Author Topic: Weird Al Fan Club!  (Read 5909 times)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Weird Al Fan Club!
« on: June 20, 2003, 07:46 PM »
Anyone a fan of Weird Al's latest?

Im listenin to angry whitey polka right now.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Poodle Hat
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2003, 08:00 PM »
Getting to a Best Buy for me is non-existant, so I've not picked it up yet, but while I don't buy many CD's anymore I will DEFINATELY be getting PH as soon as I can drag myself into a BB.

I'm just lazy I guess...  I've downloaded a song or two though and they're classic Al.  There's a guy that doesn't lose a step...  Thank god SOMEONE can stay consistently good.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2003, 08:06 PM »
Weird Al's actually one of our clients, oddly enough.  We've done several audits for him.  Even got to go check him out several years ago at one of his concerts here in L.A. (on his dime) - great seats and back stage passes to hang out with him after the show and everything!   8)  What made it extra cool, was that it was just a month or two before the premiere of Ep. 1, and he was singing his The Saga Begins song (parody of "American Pie" by Don McLean), and wouldn't you know it, young Jake Lloyd wanders out on stage and sings along with him for the last half of the song.  Very cool!

I know that JoshEEE is a very big fan of his as well...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2003, 08:15 PM »
That's definately a cool story Matt.  I see there's some fringe benefits to your job!  

I've got my tickets to his concert here in Pitt, wanna hook me up with backstage passes?  ;D  j/k

It'd be great to meet him though...  They say he's one interesting person to talk to, and one of the more intelligent people to have a discussion with.  I could imagine that being completely true, and I somehow can't picture him being someone who wouldn't fraternize with the fans regularly.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Re: Poodle Hat
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2003, 08:22 PM »
I've got my tickets to his concert here in Pitt, wanna hook me up with backstage passes?  ;D  j/k

I could try...  When's his Pitt concert?

Unfortunately for us, Weird Al is one of the very few artists that that we do work for who really goes out of his way to thank us for our hard work.  Usually it's just "Thanks for my couple million bucks.  See ya'!"   ::)

I didn't chat with him for too long, but for the 5 minutes or so, he was a very cool, and genuine fella.  I've got a nice picture of us together, so when I finally get a scanner, I'll put it up in here.  I'm not even wearing my "famous sweater" in it either...   :P
« Last Edit: June 20, 2003, 08:30 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2003, 08:50 PM »
Hey Matt,

July 25th is the concert...  Of course if it's a problem at all don't tax yourself with it, but if getting passes is really easy that would simply rock all!  That would definately be appreciated. :)

Thanks for the offer if nothing else...  I can't wait to tell my friends that I know Weird Al's auditor who can get backstage passes, haha...  The one guy going with us is a HUGE Weird Al fan from way back too, he'd just find the story interesting if nothing else. :)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2003, 11:25 PM »
Hey Matt,

July 25th is the concert...  Of course if it's a problem at all don't tax yourself with it, but if getting passes is really easy that would simply rock all!  That would definately be appreciated. :)

Well, I'm not sure it'll be easy, or actually happen, but it's definitely worth a shot!  I'll try to hit up that partner who manages his audits and see if I can work something out.  I'd be surprised if it actually happened, but it would be pretty cool on the off chance that it did!  I'll keep you posted J...   ;)

Maybe you'd settle for a copy of one of his audit reports?  Signed by one of his auditors, no less...   ;D

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2003, 03:31 AM »
haha, hey, I don't mind...

I just think it's funny you actually have the ability to get them sometimes.  :)  Either way no problem.  If you get them though, that would rock all...  His concerts are legendary though so I'll have fun either way.

Thanks for offering to try Matt, it's appreciated.

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2003, 04:41 PM »

Poodle Hat is a great album, and I highly recommend you go pick it up. It's got some good parodies of Eminem and Nelly. The Avril Lavigne, Backstreet Boys and Billy Joel songs are excellent. The polka medley is comprised of just about every Alt-rock band on the charts last year and this year, and the originals are great too. Track 2, "Hardware Store" is among my favorite Weird Al songs of all time already. There are also some style parodies of both Prince and Bob Dylan. I think this album will please both the casual and die hard Weird Al fans out there, and is definitely worth your 15 bucks.

By the way...if you BUY it, instead of downloading it....you'll get 8 alternate tracks which are remixes, instrumentals and vocal mixes of the original tracks on the album. VERY fun for Karoake. Plus you get some Home movies of Al's childhood, which he changes around with his narration.

And Matt...I am SO jealous. That's AWESOME. I've been to dozens of concerts, but never scored the elusive backstage passes. I did manage to meet him a few times outside the shows and get autographs, but it's always been in a crowd of autograph and picture seekers.

So...don't forget to ask his people for tickets for me at the Seattle leg of the tour too.....Hehehe. (Yeah Right).

Either way, I've got my tickets and I'm headed there in September. So far, his only date anywhere near Seattle is a fair 60 miles south of here. The grandstand tickets are free with fair admission, or you can buy the closer ones (which of course I did).  Weird Al concerts are definitely my favorite concerts out of any artist I go see. I'd go so far as to trade Weird Al tickets for Pearl Jam (or any other lesser artist) tickets in a heartbeat.

One year, we followed his band around on tour like they were the Dead (I think I saw them 9 times that year).

So, in summary....while my opinion may be biased, I highly recommend Poodle Hat to all of you.

GO BUY IT!
Got Clones?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2003, 04:56 PM »
I caught Al on The Simpsons last night, it was a great episode which I had not seen yet.  "Did you get those parodies I sent you?"

I was huge into Al back around the Fat era, I kind of moved on but have always felt he was comic genius and immensly enjoyed the Saga Begins

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2003, 05:13 PM »
If you liked the Saga Begins, you'll probably love his new parody of Billy Joel's piano man, which gives the same treatment to the Spider Man movie.

It was great to hear him FINALLY do a Billy Joel song.  :)
Got Clones?

Offline P'dubs

• Jedi Initiate
  • Bow to the might that is the Sith.............
    • View Profile
Yankovics parents found Dead.
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2004, 01:44 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/04/11/yankovic.parents.ap/index.html

Just read about it, sucks to go out like that.

Al found out I guess right after/during a concert.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 03:08 PM by P'dubs »
"They were all around me and they kept on saying "Utini Utini"."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Yankovics Dead.
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2004, 02:15 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/04/11/yankovic.parents.ap/index.html

Just read about it, sucks to go out like that.

Al found out I guess right after/during a concert.

You might think about changing the title of this thread--lest anyone think that "Weird Al" himself is dead, and freak out. . .
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2004, 02:38 PM »
Oh thank God Al's okay.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline BobaShek

• Jedi Initiate
  • OT Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2004, 04:24 PM »
You might think about changing the title of this thread--lest anyone think that "Weird Al" himself is dead, and freak out. . .

Ha, too late. :P

Poor Al, though... :-\