Author Topic: Battlefront II!!!!  (Read 36083 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefront II!!!!
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2005, 11:42 PM »
 ;D

Well I just got done with an hour or so of playing. HOLY **** is all I have to say.

First I did a game on Utapau. It's a lot of fun. Droids are the same as the last game, but you can play as a Magnaguard instead of a pilot. There is a different Clone for each position (sharpshooter, grunt, etc.). I can't remember which helmets go with which commanders though, which really stinks. So I'll try to take a screencap later. The kinds of Clones I remember are 501st and Bacara grunts. Shocktroopers, regular white Clones, and Utapau grunts were not included. If you do really well, then it asks you if you want to play as a Hero character (Obi-Wan for Republic, Grievous for CIS). WOW. They're awesome. I only played as Grievous, but... wow. I'm really speechless. He can just mow down troops. Grievous can also make quick work of vehicles, but it takes a few minutes.

Then, I found a few rooms with the space battles. SPACE. BATTLES. ARE. AWESOME. My God, where to begin? Everyone starts off in the hangar of their side's ship. This was Republic vs. CIS, so it was the Invisible Hand vs. a Star Destroyer. There's also a IGBC ship flying around, but it doesn't do anything.

Now in the CIS docking bay are 2 Tri-Fighters and 2 Droid Starships. Republic has Obi-Wan's and Anakin's Jedi Starfighters (from the Battle of Coruscant), an ARC fighter, and a V-Wing. If you can't get to a ship, you can go and control a turret and try and blast the ships. This is rather boring though. Now, in the starfighters, you have to go inside the enemy's ship and land. After landing, you have to go in and destroy the defense shield. This is something like destroying the Hoth shield generator in BF1. This shuts down all of the turrets. THEN, you have to go in and destroy the shield generator. Again, this is like the Hoth generator in BF1. After you do this, you win. AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME STUFF!

My God, if they could add more starfighters to the space battles, it would absolutely kick ass.I can't wait for the full version!
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2005, 04:26 AM »
 :o :o :o

That sounds even BETTER than I have been imagining it! I can't wait, this game is going to be awesome. XBOX 360 better be backwards compatible.

I'll say it again:

Diddly, I am so freaking jealous of you. :P
"This is the way."

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2005, 10:24 PM »
So lucky...

BTW, What are the Imperial Officers weapons?

Offline crazy about Clones

• Youngling
  • I'm the first Star Wars custom ever created.....
    • View Profile
    • Rebelscum
« Reply #33 on: September 4, 2005, 10:22 PM »
DUDE!!! Can i somehow trade places with you? :P Post some screen shots please!!! Also what other kinds of vehicles were there on Utapau?
"I think the Kanucks of Vancouver are superior Warriors." Teal'c - Stargate SG-

"I like me" Caboose - Red vs Blue

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 4, 2005, 11:13 PM »
Yeah, I'll be doing screenshots later tonight, along with a report. :)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 5, 2005, 02:59 AM »
Okay, so I took a few screencaps (although I doubt 23 is a few :P). Please excuse their crapiness.

The main opening screen has the BF2 logo, as well as the logos of the Alliance and Empire. Each logo shows movie clips of that particular group. The picture shows Luke on Dagobah and Jabba. Other clips include Battle of Yavin, Battle of Hoth, Battle of Endor, and the Star Destroyer capturing the Tantive IV.

Since this is an Online Beta, the only thing we can do is log on to the servers. Luckily the connection was working today, and away we went to the above screen, the game room selection. Unfortunately, I think there were about 5 other people total online, so I was basically playing against the CPU all night. The beta consists of three levels - Utapau (CIS vs. Republic), Tantive IV (Empire vs. Rebellion), and a Space Dogfight over Kashyyk (CIS vs. Republic). Unfortunately, there were no Space battles available tonight, but I was able to play one a few weeks ago. For now, let's go to the Tantive.

The loading screen while waiting to get into a game.

When you first start out, you need to choose your side, either the Empire or the Rebellion. I first chose the Empire. Their troops consist of a Stormtrooper, Sandtrooper, Biker Scout, Imperial Officer, Death Star Trooper (the ones that fire the laser beam), and a Darktrooper. Each hold the same weapons they did in BF1, with Pilots being replaced by DS Troopers and Bothan Spies. The Pilots are playable in space battles though.

The controls are pretty much the same as BF1, and I'm glad. The controls were easy to follow and use, so I'm glad to see no major changes like other companies do with their sequels. The levels are HUGE! You can go anywhere in the Tantive, from the engine room, to the escape pod hallway, to the meeting room in ROTS where Obi-Wan, Bail Organa, and Yoda discuss the future of the twins. It's amazing to look at and very movie accurate, at least the parts we've seen on screen. :P After a while, I got bored with the Empire and did some rebelling.

The Rebel troops consist of two Rebel Fleet Troopers (one as a basic grunt, one as a heavy weapons troop), a Wookiee Warrior, a Smuggler, and a Bothan Spy. Their weapons are the same as in BF1 also. After some short fighting, I decided to go to Utapau.

A Smuggler views a table that I swear I've seen somewhere before.

The Smugger searches for R2-D2 and the stolen plans - TRAITOR!

On arrival into a Utapau game, you are again asked to choose whether you want to play for the CIS or the Republic. I chose the CIS at first.

