Author Topic: Who actually exercises, and how?  (Read 21657 times)

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
Re: Who actually exercises, and how?
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2010, 07:21 PM »
I try to work out on a daily basis, but like you I kind of let that go a while back when the boys were born.  Now that they are older and sleeping in in the morning, I've gotten back to the routine of cardio and weights in the morning before work.  I've had two reconstructive knee surgeries due to sports related injuries, so I'm not able to run or play competative sports any more unless I'd like to have a third surgery.  So I'm pretty much limited to an eliptical or stationary bike to get my cardio workouts.  As far as weights go, I have a 300 lb. set in my basement, so I hit almost all of the major muscle groups except for legs (as previously defined why).  Since I've been working out again I've managed to drop about 15 lbs. and my goal is to lose about 15 more.

Good luck with the half marathon training!  I have a brother-in-law that started out with those and is now up to Iron Man's.  Like anything, I've heard the competition can be addicting...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2010, 07:44 PM »

Good luck with the half marathon training!  I have a brother-in-law that started out with those and is now up to Iron Man's.  Like anything, I've heard the competition can be addicting...

Thanks.  I'm a competition/adrenaline junky.  Everything to me is still a competition, at 33 and I show no signs of slowing down.  I still play games at full throttle and am still willing to crash into chain link fences going after balls.  Just call me stupid.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2010, 08:29 PM »
Just call me stupid.

You're stupid.  ;)

To answer your original post, I try to exercise every morning. However, it ends up being something like every other day, or four times a week. I try to get in about 35-40 minutes of jogging outside followed by 35-40 minutes of weights at the local YMCA. Back during my freshman year my weight was getting excessive, so I asked my parents to sign me up for a personal trainer. She showed me how to use all of the weights and other equiptment, and I've been slimmer and happier ever since. I'm not ripped or anything, but I'm at a healthy weight for my age and size. I do worry about college next year, but hopefully I'll be able to manage things via PE courses, gym time, and improved eating habits.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2010, 08:32 PM »
I'd been on a 2 year roll of working out about 5 times a week... it was going well.  Then this new job and the move to Chicago came up and it all fell apart on me.  First it was all the extra work getting ready to move... then it was the move... then the unpacking... then the getting to know the city... then all the time I lost having to commute to work instead of driving around the corner ate into my spare time... 

I went on Sunday morning for the first time since about June.  It was good.  But I've definitely got some work to do to get back up to speed.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #109 on: June 1, 2010, 05:16 PM »
Anyone tried the P90X or Insanity Workouts?  My sister did P90X last year and really liked it, however, once she finished the she went right back to eating like crap and almost doubled her loss.

My doctor/friend suggested I try Insanity though because I've been dealing with some chronic pain issues and I have become more than bored with putting on miles running.  Just looking back to 2003...I weighed 210, right now I am at about 230.  The thing is that I have never ever had any muscle definition or strength.  So, I am giving it a whirl and holy crap what a workout!  I really haven't done long term aerobic exercising since I was cut from the high school hoops team in 10th grade.  After the first 6-8 minutes of the warm up I am usually drenched in sweat.  I am on Week 2 and it is absolutely amazing both of how much better I feel and how my self image is starting to improve.  I get into ruts where exercise really drops off and I put on some weight and downward I go...and not because I don't eat right, I actually do eat pretty healthy, it is the exercise that I lack.  We'll see after two months if I still feel the same way!

Offline MistaBinks

• Youngling
  • Stand up to cancer.
    • View Profile
    • Y2Chaos
« Reply #110 on: June 1, 2010, 07:03 PM »
Anyone tried the P90X or Insanity Workouts?  My sister did P90X last year and really liked it, however, once she finished the she went right back to eating like crap and almost doubled her loss.

My doctor/friend suggested I try Insanity though because I've been dealing with some chronic pain issues and I have become more than bored with putting on miles running.  Just looking back to 2003...I weighed 210, right now I am at about 230.  The thing is that I have never ever had any muscle definition or strength.  So, I am giving it a whirl and holy crap what a workout!  I really haven't done long term aerobic exercising since I was cut from the high school hoops team in 10th grade.  After the first 6-8 minutes of the warm up I am usually drenched in sweat.  I am on Week 2 and it is absolutely amazing both of how much better I feel and how my self image is starting to improve.  I get into ruts where exercise really drops off and I put on some weight and downward I go...and not because I don't eat right, I actually do eat pretty healthy, it is the exercise that I lack.  We'll see after two months if I still feel the same way!

