Author Topic: What do you drive?  (Read 114953 times)

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: What do you drive?
« Reply #135 on: March 25, 2008, 12:12 PM »
So, the '95 Infiniti G20 I'd been wheeling around in finally gave its last gasp on March 9, and we had to pretty much immediately get a replacement vehicle for my commute to work. I started looking at the cheap, fuel-efficient compacts on the market, such as the Toyota Yaris, Hyundai Accent, Kia Rio, Honda Fit, and Nissan Versa. My wife wanted to consider a Prius, but after sitting in one (barely; they're pretty small) and seeing the price ($23k), I wasn't terribly impressed. After about a week of looking, we finally pulled the trigger on a Nissan Versa (ours is white).

It's got room for my 6'4" frame and plenty of room for a couple bulky carseats for the kids in the back; much more than the previous Infiniti. It handles really well, and has plenty of zip. So far, the actual gas mileage is an efficient 30 mpg, so I'm pleased with that. Overall, though, it's just nice to be driving something built this century.  :P :)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 25, 2008, 03:08 PM »
I have an '03 Hyunda Accent that has been the best car I've ever owned and I only paid 6K new for it. Its got 95K on it and not one problem so far (knock on wood). I typically get between 35-37 mpg on my way to work. Occassionally I get 40 when I decide to coast down the hill.

I'm looking for something newer to replace it. Something cheap with good gas milage. It can't be an american car. I've sworn off of them after having transmissions blow just outside of extended warrenties one too many times.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 25, 2008, 04:21 PM »
I have an '03 Hyunda Accent that has been the best car I've ever owned and I only paid 6K new for it. Its got 95K on it and not one problem so far (knock on wood). I typically get between 35-37 mpg on my way to work. Occassionally I get 40 when I decide to coast down the hill.

I'm looking for something newer to replace it. Something cheap with good gas milage. It can't be an american car. I've sworn off of them after having transmissions blow just outside of extended warrenties one too many times.

Why, may I ask, are you looking to replace it?  It only has 95k on it, gets great gas mileage, is only 5 years old at most, is most likely paid off, and hasn't given you one ounce of trouble -- sounds like a keeper. 
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 26, 2008, 10:38 AM »
A little querk of mine. I don't keep cars beyond five years. I guess its something my father engrained in me. He never kept a car beyond two years so I guess I'm a little less crazy than him.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 26, 2008, 03:22 PM »
Interesting that this topic popped up this week. In the last 2 weeks my wife and I have traded in our cars...

My wife was given her choice of whatever she wanted (so long as it would hold our daughter and the new baby safely)...We drove Volvo XC90's, Suburbans (she had one already), Nissan Murano's and MiniVans....she chose (no lie) a Honda Odyssey.  And I must say for a MiniVan this thing ROCKS.  Really peppy etc...

We were in a position however that we needed something that can Haul and Tow with the loss of the Suburban..so...I trade my BMW for a 2008 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4.  And I love it.

Funny thing is we are getting better combined mileage and the total payments are $300 a month lower.

Suburban got 15 mpg
BMW got 20 mpg

Minivan gets 22 mpg
Truck gets 18 mpg....(more on the highway)

I only drive 5 or so miles to work.  The longest trips I take during the week is to meet Rob for toy runs over in Hell, I mean Dallas.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #140 on: March 26, 2008, 03:51 PM »
I finally own my car, made the last payment about 2 months ago. Feels good to not have that monthly payment, figures that my ABS light went on yesterday though.  >:(
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 26, 2008, 05:36 PM »
If its US auto maker, you can expect the transmission to blow any day now.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 26, 2008, 11:02 PM »
If its US auto maker, you can expect the transmission to blow any day now.

Not looking forward to that provided it doesn't happen of course with my vehicle.  One of my family members purchased a used Vue and the transmission has gone out on that thing twice so far since owning it.  Thank *** for extended warranties.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Chris Wyman

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 16, 2008, 01:20 PM »
My current car:

1998 Chevy Camaro Z28

LS6 ported and polished heads
Texas Speed .228/.228 .588/.588 114 nice lope
LS6 intake
LS6 oil pump
SLP ram air (under the car ram air)
Granatelli MAF
Mac shorty headers and off road Y-pipe
Flowmaster Cat Back w/ stock tips
Centerforce Clutch
B&M ripper shifter
2000 17" Z06 Corvette wheels w/ 275's
SLP front grille
Full BMR suspention components except springs and shocks

President - Tampa Star Wars Club
Co-Founder - Star Wars Grand Florida Alliance
Administrator - Wedge Collection Engine
"Star Wars Is Forever"

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 16, 2008, 01:55 PM »
I did drive a 02 Ford Focus till last October. I miss that car, it never gave me any trouble.

I remember my dream now.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 16, 2008, 02:00 PM »
Holy crap    :o   I sure hope you didn't have anybody in the back seat.

I'm still driving my 06 Taurus and it's been very nice to me except for the fact that it's a gas hog.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 16, 2008, 02:25 PM »
I keep meaning to get pics up of my cars. 

I drive a 2000 F150 4x4, that I absolutely love. No so good on gas, but I work 2.2 miles from home and put about 6000 miles on the truck last year.  I may buy a Jeep at some point in the next year or two but it's hard to justify that when my truck is paid off and in excellent mechanical shape.

My wife drives a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe.  Not the best on gas mileage, but she only works about 8 miles from the house.  Her car gets around 15mpg, so that is a better than my 12mpg...guess which one we drive around town?
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 16, 2008, 03:31 PM »
I did drive a 02 Ford Focus till last October. I miss that car, it never gave me any trouble.

OUCH! :o

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 17, 2008, 04:32 AM »
My current car:

1998 Chevy Camaro Z28

LS6 ported and polished heads
Texas Speed .228/.228 .588/.588 114 nice lope
LS6 intake
LS6 oil pump
SLP ram air (under the car ram air)
Granatelli MAF
Mac shorty headers and off road Y-pipe
Flowmaster Cat Back w/ stock tips
Centerforce Clutch
B&M ripper shifter
2000 17" Z06 Corvette wheels w/ 275's
SLP front grille
Full BMR suspention components except springs and shocks

Damn, she's a beauty.

It was a crime when Chevy retired the Camaro, but it looks like the break was actually a good thing based one what I've seen of the new model for 2009/2010.  I plan to have a convertible, so I'll have to wait until 2010.  I just wish they would hurry up and give us more info of what's to come so I can plan my order further.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #149 on: April 17, 2008, 05:14 AM »
Nice ride JGordon24

Here's mine:

1995 Chevy Camaro Z28
64,500 miles (original motor)
LT-1 350 cid