck as much as a lithograph or coin, but it's still pretty lame.

It's basically Artoo and Threepio, on a goofy, generic sci-fi set, with Threepio narrating along to various pan-and-scan clips from the films.  About thirty minutes for Episodes I and II, and about thirty minutes for IV, V, and VI.  This was done before Sith, so there's no Sith footage at all.

It's one of those things that you'd watch once (if you could get through it all--I couldn't), and put on your shelf, never to watch again.

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #358 on: November 1, 2005, 01:25 PM »
Well then I'll be content with my crappy coin.

;D
Got Clones?

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 1, 2005, 01:27 PM »
Re: Office Space Gift Set

Yeah, loaded with a bunch of useless junk.  I'll get the gift set, 'cause I'm a sucker for things like that, but the disc itself is a major disappointment.  Where's the commentary?  Where are the Milton shorts?  It's nice to finally have an anamorphic transfer of this, and the extras that are on there are nice, but considering the following this film has, this disc is a disappointment.

With out giving too much public details on where this info comes from, I know why this special edition came out the way it did.

Basically, if it's not common knowledge, Judge has a really bad taste is his mouth from working with Fox and was doing everything in his power to undermine what they wanted. The Milton shorts are not included because he never liked them in the first place and he just plain refused to do a commentary because, well,  Fox wanted one.

Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."