If you decide to jump to P90X, I would suggest checking out Power 90 first. It might not be necessary if you are already doing good with Insanity. Power 90 was the precursor to P90X and is a very good "starting" program. I lift weights regularly, and do cardio regularly, but Power 90 has really challenged me. I am going to move up to P90X after I am comfortable with the Power 90 workout. Again, you are probably ready for P90X as you are doing Insanity.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 1, 2010, 09:16 PM »
Lately I've been hitting the trails near my home for some hikes.  Getting outside and enjoying some fresh air and sunshine makes the whole process a good deal more enjoyable.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 1, 2010, 11:22 PM »

I watched the P90X workout commercial when I was in St. Louis, eating too many red vines and drinking beer.  Does that count? 

Both of those kind of make me wonder what happens when you get to the end, then what do you do? 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 2, 2010, 01:04 AM »
I exercise a lot. Mostly walking due to the fact that I don't have a car. If I need groceries or whatever I walk to get em. Same goes for my toy runs, which works well, since the nearest mall is a good 30-45 minute walk away.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 2, 2010, 08:59 AM »
I have an eliptical in the basement.  I have it set up right in front of my big screen, which is hooked up to my X-Box 360, which streams Netflix goodness.  This setup is key for me because it gets me working out in an enjoyable fashion.  Currently I watch about 2 episodes of "The Office" all the while running about 5 miles. 

I have been doing this for about a year now - along with eating healthier.  I started out weighing in at about 268.  Since then I have dropped 30 lbs and held it off.  I admittedly for a long time now haven't been working out as hard as I can and should be.  I am planning on starting this back up again with summer starting - I really wanna lose another 30...

The diet?  Pretty simple:

No bread
No Mayo
No Pop
No dessert

And I also eat more fruits (sometimes veggies - I don't go for them too much) usually having a banana and a yogurt for breakfast - and a small orange or two along with a sammich rollup at lunch.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 4, 2010, 04:39 PM »
I hit the gym at work 1-3 times a week depending on my schedule.  Usually at the end of the day.  We have a really nice gym with several treadmills, free weights, elipticals, etc.  Many of the machines have built-in TV's, so you can check out a show for distraction.  I always run 3 miles on the TM and try to see how quickly I can get it down (my best thus far is 25 & a half minutes), but I haven't been able to beat 27min for a few weeks now.  Then I hit 5-6 different upper body machines.  If I still have time left, I'll hit the stairclimber or a few leg machines.  I usually don't save any time to stretch, which is a really bad idea. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #116 on: June 4, 2010, 04:45 PM »

I watched the P90X workout commercial when I was in St. Louis, eating too many red vines and drinking beer.  Does that count? 

Both of those kind of make me wonder what happens when you get to the end, then what do you do? 
I've been thinking about that since I started...basically I think I am going to start running again, this is just a way to get me in better aerobic and body shape.  My long term goal has always been to do a half marathon there is one here in October, we'll see how the next 6 weeks go :-\

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 5, 2010, 10:26 AM »
My wife does G90X, which is just a group version of P90X that Gold's Gym does.  Judging by the results, I'd say it works like crazy.  She's 32, has had two kids, and since doing that class for six months, she's ripped.  Total six pack.  She scares the hell out of me.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 5, 2010, 02:59 PM »
I pretty much do walking and diet. During lunch I walk about four-five miles each day and bring a sack lunch of left overs to work. I don't eat fast food or drink soda. Just water and milk. I never drink alcohol or anything with caffeine. I've lost about 40lbs and easily keep it off.

Soda and energy drinks are about the worst things you can take if you want to lose weight. The amount of sugar in them will give you diabetes. Caffeine is an addictive drug that increases your risk for a heart attack.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 5, 2010, 11:53 PM »
Found out the hard way that my work gym is closed on weekends over the Summer.  Bummer.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today