CIS soldiers include a Super Battle Droid, Battle Droid, Red Battle Droid (not the kind from Geonosis), Destroyer Droid, and a Magnaguard. Again, the weapons are the same as in BF1.

On Utapau, there are two available vehicles to drive, an AT-RT and a Tank Droid. Both are no different from driving a vehicle in BF1, and it's fun to mow down troops with one of them. Onto the Clones...

As you can see, fans of Clones will not be disappointed. We have 6 different types of Clones here. 501st Clone, 501st Jetpack Clone (with a green visor similar to Commander Gree), an all white Commander Bacarra, a Commander Bacarra grunt (early Snowtrooper), a trooper with a Commander Faie helmet, and one last Clone I don't recognize (he's in the second pic). If you've read this far, you'll know that each Clone's weapons are the same as in BF1, so I don't have to tell you that they are. Wait a second...

Faie observes a quarter of the gigantic Utapau level.

A close up of the Tank Droid.

If you do really well, you get asked to play as a Hero character. Accept, and you can play as either Obi-Wan or General Grievous, depending on which side you chose. Hero characters are awesome, and they mow down troops with their lightsabers. There is no defense, however, and once you're dead, you're dead, and you'll have to work your way back up to play as a Hero again.

Space battles are very fun as well. My God, where to begin? Everyone starts off in the hangar of their side's ship. This was Republic vs. CIS, so it was the Invisible Hand vs. a Star Destroyer. There's also a IGBC ship flying around, but it doesn't do anything.

Now in the CIS docking bay are 2 Tri-Fighters and 2 Droid Starships. Republic has Obi-Wan's and Anakin's Jedi Starfighters (from the Battle of Coruscant), an ARC fighter, and a V-Wing. If you can't get to a ship, you can go and control a turret and try and blast the ships. This is rather boring though. Now, in the starfighters, you have to go inside the enemy's ship and land. After landing, you have to go in and destroy the defense shield. This is something like destroying the Endor shield generator in BF1. Luckily grenades are more powerful here. This shuts down all of the turrets. THEN, you have to go in and destroy the power core. Again, this is like the Endor generator in BF1. After you blow it up, you win.

Overall, the Beta is great, and I hope that the full version is even better. If you were a fan of BF1, start saving your pennies. This game will be great!

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 5, 2005, 08:36 PM »
the clone commander w/ the chaingun... is that a mygeeto snowtrooper? And wasnt Bacara the clone heavy weapons guy?

Offline Ner_vod

• Jedi Initiate
  • HAHA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 5, 2005, 09:23 PM »
Do you get to use BARC speeders?

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 5, 2005, 11:21 PM »
the clone commander w/ the chaingun... is that a mygeeto snowtrooper? And wasnt Bacara the clone heavy weapons guy?

Yes and yes.

Do you get to use BARC speeders?

Not in the Beta... they could change that though.

Offline JedioftheNorth

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 6, 2005, 04:43 PM »
SWEET CHRISTMAS!!!! I can't wait for this game to come out it looks amazing just from the screen shots.  Playing as Obi or Grievous sounds like too much fun just picked up the first one so now I can't wait for the 1st of nov.

Offline crazy about Clones

• Youngling
  • I'm the first Star Wars custom ever created.....
    • View Profile
    • Rebelscum
« Reply #40 on: September 6, 2005, 04:58 PM »
Thanks for the Screens diddly! To awnser your question, the trooper you didnt recognize is one of Commander Cody's Spec Ops troopers, or refered(incorrectly i might add) to Commander Fox. Also the Clone with the Jet pack and the 501sr marking is Commander Appo, who leads the 501st. And I have something to ask, could you post some pics of the Death Star Trooper/Gunner? Thanks! ;D
"I think the Kanucks of Vancouver are superior Warriors." Teal'c - Stargate SG-

"I like me" Caboose - Red vs Blue

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 6, 2005, 06:45 PM »
Thanks for the info, crazy about Clones! I'll post some more pics, but you'll have to wait a few days when I have the chance to play again. :-\

Offline TeenJedi

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 7, 2005, 12:08 AM »
Rumored/Confirmed Maps:
Tantive IV
Battle Over Courscant
The Jedi Temple
Mustafar
Utapau
Death Star Interior
Battle Over Endor
Jabba's Palace

Rumored/Confirmed Jedi:
Mace Windu
Darth Vader
General Grievous
Darth Maul
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Luke Skywalker
Count Dooku

I guess we can update this from the pictures and video seen on the official site. I don't know for sure if these are playable characters but they are seen in the game.

Yoda/Dagobah?/Kashyyyk
Ki Adi Mundi/Mygeeto
Aayla Secura/Felucia
Boba Fett/ Kamino and ?
Jango Fett/ Kamino
Anakin Skywalker-Vader/mustafar

Princess Leia on Tantive IV? She is seen in a pic but don't know if you can play as her.
Kit Fisto? I don't know about him but he's seen on the cover art next to Aayla.

I didn't add any maps that were already in BF 1, but Polis Masa is new. Any other things were missing?

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #43 on: September 7, 2005, 04:04 PM »
Great updates!

Thanks a bunch for taking the time.  I'm a big Battlefront fan, can;t wiat for Nov. to roll around.  I'll prob play again tonight, yeah it will only be boring old BFI.  :P

Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2005, 09:28 PM »
More screenshots pa-leeze!  ::)