Author Topic: Episode III - Preview Figures (SPOILERS)  (Read 26836 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: Sneak Preview At Walmart
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2005, 05:56 PM »
Damn, SoCal gets everything first! I'll be on the lookout...
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

SilverZ

« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2005, 11:51 PM »
Damn, SoCal gets everything first! I'll be on the lookout...

Trust me, it's a one-time only event. We simply have store employees that can't read the sides of the cases that say to hold for 2/1/05.

SilverZ

Re: Episode III - Preview Figures (SPOILERS)
« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2005, 06:39 PM »
Found 'em at a local Walmart.

5.88 per figure, on pegs filled with 10-12 Greivous, 10-12 Wookiee Warriors, 6 R4-G9, and 3 Tion Meddon.

Got some pics coming, sorry if I'm overloading the page:

Wookiee Warrior:
Bigger than VOTC Chewbacca, articulation that nearly matches it, and removable armor that makes him a nice generic Wook for customizers.

R4-G9:
Seems to use parts from the VOTC R2 on the legs, and a new 3rd leg mechanism -- you rotate the dome to retract it into the body.

General Greivous:
Ball sockets at the shoulders and head, torso twists at chest,  with twist sockets at the elbows and knees. Cape is removable.

Tion Medon:
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 07:56 PM by Tydirium »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2005, 08:14 PM »

I love it!  Those pictures are fantastic, Jared!

I can't wait to get my hands on that Wookiee!  vOTC quality articulation sure makes the $6-7 price tag easier to swallow in my mind!

Love the pics of Greivous too!   :)

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2005, 09:19 PM »
I MUST get those! :o
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2005, 12:30 AM »
Indeed, those are great pictures Jared, thanks!  I dig knowing just how great a figure that Wookie's turning out to be.  So that's NOT the officer Wookie named Tarful then?  Just a generic one?  Very cool to me...  I just hope he's abundant enough to find.

I wonder if Chewie's sort of a runt for his species?

Tion Medon's cool I think, nonetheless.  As cool as any "senator" type figure can be.

Greivous is really growing on me, and the fact the first version they make of him's pretty poseable and "neutral" and I'm already getting hyped to see more of that guy in Clone Wars and E3.  Rock on Star Wars!

My disappointment for R4 is a surprise...  I don't like "features" with the middle leg, and wish Hasbro would've just done a basic re-release of the R2-Q5 body...  To me, that's astromech perfection.  I dig the colors though (a first), and the planet's neat too.

I just hate pissing with what I felt was perfect...  VOTC R2 doesn't even compare to all the astro's that used the R2-Q5 body, IMO.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2005, 07:30 AM »
Damn, that wookie is massive  :o I didn't know he had so much "girth".  Going to pick me up a couple and try my hand at customizing some different ones.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2005, 08:48 AM »
Thanks for the great pics Jared, and congrats on the find.  Hopefully these will be showing up everywhere by Feb 1, and everyone can find what they are looking for.  It looks like a nice batch of figures there, and like others have mentioned, that wookiee is definitely massive!  Really looking forward to these figures, can't wait to find them.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2005, 11:37 AM »
Fantastic pictures Jared. That Wookie is really huge.  :o  I'm liking Greivous too, man can't wait.  8)

Thanks for the pic's.  :)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2005, 12:00 PM »
My one complaint on the Wookiee is his head color doesn't blend well with the upper torso, in fact all of the different pieces look to be different shades of brown. 

Grievous looks amazing though, I'm not exactly sure why they needed to introduce him to the story when they had Dooku but he looks like a great design and a great figure

R4 (How lame is it that they call R2 units R4?) is a step down from previous models of R2's released so in that sense R4 is a disappointment

Tion is a great figure for what he is and I agree with Jesse, he's basically a "senator" I don't expect much else

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2005, 12:06 PM »
I can't wai tfor these to hit the east coast.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2005, 02:56 PM »
And Tion has a pimp cane...  That has to count for something.  :)  It made Poggel a more interesting figure I thought...  Give him the big hat and you're off to the Pimps & Hos convention.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2005, 03:12 PM »
One thing I noticed now, that I didn't notice last night - no stands.   :(

I thought I remembered seeing pictures of these guys with stands (from Hasbro or SW.com).

Kinda disappointed that they don't have them...  :-\

Jeff
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 03:12 PM by Nataku »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2005, 03:42 PM »
Cut all costs at all costs, and raise prices too...  Thanks Hasbro.

Seriously though (well, I was I guess, but anyway...), these are hitting here too I'm being told...  A WM near me put out a bunch (6 pegs worth) today.  Sounds like everyone's having some premature problems.

And you thought you were the only ones with people who couldn't read the date on the box!  Pffft!  Pittsburgh will match your illiterates and raise you a nimrod!   :-X

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2005, 04:22 AM »
Got a set sans R4 tonight (One of the local guys just happened to be there scooping up the LAST R4, so we chatted for a few then parted ways).

I have to say, the Wookie is hands down the best figure out of the wave, and that's saying a lot because I'd say all 3 of the others are VASTLY superior efforts to E2's Sneak Preview wave, except perhaps the R4 compared to E2's R3 unit.

Anyway, the wookie simply rocks all.  He's huge, he has completely removable armor (at least it appears to me his body armor or jewelery would come off if you worked the braids around it), and he holds a rifle with TWO hands!  Yes, Hasbro has actually seen that it's important that a figure with a rifle hold it with two hands...  Nice! 

My only gripes are the big squares cut out of the soles of his feet, the sorta mis-matched paintjob on the fur at every separate piece (the figure almost looks like it was painted and then assembled, rather than the other way around), and that his helmet doesn't fit him well (falls off, so better loose than too tight so it won't fit on I figure).  Oh, and his knee joints are VERY loose.  Mine are anyway...  They almost bow under his weight if posed the wrong way.

Still a grand figure...  Something to behold.

It does appear that they're packing Tion Medon and R4 less to a case too.  Not to raise panic, but R4's were all gone and Tion's were down to two when I got there while Wookies were all over the place as was Greivous.

I'm easily "in" on I'd say 10 more wookies...  Dare I say this is one of the best army builder figures ever made by Hasbro, so hats off.

Tion Medon's what I expected.  His cane's cool...  He has a rifle that, unless it's used in the film, is a bit out of place as an accessory...  He's really quite poseable for what he is actually, and he's a top-notch sculpt with great deco.  He's dull though beyond being kinda freaky looking.  (BTW, the Wookie's articulation is pretty nice too.  Shame to see Hasbro dropping ball/sockets for angle-cuts in some places, but he's still lightyears ahead of anything offered in 2003 or prior, save for a SA Clone).

R4 I only got a glimpse of so my opinion stands.

Greivous is odd...  His arms arne't as poseable as I can tell they could be, and as much as I'd like.  He's got a great saber though, and apparantly someone at Hasbro fibbed to all the people who asked for "single-piece sabers" to come back because he's got the removable blade going on.

His robe actually CONNECTS to his chest via pinholes in his chest (very small and unnoticeable) and 2 small pins on his robe.  Pretty nice.

He's still sporting a lot of articulation and 5 ball/socket joints which is great...  His saber seems like it was intended to plug on him, but I can't tell if it does somewhere.  He's a little tough to pose I'm finding, and I sorta am hoping for a more poseable one in the basic line.  If not, this is a happy substitute...  This guy gets you pumped for E3 though, lemme tell ya.  Makes you want to see him in action.  He just oozes evil, and I was one of the many who didn't care for the concept at first.

That's a mini review...  Figure goodness I tells ya!