Author Topic: New JD Review: Clone Troopers!  (Read 3950 times)

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
New JD Review: Clone Troopers!
« on: October 8, 2005, 10:12 PM »
This week Jesse reviews the freakishly popular soldiers of the Empire: Clones! Glorious Clones!  Read the Full Review here: http://www.jedidefender.com/reviews/rots0641.php
« Last Edit: October 8, 2005, 10:13 PM by HunterofThePegs »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: New JD Review: Clone Troopers!
« Reply #1 on: October 9, 2005, 03:23 AM »
You guys are killing me. :)  You're getting a thread started before I have the time to.

So here we go...

This week we are indeed taking a look at the Clone Troopers! (Full Review) from the Revenge of the Sith basic line.  Figures #6 and #41 if I'm not mistaken and if you're keeping track.  This review is a duel review/comparison.  The grunts of the great Republic are the hotspot for collecting this year and even with massive reshipments these figures are NOT pegwarming, at least not everywhere, but Hasbro's really putting them out there for everyone to grab.

(For the curious, my definition of pegwarming means massive ammounts that sit for at least a month.  In some areas they maybe are lucky enough to have this "problem" with Clones but in my neck the best you'll find is a #41 here and there (#6's are long gone for some reason and I think it's mostly because they've only recently shipped as the hot repaint Clone).)

Anyway, the Clones are obviously popular.  Probably the most popular figures of all time really with demand not even having too much of a slowdown.  If the white ones aren't in demand, the variants are, and it's a vicious cycle.

My review this week's a bit of a twist.  I'm tearing apart both figures to show who the clear-cut winner is between #6 Clone and #41 Clone.  I won't spoil the ending but if you know me well you know who I picked.  I like both figures well enough to have bought many of each though, and while my army is weak compared to, oh, say, Rob's, I've still got an impressive little group going.

This review was done prior to the variations shipping really, but to say they are anything short of a pain in the ass to find is really an understatement.  IMO, I'd say one of the only reasons there are any white clones to be found fairly easily is because people are focusing on buying up the variations (And evolutions sets) instead.  I know I've even begun to pace myself and I now buy CLones like I buy up Clone pilots and Neimodian gunners.  Here and there when I see them and have the extra $$$, but not buying up every one I see.

Anyway, Hasbro has a couple of knock-out figures, and they really satiated 2 demographics and you just have to give them some applause for that effort.  Neither figure is bad though, and that's good news for army builders.  So check out the review and pick which way you want your army to go!
« Last Edit: October 9, 2005, 03:26 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #2 on: October 9, 2005, 03:11 PM »
Nice review Jesse, I like how you did the comparison review.  Any plans on doing that for the different versions of Anakin, Obi-Wan or Palpatine?  Might be a cool way to do reviews in the future.

Just to touch on the gripe about no rifle for the #41 clone, I think Hasblo making an accessory pack in the future loaded with rifles and other items would be a good idea.  Hell, Kenner did it in the vintage line and it was a huge success.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 9, 2005, 03:57 PM »

Just to touch on the gripe about no rifle for the #41 clone, I think Hasblo making an accessory pack in the future loaded with rifles and other items would be a good idea.  Hell, Kenner did it in the vintage line and it was a huge success.

Yeah, you're thinking of the Vintage ESB Action Figure Survival Kit, which had a whole ****load of weapons and accesories. They could do a Target exclusive ROTS Survival Kit which could include:

- 3 Smaller Imperial Clone rifles
- 2 Heavy Clone rifles
- 1 DC-17 AT-RT Pilot rifle
- 1 piece of AT-RT Pilot armor
- 2 Lightsabers
- 27 Mon Mothma Baton thingys ( JK : D )
- 2 Palpatine Holos
« Last Edit: October 9, 2005, 03:58 PM by HunterofThePegs »

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #4 on: October 9, 2005, 11:54 PM »
They could aslo do a mail-away like the vintage one was.  One way to spend the thousands of Jedi Master Points we all have.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 12:32 AM »
Thanks Matt...  Right now, none for Obi-Wan or Ani...  Mostly working on newer stuff, not older, but older's never ruled out, I just have a schedule I'm on right now and trying to keep with.

I've got other "Duel" reviews coming up though, just not of main characters.

The Clones were fun to review because it was basically Hasbro saying "Here's one for you and one for you", and that's a first for them I think.  They really actually did something right for once with that...  If they'd done something like this (Collection 1 and 2 Ani's or Obi's right at the start) I think it would've been really great actually.  Pilot Obi-Wan released with, say, Mustafar Duel Obi-Wan... 

My only clone complaint currently is that I can't find variations for the life of me.  Pilot and Commander aside (though I am seeing the Commander here and there, just not a lot), the Red Shocktrooper is nothing short of a frustration to pick up and if that's where the #6's tooling is being devoted, you'd think you'd see this figure a lot more.  I dunno.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Mike16

• Youngling
  • As you wish...
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Outpost
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 08:29 AM »
Awesome idea doing them at the same time, makes a nice change seeing as they are quite similiar figures. I think they both have their merits, #6 can kneel better while #41 has the accurate looks. If you place them out right in a diorama they look great together

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 01:56 AM »
I agree totally Mike, and that's why I'm not totally against the #6 being re-used for repaints/variations.  That said, I see people's gripes and I think that if Hasbro were wise they could/should re-release all 3 Clone sculpts (TE Gunner being counted as basically a basic grunt's sculpt) with all the color variations possible...

IE: A #41 re-release with blue 501st markings, red shocktrooper markings, maybe grey Coruscant markings, and Yellow Utapau markings...  Then release the #6 with the Utapau Markings, blue 501st, etc...  And the same with the AT-TE Gunner who's got the blue markings so release him with the red shocktrooper markings, Utapau Markings, etc...

To me that's the best way to go, to make everyone happy.  It's not like they don't have time.  Clones, and their variants, could be mixed into the line indefinately really.

Offline Mike16

• Youngling
  • As you wish...
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Outpost
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 04:12 AM »
Well yeah, they've already shown they can put in running chnages in the paint apps with the #6 Shock and #33 Green Commander, so we know its not a complicated thing to do. I think thats a great idea actually, it would obviously be a great seller for them as I'd happily buy a fair few.