Author Topic: New JD Review: General Grievous (Sneak Preview)  (Read 2041 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
New JD Review: General Grievous (Sneak Preview)
« on: May 27, 2005, 03:15 AM »
He's mean, he's bony lookin', and he's a big focus of hype around the new Star Wars movie Revenge of the Sith...  So how's he as a toy?

Of course, I speak of General Grievous , the Separatist leader and funkmaster of the galaxy.

Read the full review for General Grievous (Sneak Preview) if you dare, and give us some thoughts too.

For me, Grievous was a tough figure to review because he had little to compare him to.  I found him to be fairly good overall and accurate to what I'd seen of the character up to that point.  With that said, and having now seen the film, I can safely say my issue with his articulation is a valid one.  They could've done Grievous a little more justice in the poseability department.

The good news there though?  We'll have probably quite a few of him in the coming months since he seems to be the Darth Maul of his day.  His time in the film was brief, but we all have our Clone Wars memories of this badass to really love the character for.

He's got some flaws, but he's got a lot going for him too, so check the review out and enjoy.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 03:16 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Commander JediSearch

• Jedi Initiate
  • Do what must be done... I support Order 66
    • View Profile
    • The Archive
Re: New JD Review: General Grievous (Sneak Preview)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 02:04 PM »
Great review!  I really like this figure.

When I compare the Sneak Preview Grievous with some of the other Grievous figures, I notice one thing immediately.  The color!

Why are there so many different color Grievous figures?  I think the color of the Sneak Preview figure is pretty accurate, but some of the others are too grey or too brown.  I haven't unpackaged him so I'm not familiar with the articulation.  I like the fact that he has the cape, and I can understand not including the 4 arm feature in the sneak preview version. 
Stephen - Louisville, KY
Sandtroopers | KSWCC | My Collection

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: New JD Review: General Grievous (Sneak Preview)
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 03:47 AM »
I'd say this is one of the better paintjobs of all the Grievous figures, with Deluxe Grievous a close 2nd.  The blast-apart Grievous figure is chalk white though, totally off the mark, as it the lower numbered one I believe (don't own it yet...  if there is a lower numbered one, which I thought there was).

Hasbro is all over on the paint aps.

To me, the reason for the 4-arm/saber feature on the preview figure is again tied to hype (but also tied to making a better figure).  When I look at the figure as a hype tool, what better way then to make him as wildly articulated as the Wookiee, but displaying his neat "4-arms" surprise in the film.  It'd give people something to ponder that the cartoons implied a while ago anyway.

It'd be nice to have one with arms that could be "2" or "4" and look normal as both.  The Deluxe doesn't pull that off well really. :(

That said, my biggest beef is the ankles not being articulated.  It really makes the figure difficult to pose certain ways...  That and a cloth cloak would've been nice.  I can do the cloth cloak myself though, but the ankles kinda let me down.

I have that Grievous in a rockin' saber (2-handed) pose, though he never wielded a saber like this in the film.  I can see him accumulating more sabers like this though.  :)  He looks badass to say the least.

Thanks for popping in and sharing some thoughts JediSearch, I appreciate it man!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 03:47 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77