Author Topic: Lord of the Rings Figures  (Read 277793 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: Lord of the Rings Figures
« Reply #120 on: September 5, 2003, 12:35 PM »
I think they're staying away from fast-food tie-ins, because they think the BK toys cost FOTR the Best Picture Oscar.
Whatever.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 5, 2003, 12:39 PM »
I don't think merchandising or promotional tie-ins had anything to do with it.  I think it's more to do with the Academy thinking that only dramas deserve to win.  It's a really stilted mindset.  You almost never see fantasy, comedy, science fiction or action films winning the best picture award.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #122 on: September 5, 2003, 12:50 PM »
That could be true too, because TTT didn't win it either. If ROTK doesn't win, then you know the Academy has it in for Peter Jackson and LOTR. And pretty much every other person who isn't an Academy voter.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 5, 2003, 12:56 PM »
Honestly, I don't think the Academy necessarily has it in for anyone.  I think it's still the overwhelming mindset that drama's should win.

If there is any kind of open bias, I think it's a bias against movies not made in Hollywood.  In that case, there's definitely reason to wonder if people do have it in for LOTR and Star Wars.  Both saga's were made far away from Hollywood.  LOTR got made entirely in New Zealand, which is like 10,000 miles from LA, and Lucas has always eschewed working in LA, preferring to work out of Marin County, London, and now Australia.

THAT could be a serious consideration as to why these movies get snubbed.  A lot of the Academy is based out of LA, and they want to keep the movie business in LA, along with the jobs.  Get that mindset going with a lot of the voting members, and it can have a big impact.

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #124 on: September 5, 2003, 03:30 PM »
It could be those things, but Gladitor won, and it was made in Malta amongst other places.  The English Patient won, and was made in Tunisia and Italy.  All with Hollywood money, like LOTR has been.   For my part I think it's the same gentryed snobbery that exists in publishing.  If it's popular, they reckon, it can't be good.

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 5, 2003, 04:08 PM »
So if "The Silence of the Lambs" had had a fast-food tie-in, it wouldn't have stood a chance? Seems like a natural fit to me.

Back on topic, why does the uber-articulated "Gollum" sport a Smeagol-like expression? Not that I mind since I'm happy with my Gollum Bend 'Em and this new wall-climber fills my Smeagol need. Just curious. I noticed the package image shows a decidedly less friendly face. Was this a running change or will there be another variant in the future?
Post sober.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 5, 2003, 09:38 PM »
It could be those things, but Gladitor won, and it was made in Malta amongst other places.  The English Patient won, and was made in Tunisia and Italy.  All with Hollywood money, like LOTR has been.   For my part I think it's the same gentryed snobbery that exists in publishing.  If it's popular, they reckon, it can't be good.

I understand what you mean.  Those films were made on location because they could be or had to be done on location.  Still, they were from mainstream Hollywood studios.  Gladiator, in fact, was a kind of throwback to something Charlton Heston or Burt Lancaster might've done in their prime.

The point being, both George Lucas and Peter Jackson have made a concerted effort to divorce themselves from the Hollywood process.  And Lucas started doing that in the '70's with American Zoetrope and Coppolla.

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #127 on: September 5, 2003, 11:52 PM »
I hear you on that, Nicklab.  The Academy/Hollywood does have an unspoken bias sometimes against outsiders, not to mention good ideas.

As for why the articulated Gollum looks like Smeagol, I have no idea.  I have the sense that we'll get a Gollum variant of this guy soon enough.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #128 on: September 6, 2003, 03:39 PM »
www.thegd.com has pics of the Harad Archer and Armored Pippin!   :o  Both look fantastic except the likeness on Pippin is a little... off.  Maybe it's just me.  Can't wait to buy LOADS of those archers.

UPDATE!  SPOILERS!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00009OX2C/103-8302239-4671810?v=glance&s=toys&me=A3UN6WX5RRO2AG&vi=pictures&img=14

;D
« Last Edit: September 6, 2003, 04:22 PM by Spuffy »

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 8, 2003, 01:40 PM »
Just got back from my lunch hour toy run and found ANOTHER Eowyn, this time sans armor. She's a vision in blue, an unexpected surprise thanks to Target.

I think I'll pose her next to her armor-clad counterpart and pretend they're naughty twins.  8)
Post sober.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #130 on: September 10, 2003, 11:57 PM »
Got lucky with an Armored Eowyn and Aragorn, hopefully someone isn't too mad at me in Sacramento that I bought them from their Target...couldn't pass them up and hey I did contribute some taxes to the economy...you need all the help you can get!

Aragorn is one of the nicest figures ever made IMO...and the armored Eowyn is right behind him...

Toybiz should have been doing Superposability all along with this line (most of them are, but some are not) ala Marvel Legends as Aragorn is...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Triple Holy Crap!
« Reply #131 on: September 12, 2003, 11:01 PM »
First...

Order this

Twilight Frodo

Second...saw a Prologue Bilbo at Suncoast Tonight

Third...also saw a Cross Bow Uruk

I couldn't buy them though since I didn't have my wallet.  Hopefully they will still be there tomorrow morning!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2003, 11:01 PM by OCB »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Triple Holy Crap!
« Reply #132 on: September 12, 2003, 11:10 PM »
I couldn't buy them though since I didn't have my wallet.  Hopefully they will still be there tomorrow morning!

Always go toy hunting with your wallet! Just watch what you spend!  ;D

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: Lord of the Rings Figures...TWILIGHT FRODO at KB.com!!!
« Reply #133 on: September 12, 2003, 11:25 PM »
Twilight Frodo is mine.  A big hearty I told you so to the scalpers.  And now watch him be blown out in KB stores nation wide for $5.99.  Hee.

Offline SiteC

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • SiteC's Figure Collection Page
Re: Lord of the Rings Figures...TWILIGHT FRODO at KB.com!!!
« Reply #134 on: September 13, 2003, 12:04 AM »
Twilight Frodo is mine.  A big hearty I told you so to the scalpers.  And now watch him be blown out in KB stores nation wide for $5.99.  Hee.

Me thinks I am gonna wait it out.  If it shows up at KB.com, it will eventually hit stores since its not a "web exclusive"

Might be cheaper in store also...