Author Topic: JD Fantasy Hockey 2005  (Read 123020 times)

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
Re: JD Fantasy Hockey 2005
« Reply #1185 on: April 19, 2006, 01:46 PM »
I guess it's only fitting there was a tie with at least 2 of the 4 teams who were battling it out for the championship crumbs.  Congrats Robby boy.    :)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: April 19, 2006, 02:07 PM »
Alright, platitudes are out of the way.

Next season:
League will run head to head AND point style, similar to this year. 

Need some revisions for the point league and need to set rules for head-head league.

Point league:
Game cap at 90 games
Only a single goalie (90 game cap means you'll need at least two anyway) slot.
Add flex AND utility slot that you can put anyone into.
Retain 2 each of center/LW/RW and 4 D positions?
Total roster at 15 players
Goaltending point scheme: win=2; loss = -1
add PIM at 1PIM = 0.2 pts
One IR or two.

H2H league:
I'll mostly defer on this to Jason's suggestions since I've never run one of these.  I do know that there'll be no cap for games in that league though. 

Thoughts?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: April 19, 2006, 03:05 PM »
I like the way that looks Brent, though I've never been big on PIMs.  We can vote on that one.  I'm down to run the H2H league and you can commish the point league and we can always have whoever wants to compete in both since we all know each other here. 

Yahoo's default settings for the H2H leagues include these categories:

Goals
Assists
+/-
PIM
Power play points
Game winning goals
Goalie wins
Goals against average
Save percentage
Shutouts

Now obviously you can change those categories around and add or subtract what you want.  We'd put that to a vote obviously. 

As for the roster, the default setting is 2 each of C, LW and RW, 4 Dmen, 2 goalies, 4 bench spots and in IR spot.  I will be adding a flex position though and that isn't up for vote.  The only thing up for vote would be an additional flex spot should people want to have that.  We can also add a bench spot but I really don't want to see anymore than 5 bench spots because then you see hoarding occur. 

Then from there we draft like we did here and instead of accumulating points for goals and wins, for example, you face 1 team per week and your totals for the selected categories add up and your record that week goes toward your overall record.  If Brent beats Rob 6 categories to 4 that week, Brent's record is 6-4 and Rob's is 4-6.  Pretty self explanatory. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: April 19, 2006, 03:31 PM »
I'm in favor of more than 1 IR spot - you shouldn't have to drop a player because you're desperate to get a temporary replacement for him.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: April 19, 2006, 03:42 PM »
I'm in favor of more than 1 IR spot - you shouldn't have to drop a player because you're desperate to get a temporary replacement for him.

If we do add an extra IR spot, we should put the bench at 4 spots since IR adds spots on your roster.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 03:42 PM by Holographic Elvis »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: April 19, 2006, 05:08 PM »
I'm ok with two IR spots, but no more than that.  I agree you shouldn't have to drop guys, but you shouldn't be able to keep everyone either.  Some of the fun/frustration is in the hard decisions you have to make.  And the one IR means you're not desperate anyway because it adds a spot to your bench as soon as yahoo declares the IR status.  But two is understandable as well, I would have benefitted from that this year as well.

I'm totally cool with Jason commishing the H2H league.  One less thing for me to mess up.  I guess though we'll have to hold two drafts somehow, unless we can agree to have everyone play both leagues and use a single draft?

I'm also very supportive of the flex position.  In our spawn league we used both a forward (F) and utility (U) position.  The F was obviously C/LW/RW only, but you could use a D man for the U position.  It mattered there because PIM was included and was higher weighted than I've suggested for here, so was a very important category.

I'd actually like smaller benches than we had for this year.  5 would be a max, but I'd even be ok with three.  4 bench and 2 IR is good by me for both leagues.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: April 19, 2006, 05:11 PM »
We can always try to hold a live draft for one league and the usual post draft for the other.  I think it'll be more fun to have 2 different teams.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: April 20, 2006, 02:39 PM »
By the way, congratulations Jeff.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: April 20, 2006, 02:50 PM »
I say Jeff buys everyone a round of drinks.  I'll PM you my PayPal address for you send me the $$ to cover it.  :P

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: April 20, 2006, 03:12 PM »
We can always try to hold a live draft for one league and the usual post draft for the other.  I think it'll be more fun to have 2 different teams.

Sure, two drafts are fine by me.  Two different teams could really mess with people's minds.  That's always fun.

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: April 20, 2006, 03:28 PM »
A part of me likes two different drafts, but I also think it would be interesting to see how the two different formats fare with the exact same rosters. I'm a little torn on this I guess.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: April 20, 2006, 03:38 PM »
A part of me likes two different drafts, but I also think it would be interesting to see how the two different formats fare with the exact same rosters. I'm a little torn on this I guess.

That would resolve the discussion of whether anything different would have happened with Jeff's team if the league had been H2H.  Three leagues? :P

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: April 20, 2006, 03:45 PM »
Two leagues, one draft - otherwise the experiment is worthless.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1198 on: April 22, 2006, 12:55 AM »
Congrats Jeff!

Personally I think 1 draft and 2 leagues is the best choice.
"This is the way."