Author Topic: Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader  (Read 6304 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2006, 11:21 PM »
I'm just about done with the book and I'll be brutally honest in the fact that I haven't read a bit of EU since Darth Maul:Shadow Hunter

So...it was alright.  I loved the insight into Vader/Skywalker and how it almost seems like Anakin is really still there but also gone for good.

I also like the introductions of Tarkin etc 

What didn't work: 

Same problem I have with all EU, forced references to the movies.  "There was a hornless Bantha pulling something"  Vader saying lines he said in ANH etc  I cannot stand that and it is one of my biggest problems with EU as a whole

I also didn't like the timeline.  It seems to take place a month or so after ROTS.  Vader just received burns over 100% of his body, seared his lungs and lost three limbs.  And here he was dueling with Jedi three weeks later?  Come on ::)

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2006, 11:12 AM »
 ::) A crispy anakin is healed in like a month?
What is this?
Oh well, I guess it doesnt matter.
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline Ghost of QG

• Jedi Initiate
  • Pimpin' the Midwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2006, 05:01 PM »
You think Palpatine told Anakin/ Vader not to pick at them or they'll never heal? Just wondering.

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2006, 10:05 PM »
I guess so.

Clone Commander Appo.

Offline Dhivael

• Youngling
  • Dark Lord of the Sith
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 5, 2006, 09:38 AM »
I wasn't so thrilled with this. I had high hopes given the other two in the episode 3 trilogy, but this one just didnt stack up. The plot was weak, but the novelization stayed great.  all in all, you should probably read it if you read the other two, otherwise skip it.
-Dhivael

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2006, 03:41 PM »
Overall I liked it, but I agree completely with the observation regarding the movie references. Unless Banthas, Dewbacks, and tauntauns are the only herbivores in that galaxy, the overuse of them is a step beyond annoying. It's like the author has a list of 10 words, including those 3, Rancor, Hutt, and a few others that they feel compelled to sprinkle into the dialogue.

But it is interesting to think about Vader's taking the role of a leader in the empire, and how that role is perceived by the military personel and civilians. Not to mention the little surprise on tatooine that helps tie the trilogies together.