Author Topic: Star Destroyer Bridge Playset!  (Read 12560 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Star Destroyer Bridge Playset!
« on: October 12, 2005, 05:38 PM »
My good friend Owen D has done it again.  A couple months back we started discussing another possible project that I could commission for him to make... and we had discussed the bridge of the Star Destroyer Executor... here is the first portion of it -

And click here to see many more pics - http://www.owenscustoms.com/Executor.html

I've said it many times before... for those of you that want some awesome playsets to display your collection in, you should contact Owen.  There's nobody better to deal with for this sort of thing.

:P
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 09:38 AM by Jeff »

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Check this out!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 05:53 PM »
wow! :o thats crazy! hasbro couldn't have done a better job. that is an awsome dio/playset. owen definetley does some quality work, i recently commisioned a figure from him, i may have to look in to somthing like this!

erik
=jEdIsTyLe=
---------------------------------------------------------
" The first soap was made from the ashes of hero's, with out pain, with out sacrifice, we would have nothing."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 06:10 PM »
Yep, his work is fantastic... if you like his figures, you'd love these playsets in person.  They are breathtaking.  The centerpieces of my collection.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 06:19 PM »
I'm going to come to your house and steal that, or better yet, I'll just steal Owen. :P

That is infuckingcredible. The detail is so astonishing, every little switch has texture and color, and it is nice and curvy.That is hands down one of the best dioramas of any kind I've ever seen. I think it may be my favorite piece of his. You are one lucky guy to own something like that. If I wasn't so damn poor I'd have Owen make me one, or try to make something like that myself, although I'd be very lucky to get it to turn out half that nice.
"This is the way."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 06:27 PM »
I'm even more lucky that my wife lets me keep adding stuff to my collection that he's made.   :)

And yeah, I've spent tons of money buying stuff from him over the past year.  I'm just thankful he enjoys making things like this for other people.  And it's money well spent... his prices are very reasonable.

This will be one hell of a piece to add to the photonovels.   :)

« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 06:27 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 06:41 PM »
Holy crap, that is beyond awesome.  I wouldn't even know how to start a dio like that, let alone have it look 1/10,000th as nice.  Lucky bastard  ;)

CHEWIE - do you know Owen personally?  I would assume that you would have had to pick that up in person because I can't see how he could ship something like that and not have it destroyed.  ???
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 06:45 PM »
******* Awesome. Why can't Hasbro make something as cool as this? I'd gladly pay 50+ for it. Love the technicians in their computer trenches.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 07:06 PM »
That's worth way more than $50. If I had the money I wouldn't pay any less that $150 for something that nice. That no doubt took hours of work and paint/styrene isn't cheap.
"This is the way."

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 07:12 PM »
Damn! That is one outstanding dio. Owen puts Hasbros "work" to shame.
I remember my dream now.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 07:13 PM »
Holy ****, that's sick Justin!  :o

Damned beautiful...  Very jealous, I am.  Looking forward to seeing it in action in some of your future work...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005, 07:16 PM »
Yeah, it's safe to say that I paid more than $50.00 for it...

I do think though that if Hasbro made something like this, about a $50 or $60 pricetag would be fair because they could mass produce it.

Gregorbian - No, I don't know Owen personally but wish I did...  He does take great care in shipping however and uses very big boxes with loads and loads of packing material.  Of the 20 or so items I've ordered from him, everything has arrived in perfect condition... and I'm sure this one will too.  The Imperial base and the Command Center were both similar in size to this.

JediMAC - Yep, Owen D is the man.  His work is so good and I'm very glad that I am fortunate enough to have him make some of these items for me.

Offline Owen D

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Owens Customs
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005, 08:03 PM »
Thanks everyone, I'm glad this was so well received, it was a pleasure to make and it came out very nice.  Just wish I had more of the custom Imperial Techs made, I had to fill out the pit from the fodder bin.  BTW this should ship nicely, its square and has no movable parts.  Its a far cry from some of the projects I've sent out in the last year or so.  You could probably hit it with a hammer and do nothing more than dent the paint. 
Don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2005, 10:25 PM »
Wow.  This thing is fantastic.  Owen, I have a question for you...how do you get the rounded edges and slopes on the columns?  Is it just a thin styrene that is easy to bend?

Keep up the great, great work.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Quazar

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2005, 10:30 PM »
HOLY MOLEY!!!!

:o :o :o :o

Absolutely breathtaking!!!

This looks even better than Starconstrux.

You have topped yourself again, Owen....take a bow....

One question....will you ever do a second half?
Sith Lords Are Our Speciality

Offline Owen D

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Owens Customs
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2005, 11:41 PM »
Wow.  This thing is fantastic.  Owen, I have a question for you...how do you get the rounded edges and slopes on the columns?  Is it just a thin styrene that is easy to bend?

Keep up the great, great work.

Styrene is available in a lot of different thicknesses, most of what's seen in the bridge is very thick .060" (about a 1/16 of an inch thick) but the interior curves are made with sheets that are barely thicker than paper. Its just a matter of choosing between ease of use or structural needs.

Quazar- I probably won't make the other half unless someone would commission it, I tend to make very few customs for myself anymore due to lack of space in my apartment.
Don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.